BFUU Weekly Announcements: 10/5/05

  • Berkeley Fellowship of UUs
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2005
      BFUU Weekly Announcements

      THIS WEEK'S SERVICE AT BFUU

      October 9
      Reflections on Indigenous People's Day: Can We Indigenate Ourselves?"
      Circle of Friends Nancy Delaney, Barbara Deutsch, Marilyn Langlois, and
      Sepidah Koosha
      Coordinator: Cynthia Johnson

      At this extraordinary time in US history we will reflect on the recent
      harrowing events in the Gulf states, the movement to bring the troops
      home now, and solidarity in the struggle. Important to our healing as a
      society is our willingness to "un-forget," as we engage in present and
      future struggles, that we have a rich history and rich resources to
      build on. We will examine our ever-deepening evolution toward a better
      society as our citizens open their eyes and see what is happening
      around them in our interconnected web of all existence. Today we will
      lift our spirits, tell the truth about secrets of history and remember
      our revolutionary and indigenous past that has shaped generations and
      will continue to do so.

      Music by Lauren Ren�e Hotchkiss, Wally "Ogi" Johnson, and Maxina
      Ventura.

      UPCOMING SERVICES AT BFUU

      October 16
      United Nations Day
      Ann Fagan Ginger
      Coordinator: Frances Hillyard

      As Unitarian Universalists we believe in the interconnected web of all
      beings. This belief calls us to be part of a global community of caring
      and respect for all peoples. Today we celebrate the achievements and
      possibilities of the United Nations.

      Ann Fagan Ginger is a lawyer and editor of Challenging U.S. Human
      Rights Violations Since 9-11.

      October 23
      �Blowback . . . to What?�
      Rev. Kurt Kuhwald
      Coordinator: Noah Bray-Ali

      Several decades ago the Central Intelligence Agency created the term
      �Blowback.� It referred to the unintended consequences of American
      policies. The course our government has taken, especially since the
      terrible events of 9/11, has tragically brought us to a place where (in
      the words of Malcolm X) �the chickens have come home to roost.� Aware
      of the political and military results of the blowback now roaring over
      us, this morning Rev. Kuhwald will explore the deep spiritual and
      ethical consequences that now accrue from those toxic winds within our
      own hearts, minds and spirits�and what a response grounded in UU values
      might necessitate.
      Rev. Kurt A Kuhwald is serving BFUU as Consulting Minister this year.

      October 30
      Caring for Ourselves as We Care for Others
      Linda Berry, DC, CCN
      Coordinator: Marianne Robinson

      Many of us are on the brink or overwhelmed with world events, social
      responsibilities, and/or care-taking others. Where is our place in that
      continuum?
      Does taking care of yourself sound like just another chore on your
      already expansive list of things to do? If you are going to devote time
      and energy to self-healing, what are the most time-efficient and
      cost-effective ways to take care of yourself while taking care of
      others?

      Dr. Linda Berry, Chiropractor & Nutritionist, has been helping people
      transform their health and�establish well-being in the Bay Area and
      around the world for 23+ years, one on one, in groups, and through her
      website, audio and printed materials.
      Today Dr. Berry will offer simple solutions to help you feel your best
      in our ever-challenging world.

      FELLOWSHIP NEWS:

      REPLACEMENT TOOLS NEEDED

      Our Resident Carpenter (and talented artist) Tom Schultz has had his
      tools stolen from his truck. He is replacing them as quickly as
      possible, but could use the help of Fellowship Folks if they happen to
      have or are willing to provide what is still needed. Please contact
      Tom regarding what his current needs: 510-533-7901

      ON-CALL MAINTENANCE PERSON NEEDED FOR THE FELLOWSHIP

      We are currently in need of someone interested in doing maintenance
      jobs as needed. If you or anyone you know would be interested please
      contact Lauren.

      AT THE FELLOWSHIP:

      Friday, November 11: 7 p.m.. Fellowship Hall
      Concert to benefit Katrina relief efforts
      Featuring Country Joe McDonald, Annie and the Vets, the Rude
      Mechanicals, Laramie Crocker, PhoeBe ANNE Sorgen (accompanied by Nicole
      Milner and others), Hali Hammer, Max Ventura, and introducing The
      Beadles.
      All proceeds will go to Katrina relief efforts.
      More details as they become available.

