91TAC NEWS from Vince!

  • Robert Zadina
    Aug 28, 2007

      Thought you would be interested about TAC today!

      TAC NEWS from Vince!

      Dear TAC Alumni,

      It is always a pleasure to know that so many Scouts and Scouters
      had a positive experience as youth and as leaders in our council. For
      some Scouters many years have gone by since their last TAC experience
      but still count themselves as TAC Scouters. I would like to give you
      a brief update on what is happening, and also to ask for your
      support! It was also obvious from the few encounters last week at the
      BSA National Meeting that there is interest in what is happening at
      TAC and also some interesting rumors.

      Our former Scout Executive, Dan Adams, was selected to serve as
      the Scout Executive for Hawk Mountain Council in Reading, Pa. Dan and
      Carol are doing very well, and miss TAC but are very busy getting a
      new home set up and working with the great Scouters in that council.

      When it came time for our Executive Board to form a Selection
      Committee to find a new Scout Executive, there were some important
      questions that needed to be answered. What type of logistical support
      can be provided over the next four years or more? What does the
      overall funding picture look like? Will TAC begin to stabilize its
      membership (we have lost nearly 40% of our traditional membership in
      three years)?

      Where will the office be located? It was decided that until those
      questions could be answered that the council would be served by the
      Assistant Scout Executive who would become the Council Administrator
      who would be supported by the Area Director. So TAC has a Council
      Administrator whose job it is to work with the Board and our military
      leadership to resolve the challenges that prevented the hiring of a
      Scout Executive.

      Where are we?

      Legislation will be going forward to resolve the issues
      involving logistical support. Right now, the provisions are being
      reviewed by BSA before being introduced either for FY 2008 or FY
      2009. We want to make sure that the legislation is right and that it
      does not cause more problems than it solves. There are other
      possibilities for solutions that are also being worked by our
      military leadership.

      The MWR funding is being reviewed and it is agreed that our
      funding will be based on our need to have the right number of
      personnel in professional and administrative positions to serve our
      communities rather than a strict per youth member contribution. This
      should be a positive move to enable us to have enough unit serving
      executives and administrative staff to fiscally maintain a council as
      long as we have sufficient numbers of youth and volunteers involved.
      We are also re-introducing popcorn sales so we can do our part to
      help raise additional funds to support our goals in supporting youth
      and our volunteers.

      In May 2007, TAC had its first increase in Cub Scout membership
      in five years. We have a 5% increase in total membership but a 4 %
      decrease in traditional membership (need additional Boy Scouts and
      Venturers). This though is a positive trend from our double digit
      losses during the previous three years. Although there will still be
      some community closures, they should be off-set by growth in other
      areas. We are not finished with transformation, but hopefully we have
      already passed the worse. With fewer communities to serve, we will do
      a better job on bringing our message to the youth and adults in those

      We originally thought we would be in our new offices near
      Ansbach, Germany in late August or September. There are some glitches
      at the moment that are being worked. We are not sure where we will be
      and when. In the mean time we will do all we can to serve our
      volunteers from our current location.

      This should be the last year for Camp Freedom with the new camp
      being located on the same property as the Council headquarters.
      Again, many of the engineering issues are in-progress. The camp and
      headquarters once built would put our camp in easy distance of most
      of our communities in Germany. We will all mourn the loss of Camp
      Freedom, site of so many memories for our Scouts and Scouters, but
      will work to keep the Freedom spirit alive wherever we will be. We
      may also be able to do a better job with a year-round council camping
      program with a new facility.

      Some Good News

      Over 50 Scouters are registered for Wood Badge William
      Kavanaugh our Council Commissioner was honored with the Silver
      Antelope Award at the BSA National Meeting (highest honor bestowed
      upon a volunteer by a Region) We had a great district conference in
      Oberammergau where 4 Scouters received the Silver Beaver Award (Maria
      Lock, Kitty Hamberg, Sue Horsfall, Leigh Jackson)

      Our OA Lodge is strong with over 160 Scouters scheduled to attend
      our Lodge Fellowship Our Friends of Scouting campaign has raised
      more dollars this year than in 2006. Mayflower District has raised
      the most money of any district in TAC history with over $66,000
      pledged to date.

      We have had wonderful district camporees including a 'tri-district'
      camporee in Heidelberg hosted by Rheingold District, a 100th
      Anniversary of Scouting celebration at Brownsea Island by Mayflower
      District, an all Med Camporee organized by Troop 53 (Sigonella) held
      in Naples, and a fun in the Netherlands organized by Troop 100 of

      We have good numbers of Scouts attending our three Scout Camps, and
      Cub Scout Resident Camp is full. We are on track for Normandy 2008
      to be held 25-27 April in Port en Bessin.

      A Final Note and how you can help!

      A disturbing rumor is that TAC is scheduled to become part of
      Direct Service. There is no intent in the BSA leadership or among our
      volunteers and professionals to permit ourselves to be put into that
      position. We will be financially strong, and will serve our
      volunteers and youth in such a manner that any thought of closing
      down TAC is considered to be absurd. We are and will continue to be
      thanks to our great volunteers and military leadership a strong and
      viable council.

      You can help by supporting our Friends of Scouting campaign. We
      hope you will continue to support your local council but if you are
      in a position to support us, your support is needed. Although we have
      exceeded last year's goal and are still working with our local units
      for June presentations, we are still $30K short of our target.

      You can send your contributions to

      Transatlantic Council, BSA
      Unit 29242
      APO AE 09102

      Or if you still don't live in the U.S.

      Transatlantic Council, BSA
      Stem Kaserne, GEB 1002
      D 68232 Mannheim

      You can also contribute on-line (and also designate your district) at

      https://www. tac-bsa.org/ finance/fos_ card_online. htm

      We do have some great recognition items!

      $50-$99 Special TAC Patch (Round)

      $100-$249 TAC Council Shoulder Patch 'A Scout is Kind'

      $250-$499 A special TAC coin (5' Diameter)

      $500-$999 A special collection of 12 council shoulder patches of
      countries we serve or have served

      $1000+ All of the above plus a special donor's jacket
      (please indicate size)

      We also have a special 100th Anniversary of Scouting Council
      Shoulder Patch that is $10.00 per patch and can be ordered at

      https://www. tac-bsa.org/ scout_shop_ tacitems. htm

      You can also help by spreading the word and forwarding the news
      to other TAC Scouters who you know and are interested in helping us
      to serve our US families living overseas!

      Yours in Scouting,

      Vincent P. Cozzone
      Council Administrator
      Transatlantic Council, BSA