BHAC Alumni Association

  • dpfabie
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 25, 2001
      Welcome to the Yahoo! Message Board for BHAC Alumni Association
    • dpfabie
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 25, 2001
        Welcome to the new BHAC Alumni Assoc. WWW site.
        it is still under construction but there are a few
        features up and running. Check out the LINKS section for
        sites of interest and Pics from the BAYERN 2000
        Reunion. More features to come!
      • dpfabie
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 27, 2001
          Check out the "Photos" section of the club website (Our Pages menu on the left hand side of the screen) for pictures of the Bayern 2000 Reunion and some great shots from around Garmisch!
        • altheidelberg
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 29, 2001
          • altheidelberg
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 29, 2001
              Hey Dave..<br>When is the chat room going to be open..I'm 6-7-8 hours a head of most of you..<br>Jim
            • Chas_Kirkland
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 30, 2001
                My name is Matt Kirkland and I attended the final
                season at Camp Bayern. I recently turned 21 and now am
                an adult scouter.<br><br>Look forward to talking
                with many of the old time attendees of Bayern,
                Freedom, Dahn or any camp here in
              • dpfabie
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 30, 2001
                  Hey Matt! Hi James! Thanks for logging In!! See
                  if you can track down other alumni and get them in
                  here too! Also Check out the Photo Albums I have
                  posted some more pics. PLEASE!! Feel Free to post ANY
                  pics of camp or of Garmisch that you want share!
                  Thanks!
                • dpfabie
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 5, 2001
                    Check out the Photo Galleries for scans of Camp Patches and new photos of the camp, scouts and staff! Please FEEL FREE to post pics of your own!
                  • dpfabie
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 5, 2001
                      July 2nd is James Manuel's Birthday email him and wish him a happy B-Day!
                    • schmatesmo
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 10, 2001
                        Most every one who has been or worked at BHAC
                        knows me, John Gates. I will say that I have some good
                        news. In June I returned to Germany to visit my parents
                        and while I was there I proposed to my long time girl
                        friend. We are planing to be married in Oct. 2002. Happy
                        B-day James.<br>I hope to hear from many of you.
                      • dpfabie
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 12, 2001
                          Hey John! CONGRATULATIONS on getting engaged!<br>That is great news! Of course that does raise the question of after you are married, who in the Gates household will do the dishes? (DRO!)
                        • Chas_Kirkland
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 13, 2001
                            Anyone interested in many of the issues of Black
                            Eagle Lodge can visit the Black Eagle Museum at
                            26 1993<br>Camp Freedom 1993,94, 95, 96<br>Freedom
                            Staff 1997, 98, 99
                          • dpfabie
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 15, 2001
                              This News from Jack and Lisa Stephens<br><br>It's
                              official - Madeline Melissa Stephens, born Monday July 9,
                              2001 at 5:24pm at home in Elmira, Oregon. She is
                              8#15oz. and 20 inches long with black hair and blue eyes.
                            • schmatesmo
                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 17, 2001
                                Hello all,<br>I would like to let all that know
                                me and visit the site that I will be moving. I have
                                excepted a job in the Cincinnati area. I will start my new
                                job on the Sept. 24. Susan will be following soon
                                after. We are looking into being married Oct. 2002. Just
                                keeping every one involved.<br>John Gates
                              • dpfabie
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 12, 2001
                                  Just a quick note to say a Happy Expo Day (plus
                                  15 years if you can believe it!!!??)<br><br>It was
                                  at the that scout expo in Munich I first met many of
                                  the incredible people who I would later spend summers
                                  with at Bayern.<br><br>Hope everyone is doing well
                                • dpfabie
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 12, 2001
                                    Follow this link for a great video of the view overlooking GAP from the top of the Wank!<br><br><a href=http://www.panopix.at/garmisch/garmisch_wank.htm target=new>http://www.panopix.at/garmisch/garmisch_wank.htm</a>
                                  • dpfabie
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Dec 27, 2001
                                      Just a note to wish everyone the very best for
                                      the holidas and a very happy new year! And also to
                                      plead, beg and grovel for you all to UPLOAD YOUR BHAC
                                      PICTURES!! The photo albums are gettin kinda stale so please
                                      upload your camp pics there or just email then to me and
                                      I will do it for you! Danke Schoen!
