896Fwd: questions

  • jeep_dj5
    Jul 11, 2005
      Some Questions For The Believer

      1) How would you define "God," and why are you convinced such
      thing exists?

      2) If everything needs a creator, then who or what created God?

      3) How can something that cannot be described be said to

      4) Since there are countless religions in the world today claiming
      to the "one true religion," why do you think your beliefs are the
      correct ones?

      5) Since these religions make opposing claims, can more than
      one of
      them be right?

      6) If you feel "in your heart" that your religion is the right one,
      how do you answer those of other faiths who claim the same

      7) How is it possible to settle the debate as to which of these
      religions, if any, is correct?

      8) Why does your god allow all these false religions to exist?

      9) Is the bloody history of Christianity consistent with what is
      supposed to be a religion of love, or does it instead show the
      consequences of abandoning reason for faith?

      10) If everything is the product of a "grand design" by an
      omniscient, benevolent designer, why is the history of life so
      filled with horrible suffering, blundering waste, and miserable
      failures? Why does this god go through billions of years of such
      carnage without yet arriving at his goal?

      11) Why did your god intervene so many times in human affairs
      antiquity (according to the Bible) and yet not do a single thing
      during modern times?

      12) Why should one's inner convictions about the existence of
      indicate that such a being exists outside of the believer's own
      mind? In other words, if we can rely on subjective "intuitions"
      about god, why can't we rely on subjective intuitions about
      devils, witches, and other supernatural agents?

      13) If you claim that the Resurrection (accompanied by two major
      earthquakes and zombies arising from their graves, according
      gospel of Matthew, an eclipse according to Luke) they why are
      no extra-biblical records of these events?

      14) If you claim that the gospels are eye-witness accounts of
      events, then why do they disagree so widely over what

      15) Can a god who would abandon his children when they
      needed him
      the most (as during the Holocaust of the Second World War) still
      considered "all-good"?

      16) If something is not rational, should it be believed anyway?

      17) If the god of the Bible is "all-good," why does he himself say
      that he created evil (Isaiah 45: 7)?

      18) Is there a better way than reason to acquire knowledge and

      19) If you would answer #16 with "faith," then why are there so
      contradictory faiths in the world?

      20) Is comfort more important to you than intellectual integrity?

      21) What would it take to convince you that you are wrong?

      22) If no rational argument can convince you that you are wrong,
      then why should anyone with a different point of view see your
      as anything other than a cult?

      23) If an atheist lives a decent, moral life, why should a loving,
      compassionate god care whether or not we believe in him?

      24) Why is faith (belief without evidence) considered a virtue?

      25) How is faith without evidence any different from gullibility?

      26) Should any religion that demands we elevate faith over
      reason be

      27) Why do so many religious people thank god when they
      survive a
      disaster, yet fail to be angry with him for causing the disaster in
      the first place?

      28) If you insist that the atheist disprove the god of the Bible,
      are you prepared to disprove the existence of Zeus, Odin, Ran
      all the other ancient gods and goddesses?

      29) Why is the number of atheists in prisons disproportionately
      smaller than their numbers in the general population?

      30) Is the brutal, vengeful and bloodthirsty god as depicted in the
      Old Testament still a loving god? Or is the Old Testament (which
      Jesus was supposed to uphold "every jot and tittle") wrong?

      31) How can the same god that, according to the Old Testament,
      killed everybody on Earth except for four people (Noah's Flood)
      considered as anything other than evil?

      32) Is the acceptance of religious mysticism, magic and
      consistent with our understanding of good mental health?

      33) In order to be good Christians, must we really do as Jesus
      in Luke 14: 26 and hate ourselves and our families?

      34) Since the ancient world abounded with tales of resurrected
      Savior-Gods that were supposed to have returned from the dead
      to "save" humanity, why should the Jesus story be considered
      while the others are regarded as false?

      35) If the Bible is the standard for morality, why does it not
      forbid slavery and war crimes, such as those committed by the

      36) If the Bible is the inerrant word of God, why does it contain so
      many factual errors and contradictions, such as the two
      contradictory accounts of Creation in Genesis?

      37) Why isn't the Bible written in a straightforward way which
      leaves no doubt about what it means? In other words, why are
      so many Christian sects?

      38) The last time Christianity attained total power, it resulted in
      the Dark Ages, so why should we expect anything different from
      Christian fundamentalists today?

      39) Has anyone ever been killed in the name of atheism?

      40) Why does history show that every time a fundamentalist
      has gained political power, tyranny and persecutions have soon

      --- End forwarded message ---
    • Show all 78 messages in this topic