There is something we call as "Mindset"

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24, 2011
      Hare Krishna Friends,

      One day as I was passing by the elephants, I suddenly stopped, confused by the fact that these huge creatures were being held by only a small rope tied to their front leg.

      No chains, no cages. It was obvious that the elephants could, at anytime, break away from the ropes they were tied to but for some reason, they did
      not. I saw a trainer nearby and asked why these beautiful, magnificent animals just stood there and made no attempt to get away.

      "Well," he said, "when they are very young and much smaller we use the same size rope to tie them and, at that age, it's enough to hold them. As they
      grow up, they are conditioned to believe they cannot break away. They believe the rope can still hold them, so they never try to break free.

      "I was amazed. These animals could at any time break free from their bonds but because they believed they couldn't, they were stuck right where they
      were.

      Like the elephants, how many of us go through life hanging onto a belief that we cannot do something, simply because we failed at it once before?

      Wise say, "Your attempt may fail, but never fail to make an attempt."

      Courtesy: Brajmohan Das