Happy Holidays!

  • dpfabie
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 27 10:46 PM
      Just a note to wish everyone the very best for
      the holidas and a very happy new year! And also to
      plead, beg and grovel for you all to UPLOAD YOUR BHAC
      PICTURES!! The photo albums are gettin kinda stale so please
      upload your camp pics there or just email then to me and
      I will do it for you! Danke Schoen!
    • dpfabie
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 30, 2002
        The Following Email was received from Derek on
        01/16/02 - the full story of his incredible trip and lots
        of pictures can be found in the "Photos" Section of
        this web site in the folder "Keller/Aconcagua". THANKS
        FOR SHARING
        great success! On Sunday, January 6th 2002, along with
        my two highly supportive teammates, I summited
        Aconcagua (23,000 feet) in Northwestern Argentina. It was a
        12 day approach to our<br>high camp (Camp Four) at
        20,000 (the highest altitude I've ever slept
        at).<br><br>Two days after a heavy snow storm we had clear skies
        and low wind for our summit bid. The day began at 4
        am and we reached the summit at 1:30 pm, spent a
        little over an hour on the summit making calls from the
        satellite phone, taking pictures, and congratulating one
        another on our success (everyone, all the international
        groups on the summit, folks from Switzerland, Germany,
        Ecuador, and Brazil - 11 total). It was the fastest hour
        I'd ever experienced. Although it was low winds and
        100 mile visibility (or what felt like it) on the
        summit, shortly before 3 pm we saw some clouds forming
        out in the distance and decided it was time to get
        off the summit (as weather can change very quickly
        and become dangerous). <br><br>We made back to high
        camp in good time and then began preparing to descend.
        Over the course of the next two days we descended
        11,000 feet over an 20 mile stretch (day one 6,000 feet
        / 1 mile, day two 5,000 feet / 18.5 miles) - with
        very heavy packs and lots of downhill stepping the
        difficulty of the decent was far under estimated. <br>
        Argentina's five interim presidents and the devaluation that
        made the pesos we carried up on<br>to and over the
        mountain worth just peanuts ('peanuts' because no one else
        knew what they were worth either). I made back to
        civilization, Medoza (pop. 1 million) and then on to Buenos
        Aires (pop. 8 million) in one piece. When I landed in
        BA, it was a very different feeling in the city than
        when I'd left it three weeks prior. I arrived in
        Argentina in December on the<br>day the President was asked
        (forced) to resign. In two words, "mild chaos" (it wasn't
        Bosnia, but I felt similarities). In December, the
        hotel<br>suggested I stay in and order room service, personal safety
        was an issue. <br><br>On my second go at BA the taxi
        drove me through one of BA's many parks. It was picture
        post card perfect day; sunny, a few clouds, 78
        degrees, people running, walking dogs, throwing Frisbee,
        men practicing fly fishing in the pond - night and
        day compared to December. Don't get me wrong the
        country still has enormous economic problems but the mood
        is very, very different.<br>But pictures and
        reporting of ongoing gross looting and riots are over
        exaggerated. Regardless, I spent the remaining days of my
        vacation (four total) decompressing from the climb and
        seeing BA - it was delightful. I<br>returned home
        yesterday to a cold New York and a mountain of projects at
        the office... but as they say "It was time and I was
        ready". Glad to be home and elated by the memory of
        Aconcagua.<br><br>I hope this finds everyone well... I'll be taking
        questions over the next few days, so don't be shy...Cheers,
        Derek <br><br>Please enjoy the pictures (a more
        detailed pictorial story to follow after assembly)...