663Re: [biblicalapologetics] Consistent Inconsistencies:

  • nomad@nomadicoder.com
    Nov 4, 2004
      Hi all,

      I came across a related passage that had me scratching my head.

      Romans 16:1-2 says "I commend to you our sister Phoebe, who is a servant
      of the church which is at Cenchrea; that you receive her in the Lord in
      a manner worthy of the saints, and that you help her in whatever matter
      she may have need of you; for she herself has also been a helper of
      many, and of myself as well."

      Here Paul asks the commends the Romans into the trust of Phoebe. First,
      that she is a servant of the Cenchrean church, and second that she has
      been a helper of many, she seems to have been a deaconess. But if she
      is a deaconess, then that seems to violate I Tim 3:8-12. My reading of
      the NASB version of I Tim 3:11 seems to include women as deaconesses.
      But can "women" can be translated as "wives." and this is supposed to
      apply to the wife of a deacon? The KJV does, but it draws this as an
      inference. The on-line Bible I checked phrases it this way, "Even so
      [must their] wives [be] grave, not slanderers, sober, faithful in all
      things."

      Back to Romans... The Romans are to "help her in whatever matter she may
      have need of [them]," Paul is asking the Roman church to follow her
      directions. In any event, Paul reconizes this woman has a leadership
      role in the church.

      Are these contradictions? I don't think so. If she is a deaconess,
      which I believe she is, then she must carry out her duties as a servant
      of the church. If there men assist her, then in order for her to carry
      out the service with which she has been entrusted, she, by necessity,
      must tell them what needs to be done.

      Steven