      From: Chris Criminger [mailto:chris_criminger@...]
      Sent: Monday, November 01, 2004 6:30 AM
      To: biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [biblicalapologetics] The Disciple Whom Jesus Loved

      Jeff said,
      I would have a problem with any NT book being written by a woman.  Paul taught that he did not allow a woman to exercise authority or teach in church, because the woman was created after the man, and she is the one that was deceived.  How much more would the same principles apply to teaching that applies to the entire Church, rather than a local congregation.  If there was a book purporting to be written by a woman disciple and to be authoritative as Scripture, the fact that it was written by a woman along would be grounds for rejecting it, regardless of its content.

      RE:  Hi  Jeff,
      Whether it's preaching or teaching, all of it is under the authority of God, God's Word, the elders or leaders of a church, and even the congregation.  In other words, it's all *delegated authority*!  I wouild rather have a woman teacher who taught The Word properly than a man who did not.  I find it strange logic that women are often entrusted to teaching the Word of God to children which has more influence of mollding and shaping people's attitudes, beliefs, and behavioir than anything they do as an adult but they can't teach a boy who just turned 18 (or fit in your own magic number) because now he is a "man?"  Unfortunately, some of our theology really *sounds* like in the end, the disciples whom Jesus loved most are men! (I mean, all twelve disciples were *male* or so the argument goes). The situation in the Ephesian Church in First Timothy was one of power plays by women trying to grab the positions of Elders who did the teaching in the church.  The issue is not that woman can not teach or even teach men but that they were trying to grab leadership positions in the church.

      Shalom  -  Chris C.