I am moving!!!

  • schmatesmo
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 17, 2001
      Hello all,<br>I would like to let all that know
      me and visit the site that I will be moving. I have
      excepted a job in the Cincinnati area. I will start my new
      job on the Sept. 24. Susan will be following soon
      after. We are looking into being married Oct. 2002. Just
      keeping every one involved.<br>John Gates
    • dpfabie
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 12, 2001
        Just a quick note to say a Happy Expo Day (plus
        15 years if you can believe it!!!??)<br><br>It was
        at the that scout expo in Munich I first met many of
        the incredible people who I would later spend summers
        with at Bayern.<br><br>Hope everyone is doing well
      • dpfabie
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 12, 2001
          Follow this link for a great video of the view overlooking GAP from the top of the Wank!<br><br><a href=http://www.panopix.at/garmisch/garmisch_wank.htm target=new>http://www.panopix.at/garmisch/garmisch_wank.htm</a>
        • dpfabie
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 27, 2001
            Just a note to wish everyone the very best for
            the holidas and a very happy new year! And also to
            plead, beg and grovel for you all to UPLOAD YOUR BHAC
            PICTURES!! The photo albums are gettin kinda stale so please
            upload your camp pics there or just email then to me and
            I will do it for you! Danke Schoen!
          • dpfabie
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 30, 2002
              The Following Email was received from Derek on
              01/16/02 - the full story of his incredible trip and lots
              of pictures can be found in the "Photos" Section of
              this web site in the folder "Keller/Aconcagua". THANKS
              FOR SHARING
              great success! On Sunday, January 6th 2002, along with
              my two highly supportive teammates, I summited
              Aconcagua (23,000 feet) in Northwestern Argentina. It was a
              12 day approach to our<br>high camp (Camp Four) at
              20,000 (the highest altitude I've ever slept
              at).<br><br>Two days after a heavy snow storm we had clear skies
              and low wind for our summit bid. The day began at 4
              am and we reached the summit at 1:30 pm, spent a
              little over an hour on the summit making calls from the
              satellite phone, taking pictures, and congratulating one
              another on our success (everyone, all the international
              groups on the summit, folks from Switzerland, Germany,
              Ecuador, and Brazil - 11 total). It was the fastest hour
              I'd ever experienced. Although it was low winds and
              100 mile visibility (or what felt like it) on the
              summit, shortly before 3 pm we saw some clouds forming
              out in the distance and decided it was time to get
              off the summit (as weather can change very quickly
              and become dangerous). <br><br>We made back to high
              camp in good time and then began preparing to descend.
              Over the course of the next two days we descended
              11,000 feet over an 20 mile stretch (day one 6,000 feet
              / 1 mile, day two 5,000 feet / 18.5 miles) - with
              very heavy packs and lots of downhill stepping the
              difficulty of the decent was far under estimated. <br>
              Argentina's five interim presidents and the devaluation that
              made the pesos we carried up on<br>to and over the
              mountain worth just peanuts ('peanuts' because no one else
              knew what they were worth either). I made back to
              civilization, Medoza (pop. 1 million) and then on to Buenos
              Aires (pop. 8 million) in one piece. When I landed in
              BA, it was a very different feeling in the city than
              when I'd left it three weeks prior. I arrived in
              Argentina in December on the<br>day the President was asked
              (forced) to resign. In two words, "mild chaos" (it wasn't
              Bosnia, but I felt similarities). In December, the
              hotel<br>suggested I stay in and order room service, personal safety
              was an issue. <br><br>On my second go at BA the taxi
              drove me through one of BA's many parks. It was picture
              post card perfect day; sunny, a few clouds, 78
              degrees, people running, walking dogs, throwing Frisbee,
              men practicing fly fishing in the pond - night and
              day compared to December. Don't get me wrong the
              country still has enormous economic problems but the mood
              is very, very different.<br>But pictures and
              reporting of ongoing gross looting and riots are over
              exaggerated. Regardless, I spent the remaining days of my
              vacation (four total) decompressing from the climb and
              seeing BA - it was delightful. I<br>returned home
              yesterday to a cold New York and a mountain of projects at
              the office... but as they say "It was time and I was
              ready". Glad to be home and elated by the memory of
              Aconcagua.<br><br>I hope this finds everyone well... I'll be taking
              questions over the next few days, so don't be shy...Cheers,
              Derek <br><br>Please enjoy the pictures (a more
              detailed pictorial story to follow after assembly)...