1834Re: Hegesippus's report on James the Just

  • wglmp
    Dec 18, 2007
      --- In biblicalapologetics@yahoogroups.com, Muz Joy <muzzerbud@...>
      wrote:

      > Mr Tillman...
      >
      > Quote: "Scholars have long stated that there is little or no
      evidence Jesus lived".

      > Could you give us an idea who those scholars are and references to
      their writings? It would help me a great deal to try and understand
      just where you are really coming from. Generalizations like that have
      the effect of diminishing one's argument.<

      I quote Hugh Fogelman and John Stone's piece entitled The Christ: A
      Critical Review and Analysis of the Evidence of His Existence, John
      E. Remsburg, The Truth Seeker Company, NY, pp. 24-25),
      is one such. The argument goes like this:

      John E. Remsburg, in his classic book The Christ: A Critical Review
      and Analysis of the Evidence of His Existence lists the following
      contemporary historians/writers who lived during the time, or within
      a century after the time, that Jesus was supposed to have lived:

      Apollonius Persius, Appian Petronius, Arrian Phaedrus, Aulus Gellius
      Philo-Judaeus, Columella Phlegon, Damis Pliny the Elder, Dio
      Chrysostom Pliny the Younger, Dion Pruseus Plutarch,Epictetus Pompon
      Mela, Favorinus Ptolemy,Florus Lucius Quintilian, Hermogones Quintius
      Curtius, Josephus Seneca, Justus of Tiberius Silius Italicus, Juvenal
      Statius, Lucanus Suetonius,Lucian Tacitus, Lysias Theon of Smyran,
      Martial Valerius Flaccus, Paterculus Valerius Maximus
      Pausanias

      According to Remsburg, "Enough of the writings of the authors named
      in the foregoing list remains to form a library. Yet in this mass of
      Jewish and Pagan literature, aside from two forged passages in the
      works of a Jewish author, and two disputed passages in the works of
      Roman writers, there is to be found no mention of Jesus Christ." Nor,
      we may add, do any of these authors make note of the Disciples or
      Apostles; increasing the embarrassment from the silence of history
      concerning the foundation of Christianity. In other words, the only
      information of the life of Jesus comes from Christian believers.

      ____________
      Now I quote:
      THE ORIGINS OF CHRISTIANITY AND THE QUEST FOR THE HISTORICAL JESUS
      CHRIST by Acharya S *

      This controversy has existed from the very beginning, and the
      writings of the "Church Fathers" themselves reveal that they were
      constantly forced by the pagan intelligentsia to defend what the non–
      Christians and other Christians ("heretics")4 alike saw as a
      preposterous and fabricated yarn with absolutely no evidence of it
      ever having taken place in history. As Rev. Robert Taylor says, "And
      from the apostolic age downwards, in a never interrupted succession,
      but never so strongly and emphatically as in the most primitive
      times, was the existence of Christ as a man most strenuously
      denied."5 Emperor Julian, who, coming after the reign of the
      fanatical and murderous "good Christian" Constantine, returned rights
      to pagan worshippers, stated, "If anyone should wish to know the
      truth with respect to you Christians, he will find your impiety to be
      made up partly of the Jewish audacity, and partly of the indifference
      and confusion of the Gentiles, and that you have put together not the
      best, but the worst characteristics of them both."6 According to
      these learned dissenters, the New Testament could rightly be
      called, "Gospel Fictions."7

      A century ago, mythicist Albert Churchward said, "The canonical
      gospels can be shown to be a collection of sayings from the Egyptian
      Mythos and Eschatology."8 In Forgery in Christianity, Joseph Wheless
      states, "The gospels are all priestly forgeries over a century after
      their pretended dates."9 Those who concocted some of the hundreds
      of "alternative" gospels and epistles that were being kicked about
      during the first several centuries C.E. have even admitted that they
      had forged the documents.10 Forgery during the first centuries of the
      Church's existence was admittedly rampant, so common in fact that a
      new phrase was coined to describe it: "pious fraud."11 Such
      prevarication is confessed to repeatedly in the Catholic
      Encyclopedia.12 Some of the "great" church fathers, such as
      Eusebius13, were determined by their own peers to be unbelievable
      liars who regularly wrote their own fictions of what "the Lord" said
      and did during "his" alleged sojourn upon the earth.14