                                    • dpfabie
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jan 30, 2002
                                        The Following Email was received from Derek on
                                        01/16/02 - the full story of his incredible trip and lots
                                        of pictures can be found in the "Photos" Section of
                                        this web site in the folder "Keller/Aconcagua". THANKS
                                        FOR SHARING
                                        great success! On Sunday, January 6th 2002, along with
                                        my two highly supportive teammates, I summited
                                        Aconcagua (23,000 feet) in Northwestern Argentina. It was a
                                        12 day approach to our<br>high camp (Camp Four) at
                                        20,000 (the highest altitude I've ever slept
                                        at).<br><br>Two days after a heavy snow storm we had clear skies
                                        and low wind for our summit bid. The day began at 4
                                        am and we reached the summit at 1:30 pm, spent a
                                        little over an hour on the summit making calls from the
                                        satellite phone, taking pictures, and congratulating one
                                        another on our success (everyone, all the international
                                        groups on the summit, folks from Switzerland, Germany,
                                        Ecuador, and Brazil - 11 total). It was the fastest hour
                                        I'd ever experienced. Although it was low winds and
                                        100 mile visibility (or what felt like it) on the
                                        summit, shortly before 3 pm we saw some clouds forming
                                        out in the distance and decided it was time to get
                                        off the summit (as weather can change very quickly
                                        and become dangerous). <br><br>We made back to high
                                        camp in good time and then began preparing to descend.
                                        Over the course of the next two days we descended
                                        11,000 feet over an 20 mile stretch (day one 6,000 feet
                                        / 1 mile, day two 5,000 feet / 18.5 miles) - with
                                        very heavy packs and lots of downhill stepping the
                                        difficulty of the decent was far under estimated. <br>
                                        Argentina's five interim presidents and the devaluation that
                                        made the pesos we carried up on<br>to and over the
                                        mountain worth just peanuts ('peanuts' because no one else
                                        knew what they were worth either). I made back to
                                        civilization, Medoza (pop. 1 million) and then on to Buenos
                                        Aires (pop. 8 million) in one piece. When I landed in
                                        BA, it was a very different feeling in the city than
                                        when I'd left it three weeks prior. I arrived in
                                        Argentina in December on the<br>day the President was asked
                                        (forced) to resign. In two words, "mild chaos" (it wasn't
                                        Bosnia, but I felt similarities). In December, the
                                        hotel<br>suggested I stay in and order room service, personal safety
                                        was an issue. <br><br>On my second go at BA the taxi
                                        drove me through one of BA's many parks. It was picture
                                        post card perfect day; sunny, a few clouds, 78
                                        degrees, people running, walking dogs, throwing Frisbee,
                                        men practicing fly fishing in the pond - night and
                                        day compared to December. Don't get me wrong the
                                        country still has enormous economic problems but the mood
                                        is very, very different.<br>But pictures and
                                        reporting of ongoing gross looting and riots are over
                                        exaggerated. Regardless, I spent the remaining days of my
                                        vacation (four total) decompressing from the climb and
                                        seeing BA - it was delightful. I<br>returned home
                                        yesterday to a cold New York and a mountain of projects at
                                        the office... but as they say "It was time and I was
                                        ready". Glad to be home and elated by the memory of
                                        Aconcagua.<br><br>I hope this finds everyone well... I'll be taking
                                        questions over the next few days, so don't be shy...Cheers,
                                        Derek <br><br>Please enjoy the pictures (a more
                                        detailed pictorial story to follow after assembly)...