18964Mystery cat takes regular bus to the shops

  • Rosa
    Aug 5, 2010
      Last updated at 13:13pm on 12th April 2007

      Bus drivers have nicknamed a white cat Macavity after it has started using
      the No 331 several mornings a week.

      The feline, which has a purple collar, gets onto the busy Walsall to
      Wolverhampton bus at the same stop most mornings - he then jumps off at the
      next stop 400m down the road, near a fish and chip shop.

      The cat, nicknamed Macavity, has one blue eye and one green eye

      The cat was nicknamed Macavity after the mystery cat in T.S Elliot's poem.
      He gets on the bus in front of a row of 1950s semi-detached houses and jumps
      off at a row of shops down the road which include a fish and chip shop.

      Driver Bill Khunkhun, 49, who first saw the cat jumping from the bus in
      January, said: "It is really odd, the first time I saw the cat jumping off
      the bus with a group of passengers. I hadn't seen it get on which was a bit

      "The next day I pulled up on Churchill Road to let a couple of passengers
      on. As soon as I opened the doors the cat ran towards the bus, jumped on and
      ran under one of the seats, I don't think any of the passengers noticed.

      "Because I had seen it jump off the day before I carried on driving and sure
      enough when I stopped just down the road he jumped off - I don't know why he
      would catch the bus but he seems to like it. I told some of the other
      drivers on this route and they have seen him too."

      Since January, when the cat first caught the bus he has done it two or three
      times a week and always gets on and off at the same stops.

      Passenger, Paul Brennan, 19, who catches the 331 to work, said: "I first
      noticed the cat a few weeks ago. At first I thought it had been accompanied
      by its owner but after the first stop it became quite clear he was on his

      "He sat at the front of the bus, waited patiently for the next stop and then
      got off. It was was quite strange at first but now it just seems normal. I
      suppose he is the perfect passenger really - he sits quietly, minds his own
      business and then gets off."