Ananias and Saphira

  • carolgibson1108
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2008
      When you think of what happened to A&S we should reflect on what we
      have promised to God and if we have backed away from giving 'our
      all' The reason they were found to be wrong was that they promised a
      particular amount, said they would commit to something and then
      something got in the way--greed, disbelief, doubt--who knows? But
      either way they got wrath. But not after they had many chances to
      change their heart and their actions. To sell land takes however
      many days, weeks or months....the Bible does not say how long passed
      from their commitment to the confrontation with Peter in front of
      everyone.

      But I will say that God, in His mercy, always gives us many many
      chances and many opportunities to get things right, before our sin is
      made to be a public spectacle in one way or another. Those people
      who are exposed pubilically for all kinds of things that we see in
      the news or in our local lives had chances to not watch particular
      shows, spend more time in the Word on a particular issue or
      stronghold, get out of relationships, mend family hurts, take
      aggressive action to stop a particular habit or whatever.

      So then we look within and how many of us have said, I will do better
      spending time with God, or I will pray twice a week for X-person, or
      I promise I will read the Bible each morning before I go to work, or
      God-If you get me through this one I promise I......or whatever
      commitment we have made to God. Thank God we have not dropped dead
      from mocking God, as if we could trick Him into believing what we
      said. But this is the time that we have to 'get it right' this is the
      time between the 'commitment' and the 'presentation at the altar'.
      The Word of God says that we will be judged by every word that we
      have spoken which means that we should be meaning what we say and
      saying what we mean. God has not called our bluffs, but we actually
      end up with the consequences of our own choices--powerless lives,
      disobedience, getting into things we have no business doing and then
      having more baggage that we need deliverance from, a christian life
      that is stagnant, no evidence of witness in our own lives. So when
      we break our promises to God we once again punish ourselves. God's
      grace and mercy once again prevails, but how long will put up with us
      for that until his wrath falls...............
    • lilymaxmo@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2008
        This was awesome!  There is no wonder that you are a teacher.  I love how you put everything in to perspective.

        Max

[...]

      • Angela Whitford-Narine
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 3, 2008
          Maxine.. thank you for that email about how to regard the elections tomorrow and the direction of our country.

          The service this weekend about "anger" was something I really needed to hear right now.  Over the past months as this election season has heated up, I have often found myself angry.  Angry at the campaign approach of some candidates, at the proposed policy of some candidates, at the responses of media on some issues, etc. etc. and the list goes on.

          Sadly, I feel like our country is very polarized right now... left against right, democrats against republicans.  It makes me sad.  Even in our own beautiful group of friends we have some very different ideas about the leadership our country needs right now.

          Often times I have found myself and heard others make drastic statements of doom should one candidate or the other find their way into office.  I have realized that this must make God sad.

          Believers, above all others, must have faith that God has a plan for us and our country.  His word calls on us to pray for our leaders no matter who they are.  Like Maxine's email, I will be praying tomorrow that every single elected seat is filled by the right person for the job (regardless of their political party).  If my candidate is not elected, I will have concerns, but they are for God so I will pray and let him know that I trust that he is the one in control!

          God Bless America!  We are not perfect but praise God he has been so good to us!

          Happy Voting!

          -Angela

        • carolgibson1108
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2008
            I love science. But it's so funny when 'science' and 'research' takes
            years years and millions of dollars to come up with the same thing
            that God designed all along. I saw on the news today
            that...........................children that watch shows with sexual
            content are......................MORE LIKELY TO HAVE SEX!!!!!