InterExpo '86

  • dpfabie
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 12, 2001
      Just a quick note to say a Happy Expo Day (plus
      15 years if you can believe it!!!??)<br><br>It was
      at the that scout expo in Munich I first met many of
      the incredible people who I would later spend summers
      with at Bayern.<br><br>Hope everyone is doing well
    • dpfabie
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 12, 2001
        Follow this link for a great video of the view overlooking GAP from the top of the Wank!<br><br><a href=http://www.panopix.at/garmisch/garmisch_wank.htm target=new>http://www.panopix.at/garmisch/garmisch_wank.htm</a>
      • dpfabie
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 27, 2001
          Just a note to wish everyone the very best for
          the holidas and a very happy new year! And also to
          plead, beg and grovel for you all to UPLOAD YOUR BHAC
          PICTURES!! The photo albums are gettin kinda stale so please
          upload your camp pics there or just email then to me and
          I will do it for you! Danke Schoen!
        • dpfabie
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 30, 2002
            The Following Email was received from Derek on
            01/16/02 - the full story of his incredible trip and lots
            of pictures can be found in the "Photos" Section of
            this web site in the folder "Keller/Aconcagua". THANKS
            FOR SHARING
            great success! On Sunday, January 6th 2002, along with
            my two highly supportive teammates, I summited
            Aconcagua (23,000 feet) in Northwestern Argentina. It was a
            12 day approach to our<br>high camp (Camp Four) at
            20,000 (the highest altitude I've ever slept
            at).<br><br>Two days after a heavy snow storm we had clear skies
            and low wind for our summit bid. The day began at 4
            am and we reached the summit at 1:30 pm, spent a
            little over an hour on the summit making calls from the
            satellite phone, taking pictures, and congratulating one
            another on our success (everyone, all the international
            groups on the summit, folks from Switzerland, Germany,
            Ecuador, and Brazil - 11 total). It was the fastest hour
            I'd ever experienced. Although it was low winds and
            100 mile visibility (or what felt like it) on the
            summit, shortly before 3 pm we saw some clouds forming
            out in the distance and decided it was time to get
            off the summit (as weather can change very quickly
            and become dangerous). <br><br>We made back to high
            camp in good time and then began preparing to descend.
            Over the course of the next two days we descended
            11,000 feet over an 20 mile stretch (day one 6,000 feet
            / 1 mile, day two 5,000 feet / 18.5 miles) - with
            very heavy packs and lots of downhill stepping the
            difficulty of the decent was far under estimated. <br>
            Argentina's five interim presidents and the devaluation that
            made the pesos we carried up on<br>to and over the
            mountain worth just peanuts ('peanuts' because no one else
            knew what they were worth either). I made back to
            civilization, Medoza (pop. 1 million) and then on to Buenos
            Aires (pop. 8 million) in one piece. When I landed in
            BA, it was a very different feeling in the city than
            when I'd left it three weeks prior. I arrived in
            Argentina in December on the<br>day the President was asked
            (forced) to resign. In two words, "mild chaos" (it wasn't
            Bosnia, but I felt similarities). In December, the
            hotel<br>suggested I stay in and order room service, personal safety
            was an issue. <br><br>On my second go at BA the taxi
            drove me through one of BA's many parks. It was picture
            post card perfect day; sunny, a few clouds, 78
            degrees, people running, walking dogs, throwing Frisbee,
            men practicing fly fishing in the pond - night and
            day compared to December. Don't get me wrong the
            country still has enormous economic problems but the mood
            is very, very different.<br>But pictures and
            reporting of ongoing gross looting and riots are over
            exaggerated. Regardless, I spent the remaining days of my
            vacation (four total) decompressing from the climb and
            seeing BA - it was delightful. I<br>returned home
            yesterday to a cold New York and a mountain of projects at
            the office... but as they say "It was time and I was
            ready". Glad to be home and elated by the memory of
            Aconcagua.<br><br>I hope this finds everyone well... I'll be taking
            questions over the next few days, so don't be shy...Cheers,
            Derek <br><br>Please enjoy the pictures (a more
            detailed pictorial story to follow after assembly)...