      footnotes:
      4. "Those who denied the humanity of Christ were the first class of
      professing Christians, and not only first in order of time, but in
      dignity of character, in intelligence, and in moral influence."
      (Taylor) While those who held onto the millennia–old gnostic Mythos
      of Christ preceded the carnalizers, or sarkolaters (those who made
      Christ into flesh), having long–established rituals and doctrines, it
      was they who were accused of being heretics by their younger,
      ignorant, carnalizing cousins, who were in reality the true heretics.
      Taylor: "The deniers of the humanity of Christ, or, in a word,
      professing Christians, who denied that any such man as Jesus Christ
      ever existed at all, but who took the name Jesus Christ to signify
      only an abstraction, or prosopopæia, the principle of Reason
      personified; and who understood the whole gospel story to be a
      sublime allegory . . . these were the first, and (it is not dishonour
      to Christianity to pronounce them) the best and most rational
      Christians."

      5. Rev. Robert Taylor, The Diegesis. Rev. Taylor was an English
      clergyman widely known for his "heretical" sermons, which he began to
      deliver after discovering, through a superior classical education,
      that Christ was a mythological character. He was twice imprisoned in
      England in the 1820's for "blasphemy." Taylor was one of the
      early "freethinkers," although he maintained he was a "Deist," and,
      therefore, not an atheist. Taylor suffered tremendous persecution for
      his stance, yet from his prison cell, he composed The Diegesis, a
      remarkable and scholarly dissertation of the highest quality.

      6. Ibid.

      7. With acknowledgment to Randel Helms, author of Gospel Fictions.

      8. The Origin and Evolution of Religion by Albert Churchward.

      9. Forgery in Christianity by Joseph Wheless: "As said by the great
      critic, Salomon Reinach, `With the exception of Papias, who speaks of
      a narrative by Mark, and a collection of sayings of Jesus, no
      Christian writer of the first half of the second century (i.e., up to
      150 A.D.) quotes the Gospels or their reputed authors.'" In The Book
      Your Church Doesn't Want You to Read, John Remsburg states: "The Four
      Gospels were unknown to the early Christian Fathers. Justin Martyr,
      the most eminent of the early Fathers, wrote about the middle of the
      second century. His writings in proof of the divinity of Christ
      demanded the use of these Gospels had they existed in his time. He
      makes more than 300 quotations from the books of the Old Testament,
      and nearly one hundred from the Apocryphal books of the New
      Testament; but none from the four Gospels. Rev. Giles says: `The very
      names of the Evangelists, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, are never
      mentioned by him (Justin) – do not occur once in all his writings.'"
      In A Short History of the Bible, Keeler says, "The books [canonical
      gospels] are not heard of till 150 A.D., that is, till Jesus had been
      dead nearly a hundred and twenty years. No writer before 150 A.D.
      makes the slightest mention of them."

      10. Wheless quotes the Catholic Encyclopedia: "Enterprising spirits
      responded to this natural craving by pretended gospels full of
      romantic fables, and fantastic and striking details; their
      fabrications were eagerly read and accepted as true by common folk
      who were devoid of any critical faculty and who were predisposed to
      believe what so luxuriously fed their pious curiosity. Both Catholics
      and Gnostics were concerned in writing these fictions. The former had
      no motive other than that of a PIOUS FRAUD." (NB: "C.E."
      denotes "Common Era" and is equivalent to "A.D.," whereas "B.C.E."
      denotes "Before the Common Era" and is equivalent to "B.C." )

      11. Wheless, op cit. Mangasarian states: "The church historian,
      Mosheim, writes that, `The Christian Fathers deemed it a pious act to
      employ deception and fraud.' [Ecclesiastical Hist., Vol. I, p. 347.]
      Again, he says: `The greatest and most pious teachers were nearly all
      of them infected with this leprosy.' Will not some believer tell us
      why forgery and fraud were necessary to prove the historicity of
      Jesus. . . . Another historian, Milman, writes that, `Pious fraud was
      admitted and avowed by the early missionaries of Jesus.' `It was an
      age of literary frauds,' writes Bishop Ellicott, speaking of the
      times immediately following the alleged crucifixion of Jesus. Dr.
      Giles declares that, `There can be no doubt that great numbers of
      books were written with no other purpose than to deceive.' And it is
      the opinion of Dr. Robertson Smith that, `There was an enormous
      floating mass of spurious literature created to suit party views.'"

