2992Re: Theistic Evolution

  • Isa
    Feb 10, 2011
      Hi, Arcee,Bill, and all:

      Here is the most relevant section of the position of the Roman Catholic Church, Re: Theistic Evolution and how to interprete Genesis:

      Catholic theologian Ludwig Ott in his authoritative Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma, under the section "The Divine Work of Creation," (pages 92-122) covers the "biblical hexaemeron" (the "six days" of creation), the creation of man, Adam/Eve, original sin, the Fall, and the statements of the early Fathers, Saints, Church Councils, and Popes relevant to the matter. Ott makes the following comments on the "science" of Genesis and the Fathers:

      "...Since the findings of reason and the supernatural knowledge of Faith go back to the same source, namely to God, there can never be a real contradiction between the certain discoveries of the profane sciences and the Word of God properly understood." (Ott, page 92).

      (NOTE: "Word of God, properly understood!")

      As the Sacred Writer had not the intention of representing with scientific accuracy the intrinsic constitution of things, and the sequence of the works of creation but of communicating knowledge in a popular way suitable to the idiom and to the pre-scientific development of his time, the account is not to be regarded or measured as if it were couched in language which is strictly scientific... The Biblical account of the duration and order of Creation is merely a literary clothing of the religious truth that the whole world was called into existence by the creative word of God. The Sacred Writer utilized for this purpose the pre-scientific picture of the world existing at the time. The numeral six of the days of Creation is to be understood as an anthropomorphism. God's work of creation represented in schematic form (opus distinctionis -- opus ornatus) by the picture of a human working week, the termination of the work by the picture of the Sabbath rest. The purpose of this literary device is to manifest Divine approval of the working week and the Sabbath rest." (Ott, page 93, cf. Exod 20:8)

      Pope John Paul II wrote to the Pontifical Academy of Sciences on . . . how to interpret Genesis:

      "Cosmogony and cosmology have always aroused great interest among peoples and religions. The Bible itself speaks to us of the origin of the universe and its make-up, not in order to provide us with a scientific treatise, but in order to state the correct relationships of man with God and with the universe. Sacred Scripture wishes simply to declare that the world was created by God, and in order to teach this truth it expresses itself in the terms of the cosmology in use at the time of the writer. The Sacred Book likewise wishes to tell men that the world was not created as the seat of the gods, as was taught by other cosmogonies and cosmologies, but was rather created for the service of man and the glory of God. Any other teaching about the origin and make-up of the universe is alien to the intentions of the Bible, which does not wish to teach how heaven was made but how one goes to heaven." (John Paul II, 3 October 1981 to the Pontifical Academy of Science, "Cosmology and Fundamental Physics")

      As I have stated before, discussions of this kind belong to the academe which does not lead to faith or commitment or to action TO CALL ALL NATIONS TO LIVE ACCORDING TO THE WAYS OF THE SPIRIT AND NO LONGER ACCORDING TO THE WAYS OF THE WORLD but, as John Paul II said, is "alien to the intentions of the Bible, which does not wish to teach how heaven was made but how one goes to heaven." Or to attain eternal life!

      God bless.

      Isa
      -----

      -- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, Arcee A <truthseeker41471@...> wrote:

      > Hi Isa,
      >
      > Wow! Quite a lengthy read. I've not finished reading it though it seems that
      > we agree on this one point, and let me quote you: "FAITH and REASON are not
      > mutually exclusive but rather are mutually supportive of one another."
      >
      > And since you pointed me to this resource, let me point you to Rob's book, (yes
      > Rob Bowman, Jr. - our moderator and founder of this forum) which has this
      > title:
      >
      > Faith Has Its Reasons
      >
      > God bless!
      >
      > Arcee
      >

      > "I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because
      > I see it, but because by it I see everything else." - C.S. Lewis

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic