Happy Birthday James

  • dpfabie
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 5 11:56 AM
      July 2nd is James Manuel's Birthday email him and wish him a happy B-Day!
    • schmatesmo
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 10 8:41 PM
        Most every one who has been or worked at BHAC
        knows me, John Gates. I will say that I have some good
        news. In June I returned to Germany to visit my parents
        and while I was there I proposed to my long time girl
        friend. We are planing to be married in Oct. 2002. Happy
        B-day James.<br>I hope to hear from many of you.
      • dpfabie
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 12 11:01 AM
          Hey John! CONGRATULATIONS on getting engaged!<br>That is great news! Of course that does raise the question of after you are married, who in the Gates household will do the dishes? (DRO!)
        • Chas_Kirkland
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 13 2:22 AM
            Anyone interested in many of the issues of Black
            Eagle Lodge can visit the Black Eagle Museum at
            26 1993<br>Camp Freedom 1993,94, 95, 96<br>Freedom
            Staff 1997, 98, 99
          • dpfabie
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 15 6:01 PM
              This News from Jack and Lisa Stephens<br><br>It's
              official - Madeline Melissa Stephens, born Monday July 9,
              2001 at 5:24pm at home in Elmira, Oregon. She is
              8#15oz. and 20 inches long with black hair and blue eyes.
            • schmatesmo
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 17, 2001
                Hello all,<br>I would like to let all that know
                me and visit the site that I will be moving. I have
                excepted a job in the Cincinnati area. I will start my new
                job on the Sept. 24. Susan will be following soon
                after. We are looking into being married Oct. 2002. Just
                keeping every one involved.<br>John Gates
              • dpfabie
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 12, 2001
                  Just a quick note to say a Happy Expo Day (plus
                  15 years if you can believe it!!!??)<br><br>It was
                  at the that scout expo in Munich I first met many of
                  the incredible people who I would later spend summers
                  with at Bayern.<br><br>Hope everyone is doing well
                • dpfabie
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 12, 2001
                    Follow this link for a great video of the view overlooking GAP from the top of the Wank!<br><br><a href=http://www.panopix.at/garmisch/garmisch_wank.htm target=new>http://www.panopix.at/garmisch/garmisch_wank.htm</a>
                  • dpfabie
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 27, 2001
                      Just a note to wish everyone the very best for
                      the holidas and a very happy new year! And also to
                      plead, beg and grovel for you all to UPLOAD YOUR BHAC
                      PICTURES!! The photo albums are gettin kinda stale so please
                      upload your camp pics there or just email then to me and
                      I will do it for you! Danke Schoen!
                    • dpfabie
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 30, 2002
                        The Following Email was received from Derek on
                        01/16/02 - the full story of his incredible trip and lots
                        of pictures can be found in the "Photos" Section of
                        this web site in the folder "Keller/Aconcagua". THANKS
                        FOR SHARING
                        great success! On Sunday, January 6th 2002, along with
                        my two highly supportive teammates, I summited
                        Aconcagua (23,000 feet) in Northwestern Argentina. It was a
                        12 day approach to our<br>high camp (Camp Four) at
                        20,000 (the highest altitude I've ever slept
                        at).<br><br>Two days after a heavy snow storm we had clear skies
                        and low wind for our summit bid. The day began at 4
                        am and we reached the summit at 1:30 pm, spent a
                        little over an hour on the summit making calls from the
                        satellite phone, taking pictures, and congratulating one
                        another on our success (everyone, all the international
                        groups on the summit, folks from Switzerland, Germany,
                        Ecuador, and Brazil - 11 total). It was the fastest hour
                        I'd ever experienced. Although it was low winds and
                        100 mile visibility (or what felt like it) on the
                        summit, shortly before 3 pm we saw some clouds forming
                        out in the distance and decided it was time to get
                        off the summit (as weather can change very quickly
                        and become dangerous). <br><br>We made back to high
                        camp in good time and then began preparing to descend.
                        Over the course of the next two days we descended
                        11,000 feet over an 20 mile stretch (day one 6,000 feet
                        / 1 mile, day two 5,000 feet / 18.5 miles) - with
                        very heavy packs and lots of downhill stepping the
                        difficulty of the decent was far under estimated. <br>
                        Argentina's five interim presidents and the devaluation that
                        made the pesos we carried up on<br>to and over the
                        mountain worth just peanuts ('peanuts' because no one else
                        knew what they were worth either). I made back to
                        civilization, Medoza (pop. 1 million) and then on to Buenos
                        Aires (pop. 8 million) in one piece. When I landed in
                        BA, it was a very different feeling in the city than
                        when I'd left it three weeks prior. I arrived in
                        Argentina in December on the<br>day the President was asked
                        (forced) to resign. In two words, "mild chaos" (it wasn't
                        Bosnia, but I felt similarities). In December, the
                        hotel<br>suggested I stay in and order room service, personal safety
                        was an issue. <br><br>On my second go at BA the taxi
                        drove me through one of BA's many parks. It was picture
                        post card perfect day; sunny, a few clouds, 78
                        degrees, people running, walking dogs, throwing Frisbee,
                        men practicing fly fishing in the pond - night and
                        day compared to December. Don't get me wrong the
                        country still has enormous economic problems but the mood
                        is very, very different.<br>But pictures and
                        reporting of ongoing gross looting and riots are over
                        exaggerated. Regardless, I spent the remaining days of my
                        vacation (four total) decompressing from the climb and
                        seeing BA - it was delightful. I<br>returned home
                        yesterday to a cold New York and a mountain of projects at
                        the office... but as they say "It was time and I was
                        ready". Glad to be home and elated by the memory of
                        Aconcagua.<br><br>I hope this finds everyone well... I'll be taking
                        questions over the next few days, so don't be shy...Cheers,
                        Derek <br><br>Please enjoy the pictures (a more
                        detailed pictorial story to follow after assembly)...