      12. Wheless: "The clerical confessions of lies and frauds in the
      ponderous volumes of the Catholic Encyclopedia alone suffice . . . to
      wreck the Church and to destroy utterly the Christian religion. . . .
      The Church exists mostly for wealth and self–aggrandizement; to quit
      paying money to the priests would kill the whole scheme in a couple
      of years. This is the sovereign remedy."

      13. In one of his works, Eusebius provides this handy chapter
      entitled: "How it may be Lawful and Fitting to use Falsehood as
      Medicine, and for the Benefit of those who Want to be Deceived."
      (Wheless) Wheless also calls Justin Martyr, Eusebius and
      Tertullian "three luminous liars." Keeler: "The early Christian
      fathers were extremely ignorant and superstitious; and they were
      singularly incompetent to deal with the supernatural."

      14. Wheless. "If the pious Christians, confessedly, committed so
      many and so extensive forgeries and frauds to adapt these popular
      Jewish fairy–tales of their God and holy Worthies to the new
      Christian Jesus and his Apostles, we need feel no surprise when we
      discover these same Christians forging outright new wonder–tales of
      their Christ under the fiction of the most noted Christian names and
      in the guise of inspired Gospels, Epistles, Acts and
      Apocalypses. . . . Half a hundred of false and forged
      Apostolic `Gospels of Jesus Christ,' together with more numerous
      other `Scripture' forgeries, was the output, so far as known now, of
      the lying pens of the pious Christians of the first two centuries of
      the Christian `Age of Apocryphal Literature' . . . `Almost every one
      of the Apostles had a Gospel fathered upon him by one early sect or
      another.' . . .If the Gospel tales were true, why should God need
      pious lies to give them credit? Lies and forgeries are only needed to
      bolster up falsehood. . . But Jesus Christ must needs be propagated
      by lies upon lies; and what better proof of his actuality than to
      exhibit letters written by him in his own handwriting? The `Little
      Liars of the Lord' were equal to the forgery of the signature of
      their God – false letters in his name, as above cited from that
      exhaustless mine of clerical falsities, the Catholic Encyclopedia
      [C.E.] . . . The forged New Testament booklets and the foolish
      writings of the Fathers, are the sole `evidence' we have for the
      alleged facts and doctrines of our most holy Faith, as is admitted by
      C.E."
      -=-=-=
      * About the Author
      Acharya S was classically educated at some of the finest schools,
      receiving an undergraduate degree in Classics, Greek Civilization,
      from Franklin & Marshall College. She is a member of one of the
      world's most exclusive institutes for the study of Ancient Greek
      Civilization, the American School of Classical Studies at Athens,
      Greece:

      Acharya S has served as a trench master on archaeological excavations
      in Corinth, Greece, and Connecticut, USA, as well as a teacher's
      assistant on the island of Crete.

      Acharya S has traveled extensively around Europe, and she speaks,
      reads and/or writes English, Greek, French, Spanish, Italian, German,
      Portuguese and a smattering of other languages to varying degrees.
      She has read Euripides, Plato and Homer in ancient Greek, and Cicero
      in Latin, as well as Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales in Middle
      English. She has also been compelled to cross–reference the Bible in
      the original Hebrew and ancient Greek.

      Rev. Acharya S has gained mastery in several religions, as well other
      esoterica and the supernatural, and has a number of students and
      devotees. She is also the author of several books, including The
      Christ Conspiracy, Paradise Found and The Aquarian Manifesto: A
      Handbook for Survival into and a Blueprint for the New Age. Her
      current book is Suns of God: Krishna, Buddha and Christ Unveiled.
      Articles by Acharya S have been published in Exposure, Steamshovel
      Press, Paranoia, as well as other periodicals and ezines.
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic