Re: [BHAC Alumni Association] Location Camp Bayern 1985

  • Peter Jurack
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 14, 2005
      Camp Bayern is located in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany.  The main portion of the camp was situated at Kean's Lodge, which was run by the Armed Forced Recreation Center in Garmisch.  Kean's Lodge sits at the foot of the Kramerspitze, on the west side of town.  The lake you are referring to is the Eibsee, which is at the foot of the Zugspitze, the tallest mountain in Germany.

      I worked at Bayern High Adventure Camp from 1986-1993.  1993 was the final year for the camp and a sad day for many who literally grew up there.  Garmisch is one of my favorite places in the whole world.  We went back in August 2000 for a staff reunion and had a great time.  If you need recommendations on places to stay, I would be happy to forward that information.

      Take care.

      P.J. Jurack

      mbaskey2004 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I was at Camp Bayern in the mid-80's and the location was great, I
      also remember doing canoeing on a beautiful lake there.  I was
      wondering if anyone knew the name of the lake, and the location of the
      camp, and the nearby town...I am planning on driving thru Germany soon
      and would like to stop there again.

      Many Thanks,
      Matt

    • mbaskey2004
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 18, 2005
        Oh that is sad...all I can say is thanks for what was one of my best
        memories growing up!

        Yes it would be great to get some recommendation on where to stay in
        the area...what was the name of the town there that was near the
        camp. I recall we went swimming and to see a movie there.

        Thanks,
        matt

        --- In bhacalumniassociation@yahoogroups.com, Peter Jurack
        <jurack4@s...> wrote:
        > Camp Bayern is located in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany. The
        main portion of the camp was situated at Kean's Lodge, which was run
        by the Armed Forced Recreation Center in Garmisch. Kean's Lodge
        sits at the foot of the Kramerspitze, on the west side of town. The
        lake you are referring to is the Eibsee, which is at the foot of the
        Zugspitze, the tallest mountain in Germany.

        > I worked at Bayern High Adventure Camp from 1986-1993. 1993 was
        the final year for the camp and a sad day for many who literally
        grew up there. Garmisch is one of my favorite places in the whole
        world. We went back in August 2000 for a staff reunion and had a
        great time. If you need recommendations on places to stay, I would
        be happy to forward that information.

        > Take care.
        >
        > P.J. Jurack
        >
        > mbaskey2004 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        >
        > I was at Camp Bayern in the mid-80's and the location was great, I
        > also remember doing canoeing on a beautiful lake there. I was
        > wondering if anyone knew the name of the lake, and the location of
        the
        > camp, and the nearby town...I am planning on driving thru Germany
        soon
        > and would like to stop there again.
        >
        > Many Thanks,
        > Matt

        Service.
      • Peter Jurack
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 18, 2005
          Garmisch and Partenkirchen are the two towns there.  Garmisch is home to the swimming area and is the village closest to camp.  We stayed at the Gasthof Fraundorfer in Partenkirchen.  It is very nice and well priced.  Check online for their website - you can take a virtual tour and make all of your hotel arrangements online.  Let me know if you have additional questions.

          P.J.

          <jurack4@s...> wrote:
          > Camp Bayern is located in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany.  The
          main portion of the camp was situated at Kean's Lodge, which was run
          by the Armed Forced Recreation Center in Garmisch.  Kean's Lodge
          sits at the foot of the Kramerspitze, on the west side of town.  The
          lake you are referring to is the Eibsee, which is at the foot of the
          Zugspitze, the tallest mountain in Germany.

          > I worked at Bayern High Adventure Camp from 1986-1993.  1993 was
          the final year for the camp and a sad day for many who literally
          grew up there.  Garmisch is one of my favorite places in the whole
          world.  We went back in August 2000 for a staff reunion and had a
          great time.  If you need recommendations on places to stay, I would
          be happy to forward that information.

          > Take care.

          > P.J. Jurack
          >
          > mbaskey2004 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
          >
          > I was at Camp Bayern in the mid-80's and the location was great, I
          > also remember doing canoeing on a beautiful lake there.  I was
          > wondering if anyone knew the name of the lake, and the location of
          the
          > camp, and the nearby town...I am planning on driving thru Germany
          soon
          > and would like to stop there again.
          >
          > Many Thanks,
          > Matt