2991Re: Theistic Evolution

  • William
    Feb 8, 2011
      Arcee,

      I agree that we need to be cautious in what order we read evidence in regards to creation, but we also need to use caution in reading translations due to the bias of the translators. For instance, Hrry Orlinsky in "The Plain Meaning of Genesis 1:1-3" (Biblical Archeologist, 1983) suggests that stating that God created the heaven (reportedly the literal Hebrew) and the earth, merely implies that God created everything. Attempting to read more into these verses is to move beyond what the Bible claims.

      However, we also need to be cautious in seeking to place the Bible over the discoveries of science. Remember Aquinas "A mistake about creation will lead to a mistake about God" and that Maimodes argued that the Bible and science will not conflict when both are properly understood. The challenge is then to understand both science and the Bible in a way that allows both to be accurate. The materialistic approach will not do so. To resort to the MultiWorld Interpretation of quantum physics might offer a solution, but I would argue that in fact it fails to do justice to the Bible. Thus there are indications that such an approach will not be an easy task, for to do wo will require a paradigm shift.

      Bill

      --- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, Arcee A <truthseeker41471@...> wrote:

      > Hi William,
      >
      > I think the problem is not with the available evidence but how to interpret the
      > evidence. Do you start with what you see in the world and interpret the Bible
      > based on what you see, or do you start with the Bible and then interpret the
      > evidence based on what you have read in it? As for me, well... just take a look
      > at the bottom of my signature to see my position :)
      > God bless!
      >

      > Arcee
      >

      > "I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen. Not only because
      > I see it, but because by it I see everything else." - C.S. Lewis

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic