Patches & New Pics!

  • dpfabie
    Message 1 of 18 , May 5, 2001
      Check out the Photo Galleries for scans of Camp Patches and new photos of the camp, scouts and staff! Please FEEL FREE to post pics of your own!
    • dpfabie
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 5, 2001
        July 2nd is James Manuel's Birthday email him and wish him a happy B-Day!
      • schmatesmo
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 10, 2001
          Most every one who has been or worked at BHAC
          knows me, John Gates. I will say that I have some good
          news. In June I returned to Germany to visit my parents
          and while I was there I proposed to my long time girl
          friend. We are planing to be married in Oct. 2002. Happy
          B-day James.<br>I hope to hear from many of you.
        • dpfabie
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 12, 2001
            Hey John! CONGRATULATIONS on getting engaged!<br>That is great news! Of course that does raise the question of after you are married, who in the Gates household will do the dishes? (DRO!)
          • Chas_Kirkland
            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 13, 2001
              Anyone interested in many of the issues of Black
              Eagle Lodge can visit the Black Eagle Museum at
              26 1993<br>Camp Freedom 1993,94, 95, 96<br>Freedom
              Staff 1997, 98, 99
            • dpfabie
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 15, 2001
                This News from Jack and Lisa Stephens<br><br>It's
                official - Madeline Melissa Stephens, born Monday July 9,
                2001 at 5:24pm at home in Elmira, Oregon. She is
                8#15oz. and 20 inches long with black hair and blue eyes.
              • schmatesmo
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 17, 2001
                  Hello all,<br>I would like to let all that know
                  me and visit the site that I will be moving. I have
                  excepted a job in the Cincinnati area. I will start my new
                  job on the Sept. 24. Susan will be following soon
                  after. We are looking into being married Oct. 2002. Just
                  keeping every one involved.<br>John Gates
                • dpfabie
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 12, 2001
                    Just a quick note to say a Happy Expo Day (plus
                    15 years if you can believe it!!!??)<br><br>It was
                    at the that scout expo in Munich I first met many of
                    the incredible people who I would later spend summers
                    with at Bayern.<br><br>Hope everyone is doing well
                  • dpfabie
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 12, 2001
                      Follow this link for a great video of the view overlooking GAP from the top of the Wank!<br><br><a href=http://www.panopix.at/garmisch/garmisch_wank.htm target=new>http://www.panopix.at/garmisch/garmisch_wank.htm</a>
                    • dpfabie
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 27, 2001
                        Just a note to wish everyone the very best for
                        the holidas and a very happy new year! And also to
                        plead, beg and grovel for you all to UPLOAD YOUR BHAC
                        PICTURES!! The photo albums are gettin kinda stale so please
                        upload your camp pics there or just email then to me and
                        I will do it for you! Danke Schoen!
                      • dpfabie
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 30, 2002
                          The Following Email was received from Derek on
                          01/16/02 - the full story of his incredible trip and lots
                          of pictures can be found in the "Photos" Section of
                          this web site in the folder "Keller/Aconcagua". THANKS
                          FOR SHARING
                          great success! On Sunday, January 6th 2002, along with
                          my two highly supportive teammates, I summited
                          Aconcagua (23,000 feet) in Northwestern Argentina. It was a
                          12 day approach to our<br>high camp (Camp Four) at
                          20,000 (the highest altitude I've ever slept
                          at).<br><br>Two days after a heavy snow storm we had clear skies
                          and low wind for our summit bid. The day began at 4
                          am and we reached the summit at 1:30 pm, spent a
                          little over an hour on the summit making calls from the
                          satellite phone, taking pictures, and congratulating one
                          another on our success (everyone, all the international
                          groups on the summit, folks from Switzerland, Germany,
                          Ecuador, and Brazil - 11 total). It was the fastest hour
                          I'd ever experienced. Although it was low winds and
                          100 mile visibility (or what felt like it) on the
                          summit, shortly before 3 pm we saw some clouds forming
                          out in the distance and decided it was time to get
                          off the summit (as weather can change very quickly
                          and become dangerous). <br><br>We made back to high
                          camp in good time and then began preparing to descend.
                          Over the course of the next two days we descended
                          11,000 feet over an 20 mile stretch (day one 6,000 feet
                          / 1 mile, day two 5,000 feet / 18.5 miles) - with
                          very heavy packs and lots of downhill stepping the
                          difficulty of the decent was far under estimated. <br>
                          Argentina's five interim presidents and the devaluation that
                          made the pesos we carried up on<br>to and over the
                          mountain worth just peanuts ('peanuts' because no one else
                          knew what they were worth either). I made back to
                          civilization, Medoza (pop. 1 million) and then on to Buenos
                          Aires (pop. 8 million) in one piece. When I landed in
                          BA, it was a very different feeling in the city than
                          when I'd left it three weeks prior. I arrived in
                          Argentina in December on the<br>day the President was asked
                          (forced) to resign. In two words, "mild chaos" (it wasn't
                          Bosnia, but I felt similarities). In December, the
                          hotel<br>suggested I stay in and order room service, personal safety
                          was an issue. <br><br>On my second go at BA the taxi
                          drove me through one of BA's many parks. It was picture
                          post card perfect day; sunny, a few clouds, 78
                          degrees, people running, walking dogs, throwing Frisbee,
                          men practicing fly fishing in the pond - night and
                          day compared to December. Don't get me wrong the
                          country still has enormous economic problems but the mood
                          is very, very different.<br>But pictures and
                          reporting of ongoing gross looting and riots are over
                          exaggerated. Regardless, I spent the remaining days of my
                          vacation (four total) decompressing from the climb and
                          seeing BA - it was delightful. I<br>returned home
                          yesterday to a cold New York and a mountain of projects at
                          the office... but as they say "It was time and I was
                          ready". Glad to be home and elated by the memory of
                          Aconcagua.<br><br>I hope this finds everyone well... I'll be taking
                          questions over the next few days, so don't be shy...Cheers,
                          Derek <br><br>Please enjoy the pictures (a more
                          detailed pictorial story to follow after assembly)...