      There will also be a related Veterans Day event at 11 a.m. at Civic
      Center Park in Berkeley, Featuring Country Joe, Annie and the Vets, and
      Lauren Renee Hotchkiss

      the
      Berkeley Fellowship of Unitarian Universalists' Hall
      1924 Cedar St. at Bonita Ave., Berkeley, CA 94709-2022

      Friday, Oct. 7 Film "RACHEL CORRIE: AN AMERICAN CONSCIENCE"
      co-sponsored by
      International Solidarity Committee.
      Rachel Corrie (1979-2003) from Olympia, Washington wanted to
      right the injustice of the Israeli military occupation of Palestine.
      This film chronicles her work as a member of the International
      Solidarity movement (ISM) in Rafah, Gaza Strip prior to her murder
      in March 2003. She was attempting to stope the demolition of
      the home of the family of Dr. Samir Nasrallah; however the Israeli
      soldier driver of the U.S. made Caterpillar bulldozer drove over her.�
      Film director Yahya Barakat, Professor of Mass Media and TV
      Department at Al-Quds University in Jerusalem, while focusing
      on the tragic� circumstances of Rachel's death gives different
      perspectives on the conflict. Viewers are advised that this film
      contains graphic footage.
      A Benefit for ISM $10-20 sliding scale-no one turned away.
      Information: 510-236-4250 or http://norcalism.org/events.htm.

      Friday, Oct. 21 - 7:00 pm "Conscientious Projector Film Series"
      film re Tokey Williams who is currently on death row at San Quentin.
      "REDEMPTION" moving� film on the life of STAN "TOOKIE" WILLIAMS,
      Nobel Prize Nominee, author is the next person to be executed by
      the state at San Quentin. The Supreme Court will rule on his appeal
      Oct. 3.� Hear outstanding journalist Barbara Bechnel
      leading the discussion afterwards on HOW WE MUST SAVE TOOKIE's LIFE

      Friday, Oct. 28 - 7:00 pm "Activsm Series"
      with JANE & TOM KELLY, activists on Global Warming &
      Climate Change. Tom & Jane have dedicated their lives to making a
      difference on
      this issue of future survival. They might agree we should say Hurricane
      Global
      Warming (not Katrina) They were instrumental in having Berkeley pass the
      Precautionary Principle-Do No Harm.

      Fri. Nov. 25 - 7:00 pm "Activsm Series" with Zachary Running Wolf and
      Thunder on Native Americans and Thanksgiving.

      Anna Graves' photos of homeless Berkeley women will be on exhibit at
      BFUU

      Sun. Dec. 4, 10:30 AM Service on homelessness with teen Rain Chan, who
      knits for the homeless, others.

      Fri. Dec. 9 "Activsm Series" featuring Rain Chan and Rev. Kurt of the
      Faithful Fools Ministry (in SF's Tenderloin)

      BFUU's Social Justice Committee normally meets on the 2nd and last
      Sundays right after the light lunch that follows services.

      A CHANGE IN OPEN MICS: AN ENDING AND A NEW BEGINNING

      Due to changes in emcee and producer schedules, we have decided to end
      the Berkeley Live and Unplugged open mic series. The good news is
      that I and some other Fellowship folks are considering starting a new
      open mic series entitled Community Voices, which will be more inclusive
      of the BFUU community and the larger local community of which we are
      all a part. If you would like to help out with this exciting new
      series please contact me

      -Lauren
      510-841-4824 (office) / office@...

      OTHER UU EVENTS:

      FALL CAMPUS MINISTRY CONFERENCE:

      On October 21-22, the Unitarian Universalist Church of Davis will host
      the
      first annual regional campus ministry conference for UU congregations
      in the
      Pacific Central District. The goal of this conference is to share
      strategic
      thinking as well as practical ideas about campus ministries. It is
      supported
      by the Young Adult and Campus Ministry Office of the UUA.

      Participants are expected to arrive by the evening of the 21st, and stay
      through the entire day and evening of the 22nd.

      Davis is a small UC campus-oriented city, about 10 miles SE of
      Sacramento
      and 60 miles NE of Berkeley on I-80. October weather is delightful:
      highs in
      the 70s and mostly dry conditions.

