Abraham called by God -2

  • John Thimothy
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 16, 2004
      Second appearance of God to Abraham
      Reading Portion

      Genesis 12:1-6

      Now the LORD had said unto Abram
      In Genesis 1:1 the name of God is "Elohim" (Genesis 1:1). Here his
      name is "Jehovah"(Genesis 12:1). Jesus is the name of New Testament
      God. An interesting note is Jehovah is a part of name of Jesus. Jesus
      means "Jehovah is my Saviour" (Mathew 1:21). What we can understand
      from this is "Jehovah" is Saviour of Old Testament. Jesus is the New
      Testament Saviour.

      Jehovah appeared to Abram (Genesis 12:1)
      In Gods first appearance he mentioned that "Get thee out of thy
      country, and from thy kindred,"(Acts 7:2). In second appearance he
      added a new item " and from thy father's house, unto a land that I
      will shew thee".( Genesis 12:2 ) His father Terah bought Abram out of
      the country. Terah died (). But God wants Abram to leave his father's
      house. When I read this I recollect the verse mentioned by Jesus
      Christ which says"............." Unless you do this you are not made
      disciple of Jesus Christ. We need sacrifice to follow Jesus. When we
      get call from God we need to follow.

      Seven fold blessings to Abram
      In Genesis 12:3,4 God given seven fold blessings

      a. I will make of thee a great nation

      b. I will bless thee

      c. And make thy name great

      d. Thou shall be a blessing:

      e. I will bless them that bless thee,

      f. Curse him that curseth thee:

      g. In thee shall all families of the earth be blessed?

      i. God blessed Abraham in Haraan

      Abram departed, as the LORD had spoken unto him:
      Abram departed from Haraan, which is a dry land. We need to praise
      God for t that. Even a called one is in Dry land. God visits and
      gives him blessings but we need to come out of dry land. We should
      not spend much time in the Dry land. We should not be babes in Gods
      understanding. We need to enlighten with the blessings what God
      bestowed on us. We need to get out Haraan. "Seasons of refreshments
      comes out from the presence of God". (Acts 3:19). "By faith Abraham,
      when he was called to go out into a place which he should after
      receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing
      whither he went." ( Hebrews 11: 8) Abraham obeyed God's calling and
      went out of Haraan (Genesis 12:4) by faith. God removed Abraham into
      the Land of Canaan (Acts 7:4).

      Lot went with him
      God told Abraham that "Get thee out of thy country, and from thy
      kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will show
      thee:" (Genesis 12:1). It means that Abraham has to leave Lot in
      Haraan. In Ur God doesn't mention about father's house. In Ur he just
      told "Get thee out of thy country and from thy kindred and from thy
      fathers house unto the land that I will show thee" (Acts 7:2). Here
      he added "...from thy fathers house"(Genesis 12:1). Abraham obeyed
      God "So Abram departed, as the LORD had spoken unto him"(Genesis
      12:7). Lot is a close relative to Abram. This made Abram to allow.
      Lot to come along with him. Abram doesn't have sons. Lot is like son
      (own brothers son). Abram is growing older and became 75 years old.
      Lot means, "Veil". Covering. e.t.c. It is true in our case. When Gods
      calls us there is a lot of wrapper by our relatives around us to
      fulfill Gods calling. We need to remove that covering in order to
      obey fully Gods Word. What we can learn here is Even Abram moved out
      of Haraan with faith but obeyed Gods word partially. God was so
      specific what and all Abraham has to leave but Lot went with Abram.
      it made lot of loss to Abram to recover. Because of Lot here is a
      strife between the servants of Lot and Servants of Abraham. Abraham
      has to fight against 4 kings e.t.c. Lot left Abraham after there is a
      quarrel between Abraham's servants and Lot Servants.

      Abraham Reached Canaan:
      Until they reached Canaan God doesn't told which place he has to go.
      Abraham reached a high place called Canaan. "And Abram took Sarai his
      wife, and Lot his brother's son, and all their substance that they
      had gathered, and the souls that they had gotten in Haraan; and they
      went forth to go into the land of Canaan; and into the land of Canaan
      they came." (Genesis 12:4,5). He taken every thing from Haraan. Only
      things needs to deal now is Lot. Canaan signifies the Good land.
      Church life in turn Christ it self. Christ is our Canaan, Church life
      is our Canaan.

      Conclusion:
      In this Chapter we found that God blessed Abraham with seven fold
      blessings. And he left Haraan with faith. Lot also went forth to go
      to the Land of Canaan. Now Abraham is in Canaan. In next chapter we
      will see how God appeared to Abraham, which is 3rd appearance of God
      to Abraham. We can enjoy the