1675Re: Imaginary Messianic Prophecies in the NT?

  • wglmp
    Jul 7, 2007
      The only CR-ROM I have contains Darby's, and he (it) says this:
      Matt 2:23 And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it
      might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets,* He shall be
      called a Nazarene.
      *An imaginary prophecy; it doesn't exist.
      Darby Isa 11:1 And there shall come forth a rod out of the stem of
      Jesse, and a branch shall grow out of his roots:
      "Netzer" doesn't have anything at all to do with Nazareth.

      Matt. 27:9 Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremy the
      prophet,* saying, And they took the thirty pieces of silver, the
      price of him that was valued, whom they of the children of Israel did
      value; 10 And gave them for the potter's field, as the Lord appointed
      me.
      *An imaginary prophecy nowhere to be found in the Book of Jeremiah.
      Darby No help

      Mark 14:21 The Son of man indeed goeth, as it is written of him*: but
      woe to that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! good were it for
      that man if he had never been born.
      *Nowhere in the Bible can it be found written that the "son of man is
      to go." Neither can any "woe" be found upon the man who betrayed him.
      Darby no help

      Luke 11:49 Therefore also said the wisdom of God,* I will send them
      prophets and apostles, and some of them they shall slay and
      persecute: 50 That the blood of all the prophets, which was shed from
      the foundation of the world, may be required of this generation; 51
      From the blood of Abel unto the blood of Zacharias, which perished
      between the altar and the temple: verily I say unto you, It shall be
      required of this generation.
      *Luke accredits this anti-Semitic and false charge to "the wisdom of
      God." One can search in vain for any reference to the slaying of
      Zacharias, whom Matthew identifies as the son of Barachais (Matt.
      23.35).
      Darby no help

      John 7.38: 38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture* hath said,
      out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
      *This is another imaginary scripture nowhere to be found in the Bible.
      But I wish to offer a caviat to this one. The NEXT VERSE says,
      39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him
      should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that
      Jesus was not yet glorified.)
      I believe most people have assumed that what had not yet been given
      was only the Holy Spirit, but I wonder if it was also the Scripture
      that had not yet been given. Any opinions?
      Darby no help

      John 17:12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy
      name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is
      lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture* might be
      fulfilled.
      *This is another imaginary prophecy. Before this claim was made, "son
      of perdition" is not found in the Bible AT ALL. Again, though, the
      Scripture that might be fulfilled MAY be given in the next verse:
      13 And now come I to thee; and these things I speak in the world,
      that they might have my joy fulfilled in themselves.
      If that is the case, does anybody know where THAT Scripture might be
      found? I looked for it using Yahoo's on-line search engine, but
      didn't see any references other than John 17.
      Darby no help

      Eph. 5:14 Wherefore he saith,* Awake thou that sleepest, and arise
      from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.
      *Paul does not say who was the original author of these words. He
      makes them appear to come from God but they are nowhere to be found
      in the Bible. The name or title "christ" first occurs in the NT, and
      does not appear even once in the Bible before the New Testament book
      of the Gospel According to Matthew.
      Eph. 5:14 Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise
      from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.
      Darby Isa 60:1 Arise, shine; for thy light is come, and the glory of
      the LORD is risen upon thee.
      This seems very forced to me. Isaiah 60:1 doesn't say anything about
      anybody sleeping, nor awakening. Isaiah says the light IS come,
      whereas Ephesian's light is yet to come, decades or centuries after
      the light in Isaiah had already come.
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic