1755Isaiah 53 (was: Re: Messianic prophecies unfulfilled)

    Sep 7, 2007
      Mr. Tillman,

      In previous posts, I have offered a defense of the identification of
      the servant of the LORD in Isaiah 52:13-53:12 as an individual
      Israelite suffering for the nation. I have also responded to your
      objections to this identification.

      The language of sins being laid on the suffering Servant as a sheep
      (Is. 53:6-7) is sacrificial language and clearly means that the
      Servant dies. His subsequent exaltation, then, presupposes his
      resurrection from the dead.

      That the Servant is the Messiah, the anointed one, is stated
      explicitly in Isaiah 61:1, and that he is the Davidic Messiah can be
      inferred from various parallels between the Messiah in Isaiah 9 and
      11 with the Servant in the later chapters of the book.