2793"Deuteronomy 25:11" By Joseph Y. Lee

  • josephylee@aol.com
    Feb 25, 2010
      Deuteronomy 25:11
      By Joseph Y. Lee

      "If a woman tries to defend her husband and accidentally
      touches the genitals of another man while fighting she
      is to have her hand cut off." Deuteronomy 25:11

      This verse in the Bible did seem troubling. However, I
      wanted to make a note that God was basically trying to
      save the woman's life in a male chauvinistic, male dominant,
      and stubborn Hebrew community. If God were not to ordain
      Deuteronomy 25:11, then the Hebrew community would have
      stoned the woman for touching another man's genitals,
      regardless whether or not she touched another man's
      genitals by accident. God did find male chauvinism evil.
      (Galatians 3:28-29) He also knew that the Hebrew people
      are evil, stubborn, and unforgiving (Hosea 4:16, Psalms
      78:8) although He was willing to forgive the woman for
      committing the accidental contact.

      When God made this edict, God was trying to do two things
      - deterrence and restoration by saving her life.

      Through deterrence, He tried to prevent that from
      happening in the future by deterring all contact of
      another man's genitals. Fear could deter all future
      accidental and intentional acts of touching another
      man's genitals. Fear and deterrence was an effective
      means to avoid war between the United States and the
      Soviet Union during the Cold War. If the US and
      Soviets were mature enough to avoid a nuclear war,
      then it would be reasonable to assume that the women
      of the Hebrew community could take extra care not to
      make this mistake intentionally or by accident.

      Nevertheless, it was possible that accidents did occur
      such that it was required by Hebrew traditions, not law,
      to punish the woman through execution. It seemed extremely
      cruel of God to have her hand severed to save her life,
      despite His intent to save her life. The gravity of the
      Hebrew community’s sin was great, and they were a stubborn
      people. According to the Hebrew community traditions and
      culture, severing her hand could restore her back into the
      community even though it seemed extremely cruel.

      When my father had a heart attack, it seemed so cruel that
      my father almost died of a heart attack on September 1, 2001.
      I did thank God it happened because my father missed a
      business appointment on September 11, 2001 at New Jersey. It
      was the same day when the terrorists attacked the World Trade
      Center in New York City and Pentagon at Washington, D.C.
      Sometimes, many horrible things happen so that God can
      sanctify and save us.

      Copyright - CHEMISTRY (CHristian E-mail MIniSTRY)
      E-mail: JosephYLee@...
      Website: http://www.josephylee.org