Re: [biblicalapologetics] Question

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 2, 2006
      We do??????

      chaplain <chaplain@...> wrote:
       We all know Jesus was God, therefore he doesn't have to state it every time he brings up a subject. Chaplain Dan
      .

    • bailysandy
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 15, 2006
        --- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, "Bob, Just call me Bob"
        <caliburndulac@...> wrote:

        > Greetings,
        >
        > I was told something the other day in a bible-study
        > and it just absolutely amazed me. I wanted to see how
        > other people feel about it and get some perspectives.
        > The setting was a study on the nature of prayer, the
        > context of the issue began as a question of whether we
        > should direct prayer to Jesus or to God. Given my
        > obvious prejudices on the subject, I submitted
        > unequivicoly that prayer should be addressed to God.
        > The response amazed me. Many (perhaps even most...
        > and these are some pretty devout Christians) in the
        > group actually agreed with me, one of whom pointed out
        > that Jesus gave example of and even instruction in
        > prayer and that he both showed and instructed that
        > prayer was to the father.
        > I feel Jesus let us know many times He was God gor example b4
        Abraham was I am. He hinted wround to it all the time he probably
        wanted people to get what he was saying and think it through to come
        to that conclusion. That is why thry picked up stones to stone him.

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 15, 2006
          A thought or two.

          <caliburndulac@ ...> wrote:

          > Greetings,
          >
          > I was told something the other day in a bible-study
          > and it just absolutely amazed me. I wanted to see how
          > other people feel about it and get some perspectives.
          > The setting was a study on the nature of prayer, the
          > context of the issue began as a question of whether we
          > should direct prayer to Jesus or to God. Given my
          > obvious prejudices on the subject, I submitted
          > unequivicoly that prayer should be addressed to God.
          > The response amazed me. Many (perhaps even most...
          > and these are some pretty devout Christians) in the
          > group actually agreed with me, one of whom pointed out
          > that Jesus gave example of and even instruction in
          > prayer and that he both showed and instructed that
          > prayer was to the father.

          Correct.
          > I feel Jesus let us know many times He was God gor example b4
          Abraham was I am.
          Nope a misaplication of ego eimi.

          >He hinted wround to it all the time he probably
          wanted people to get what he was saying and think it through to come
          to that conclusion. That is why thry picked up stones to stone him.

          Nope, they tried to kill him on other occasions for other thewn legitimate reasons.
          > The leader of the group then made the point (which is
          > the focus of my interest) that when Christ instructed
          > people on prayer, he had not yet accomplished the
          > purpose for which he came and therefore he could not
          > give the whole story. In other words, his instruction
          > was incomplete because he could not yet explain fully
          > that he was, indeed, God himself. I left it alone,
          > but it has bothered me ever since. Thusly, I just
          > wanted to throw the point out to some other Christians
          > to see where they stand on it.
          An interesting theory but no scriptures to support it. On the basis argued above, we could say that everything that jesus taight was incomplete since he was justa  man on earth. That is not really a good position to take.

           > My problem, of course, is that Christianity has
          > managed to essentially negate almost the entirety of
          > the "Old Testament" by saying that God played "I've
          > got a secret" all through it. Given that, now I learn
          > that Jesus played "I've got a secret" throughout the
          > vast majority of the Gospels (after all, very little
          > of his ministry comes after the crucifiction and
          > resurrection) . Does that mean that Christians now
          > only have the books attributed to Paul, Timothy, Peter
          > and John to really trust for accurate information
          > regarding God?
          Nope, as he gave us accurate information and all that we need to understand it. The other books expand on many of his teachings as well as provide new and needed direction. The OT is not negated, it is a harmonious part. Remember "all scripture' to a 1st century believer was basically the OT.

          > I am not trying to be controversial here, I really
          > would like to know people's thoughts.

          A few of mine.