719Re: [biblicalapologetics] Re: Varves

  • JesusTrance
    Dec 6, 2004

      >It gets worse for the YEC idea that all these varves were laid down
      >in one flood event. Thousands of the layers show signs of being
      >exposed or in shallow water for extended periods. There are
      >thousands of coprolites, (fossilized droppings), on the surfaces of
      >these layers, along with the tracks of wading birds.
      >
      >Also, thousands of these varves have stromatolite deposits in them.
      >Stromatolites result from the deposition of minerals that precipitate
      >out in a definite sequence due to their chemical composition. They
      >form in shallow areas where their concentrations become high due to
      >evaporation during dry seasons. This takes time. LOTS of time. The
      >flood of Genesis only lasted 9 months or thereabouts.

      Unless you are misstating yourself here, you have only been referring to
      proofs for "thousands of years" - something YEC has no problem with.
      Obviously, not *all* of the varves were laid down in the flood. It's the
      millions-and-billions of years proofs you need to back up your OEC
      position, however...

      Also, you reference stromatolites as evidence, when you yourself also
      state that they only form in shallow areas (and thus can be mixed with
      storm varves.) Wouldn't this pollute you data?

      As for the flood of Genesis lasting only nine months, do you mean
      "lasting" as in still raining, or "lasting" as in water still on the
      earth? Scripture *clearly* states it took a year exactly for the water
      to recede off the earth completely (Gen. 7:11 & Gen. 8:13), while it
      also *very clearly* states that it only rained 40 days and 40 nights
      (Gen. 7:12).

      Again I ask: what convinces you of your OEC position, your science or
      your scriptures?

      --

      - Bryon Jr.

      "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding."
      Proverbs 9:10 (KJV)
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic