159RE: [biblicalapologetics] Brenton's LXX

  • Dennis A. Wright
    Jun 1 9:18 AM
      David,

      There are more than one version of the LXX available.  I did a google search for Brenton's LXX and found the following two comments (among others).  It appears from these comments (and from some I saw when I searched for Rahlf's LXX) that Rahlf's LXX is the preferred one over Brenton's LXX.

      Both are available via Bible software, if you are interested.

      Dennis A. Wright
      __________________________________

      >>Brenton's edition --which is now well over a century old-- is pretty
      commonly understood to be an inferior text to Rahlf's.

      size=3>That said, Brenton's interlinear edition has the obvious advantage that it
      is --so far as I am aware-- the only complete translation of the LXX into
      English.  But for detailed study of the LXX, Rahlf's is the standard.

      size=3>Nichael

      To expand only slightly:

      Brenton's text is Alexandrinus (as far as I know, I think he might use another
      ms occasionally).  Rahlf's is a diplomatic text, relying on Vaticancus in the
      main and supplying Alexandrinus or Sinaiticus, and occasionally other texts in
      lacunae (and apparatus).  The two major editions of the LXX (multi-volumes and
      incomplete) are the Cambridge Septuagint (a diplomatic text using B for the
      most part and relying heavily on the uncial mss, but supplying a full
      apparatus) and the Goettingen Septuagint (a critical text with full
      apparatus).  Buy Rahlf's for sure, use Brenton along with it, if you need the
      English translation (though realizing the texts will be different). If you're
      planning to do scholarship in LXX, use Goettingen or Cambridge (along with
      critical editions of individual OT books).

      Hope that's not overkill.

      Alan
      Hultberg, Alan
      alan_hultberg at peter.biola.edu
      SECOND COMMENT:

      >Can anyone give me some insight as to Brenton's LXX as opposed to

      size=3>Rahlf's?  It has become evident that I shall need a copy, but I would

      face="Times New Roman">like to make an informed decision.

      Brenton's provides in the dual column format both the English translation
      and Greek text for the Septuagint.  This is basically the Textus Recepticus.
        Rahlf allows you to see the variant readings.

      For a little greek, like myself, Brenton's is an invaluable reference
      despite the fact that the translation is over a hundred years old and in the
      "style" of the King James version.

      I would also recommend Jellicoe, The Septuagint in Modern Study, to anyone
      interested in textual issues around the Septuagint.

      In the Eastern Churches liturgical services and Patristic writings tend to
      break along the Antiochian/Alexandrian school lines in the use of particular
      Septuagint texts.  Our liturgical Commission in the United States is
      currently undertaking new translations of all our services, which are full
      of Old Testament quotes and allusions.  A member of this commission noted to
      me that there is a striking variation of texts in several quotations of
      scripture that depends on the ultimate "source" of the quote.

      I could go on but that is as far off-topic as I dare go on list.  Off-list
      discussions of any of these "non-greek" issues are welcome.

      Steve Puluka
      Adult Education Instructor
      (Little Greek)