2386The Trinity is not polytheism

    Jul 2 10:25 AM
      Heinz,

      You wrote:

      << The trinity doctrine is pure polytheism. This is of course not as most Christians view it, but the only reason it is monotheistic in their view is because they have declared it so, but once you remove the rhetoric and the apologetics, we are left with a pluralized god. When I point this fact out, the charge is made against me that I simply don't understand it, and my arguments are really attacking a strawman, when in the end, I understand it better than they. >>

      Heinz, you went from being an anti-Trinitarian Jehovah's Witness to being an anti-Trinitarian skeptic. Your antipathy toward the doctrine of the Trinity is consistent with your religious background.

      The doctrine of the Trinity is not at all polytheistic. Polytheism is the belief in separate deities that have differing fields of influence or domains over which they exert control.

      "There are many gods because man experiences the world in its variety and manifoldness. Hence there is also specialization among the gods, of a nature that is either local and tribal-ethnic (gods of specific localities, cities, countries, families) or functional (gods of specific arts, gods of illness, cure, fertility, rains, hunting, fishing, etc.).... An important corollary of polytheism is that, though the major deities can be very powerful, no god can be omnipotent. Only a monotheistic god, being _monos_, can be all-powerful." "Polytheism," in _The Encyclopedia of Religion, ed. Mircea Eliade, 11:438.

      Anyone who has even a modicum of understanding of the doctrine of the Trinity knows that it does not come close to fitting this description of polytheism.