      From: markcevallos <markcevallos@...>
      To: biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, August 4, 2008 12:26:51 AM
      Subject: [biblicalapologetics] Hades shall not prevail

      Hi Mr. Bowman and BA Guys,

      The Philippines is a dominantly Catholic country, and I grew up with
      the upbringing of a devoutly catholic parents and relatives. In fact,
      I went to a catholic school and served as an altar person and was even
      a member the Mary's White League before I really became a christian.
      Although I still appreciate the rich traditions of the Roman Church, I
      am well aware that many of them are unbiblical. Lately however, I
      wondered how we should respond to some catholic friends quoting
      Matthew 16:18, and then asserting that the Roman church is the only
      christian institution that can claim direct apostolic succession. They
      are implying that protestantism just came out of nowhere and
      arrogantly claimmed the authority for interpreting what christianity
      ought to be. Honestly, Since I am new believer (I becvame a christian
      in 2003) I don't know how to respond to this, especially because I am
      not aware of any group before the reformation, save the Waldenses, who
      held a view of Christianity similar to ours (evangelicals) today.
      Certainly the Lord promised that the gates of hell, but the question
      always comes up, where was protestantism before the reformation?

      Sincerely,
      Mark

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic