Importance of Good Association

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 7, 2013

      I came across the following story which makes us understand the value of
      association in our lives.

      Once there were two parrot brothers who were diametrically opposite in word
      and deed. When a stranger approaches one of the birds, it says, "Welcome!
      Please be seated.I am indeed blessed to have your company" and such other
      pleasing words to this effect. The other bird, encountering the same
      stranger, reacts violently with cries of, "Catch him and kill him or skin
      him alive", etc. The stranger is puzzled by the ocean of difference in the
      demeanour of the two birds, though they are blood brothers. Noting his
      confusion, the first bird explains-

      maataapi ekaa pitaapi ekaa mama tasya cha pakshinah
      aham munibhi aneeta sa cha aneeto gavaasanai
      aham muneenAm vacha shrunomi
      gavaashanaanaam sa vachah shrunoti
      pratyaksham etat bhavataapi dhrishtam
      samsargajaa dosha gunaa bhavanti

      The good bird said, "We are brothers, born of the same mother and father.
      However, we got separated in childhood. I was brought up by Rishis (saints),1 while
      my unfortunate brother fell into the hands of lowly cow-eaters. I grew up
      listening to the pious words of Rishis, while he was listening day-in and
      day-out to the words of cow-eaters. Now you understand why my words are
      pleasing, and his, repelling. Thus, one's behavioral patterns are molded
      by the company one keeps."

      That is why Canakya Pandita instructs

      tyaja durjana-samsargam / bhaja saadhu-samaagamam
      kuru punyam aho raatram / smara nityam anityataam

      "One should give up the company of devils, demons and nondevotees and should
      always associate with devotees and saintly persons. One should always act
      piously, thinking that this life is temporary, and not be attached to
      temporary happiness and distress."

      Following the first two lines of the above verse, that is

      L - Leaving the association of bad people (tyaja durjana samsargam) and I -
      Immersing ourselves in the association of good people, (bhaja saadhu
      samaagamam) leads to the next two lines of the verse O - Occupying ourselves
      in Krishna conscious duties always (kuru punyam aho raatram) and N - Never
      forgetting to remember the temporary nature of this material world. ( smara
      nityam anityataam)

      So let us remember these important lines of instruction, by remembering LION
      and once we do this, just like the lion we can have a majestic and fearless
      life.

      Thank you very much
      Courtesy: Talvan