      UUCD is currently organizing a host committee to take care of worldly
      matters such as sleeping arrangements in local homes, food, etc. The
      cost to
      participants is expected to be tiny, i.e.. close to $10. Both students
      and
      senior members of congregations are encouraged to come, especially
      those on
      campus ministry committees.
      Our local coordinator is Jeanette Robertson, Email:
      darobertson@...
      <mailto:darobertson@...>.
      UUA/PCD News

      HOLLY NEAR AT KENSINGTON CHURCH

      The Unitarian Universalist Church of Berkeley presents

      HOLLY NEAR
      as the 2005 Lawrence Lecturer

      "Demystifying Activism One Breath at a Time"

      Friday, October 21, 8:00 pm

      Tickets: Suggested donation $20
      Tickets Available at the Door only; no reserved seating. Doors Open at
      7:00
      pm.

      Holly Near chronicles her work as a social change artist and activist,
      breaking down the lessons she has learned over the last 35 years like a
      tap
      dancer breaks down an impressive combination. Facing the complexities of
      society with fascination rather than fear, Ms. Near tells a story that
      is
      full of laughter, passion, sorrow, despair and joy. She invites us to
      discover our own story along the way, and in doing so, we see that we
      are
      part of a long tradition of social change activism, of courage, of
      community.

      *Holly Near was the Ware Lecturer at the 2004 Unitarian Universalist
      Association General Assembly.*

      HOLLY NEAR SINGS FOR PEACE
      Holly has traveled from the fields of central California singing in
      support
      of The United Farm Workers to El Salvador where she sang for peace
      amidst
      war and conflict. She has been a powerful voice of humanity for over 25
      years. Her songs were sung clandestinely in Latin American prisons and
      sung
      boldly by Irish and English women who joined together to protest war.
      Whether in support of nurses striking for better conditions in the
      emergency
      room or in opposition to racist violence on the police force, Holly
      sings a
      bold truth.

      HOLLY NEAR SINGS FOR LOVE AND HUMAN RIGHTS
      Twenty some years ago, there were no nationally or internationally
      known,
      out lesbian singers. Holly was a major force in bringing lesbian music
      to a
      larger audience. The music was a lifeline for thousands of people as
      they
      "came out". Holly's songs crossed the ocean and found their way to
      those who
      thought they were "the only one" or to those whose very lives were in
      great
      danger if they were found out. Lesbians in the military mentioned
      Holly's
      name as a code word while trying to find each other amidst the
      hostility of
      the barracks. For years, Holly would be a lone voice at folk festivals,
      peace rallies and Hollywood fund-raisers, not only daring to say the
      word,
      but often getting large crowds of people to sing "...We are gay and
      straight
      together, singing for our lives."

      HOLLY SINGS FOR THE WORLD
      A peace activist and advocate for human and civil rights, Holly has
      linked
      the multitude of issues that are our lives, refusing the idea of
      separate
      "causes", calling for lesbian and gay issues to be part of the larger
      world
      peace addenda, encouraging the gay and lesbian community to have a world
      consciousness and end racism and sexism within the community.

      To find out more about Holly Near, visit her web site:
      http://www.hollynear.com/bio.html

      NINTH ANNUAL PCD MEN'S RETREAT
      The Ninth Annual PCD "Men's Retreat" theme is �How can we feel more
      satisfied and fulfilled by the groups we belong to?"

      This year�s 3-day retreat will be held October 21-23 at Westminster
      near
      Walnut Creek. For information see our website at www.pcd-uua.org , click
      on "Men�s Pages", and then to �Men�s Retreat.�

      Please see the registration form for details.

      You may also contact: Bryce Perry at 650-493-3833 or
      bryceperry@..., or
      Tony Bushman at tonybushman@....

      Costs only $225.

      Berkeley Fellowship of Unitarian Universalists
      1606 Bonita Ave, Berkeley CA, 94709
      phone: 510-841-4824
      fax: 510-841-3477
      Internet: www.bfuu.org
      e-mail: office@...
      Lauren Ren�e Hotchkiss, Administrator
      Office Hours: Monday-Thursday, 11-5

      Fellowship Hall address: 1924 Cedar Street, Berkeley CA 94709
      Sunday Services 10:30 a.m. to 12 noon, with lunch following