2392Re: Ayn Rand on Original Sin

  • Kevin Bywater
    Jul 2, 2009
      --- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, "Heinz Schmitz" <christian_skeptic@...> wrote:

      > I am not talking of her complete objectivist worldview, I am talking of her one view about original sin, of which she is dead on.
      > Heinz

      Actually, Rand is not correct. Perhaps you could find some Christians so have said some things that somewhat resemble Rand's caricature. If that satisfies you, then so be it. But I've not found her descriptions matching up with any Christian theologian I've ever read. If you know otherwise, I'm certainly open to the learning experience.

      I know you were not advocating for "objectivism." I just felt that given the constellation of ethics and virtue and responsibility and such, one should keep in mind the fundamental and fatal flaws of Randian philosophy, as well as how these flaws color her assessment of others.

      You mentioned Stossel in another message. I very much appreciate his work. I'm quite sympathetic with Libertarian leanings. Even so, "greed" is not univocally defined by economists (or others), and sometimes it is contrasted with "self interest." For instance, Jay Richards recently published a book on economics ("Money, Greed and God: Why Capitalism Is the Solution and not the Problem") that makes this point (among others that he makes as he contrasts his views with those of Rand and others).

      Cheers,
      Kevin
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic