New Member

  • cvoishere
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2004
      Hi. My name is Jim. Just found this board and read through past
      messages. Sure wish I would have found sooner. It's comforting to
      know that there is other people going through this terrible disease.
      I shouldn't complain since I still have all my body parts. I began
      having trouble a year ago; arches of my feet; calf muscles; hands
      turning white,blue,red and numbness then pain. I'm 43 and smoked
      heavily for 25 years. I always knew it was bad for me but you always
      feel indestructible when you're young. The doctors here did'nt seem
      to have a clue what was wrong with me. I found a rhemoligist after 4
      months of being jerked around and he thought i had this Beurgers and
      too stop smoking. You know how a smokers brain works, didn't beleive
      smoking could do this. After a few months of the worst pain I've
      ever experienced and losing the tip of my index finger I quit
      smoking cold turkey. I've been smoke free for 6 months now; hardest
      thing I've ever done; still fight the addiction every day. For all
      of you having trouble quitting there is hope. If I can stop anybody
      can. I told myself if you can just stop for one full day you can do
      it. That first day was pure hell but each day after was just a
      little better. I still can't beleive I actually quit. Now I'm slowly
      getting better and this really helps me to stay off the cigs. I live
      in central Minnesota where the climate is harsh and work outdoors;
      self-employed siding contractor. As you can guess did'nt work much;
      just enough to keep up the payment on my house. I just started
      working more and feeling fairly well when the other day the temp.
      went from 94 degrees to 28 in a matter of a few hours. This seemed
      to trigger a flare up. Now I'm worried again. Does anyone else have
      this happen? The doctor told me to give up my line of work and move
      someplace warmer. Trouble is I love what I do and my family all
      lives here. I also love to hunt and fish; outdoors again. I had to
      give up fishin but am trying turkey hunting next week; thank god for
      those chemical hand and toe warmers. Anyway starting too ramble. One
      question before I go. Does anyone know if marajuana has a negetive
      effect on this disease. Quit the cigs but still smokin weed. To
      scared to ask the doc small town and all. I figure one addiction at
      a time although I think weed has helped my stress level through all
      of this. Hope everyone out there can stop cigs. I'm proof that you
      will feel better.
    • nathan lindsey
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2004
        hi jim , my name is nathan i live in georgia , i haven`t been able t ostop as of yet but figh it everyday , i haven`t lost any thing , i know i`m lucky for that part , but on the weed , i have found a nicotine blocker i use on cigs, and even with that i still get a burningn sensation from smoking , so i `d say yes that the weed is still causing you problems , sorry to say that and also sorry to hear you have this mess , if only i knew then what i know now , but!! that`s the kicker i guess , and your weather , i know cold really affects it take care and good luck !

        cvoishere <cvo@...> wrote:Hi. My name is Jim. Just found this board and read through past
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
        var lrec_target="_top";var lrec_URL = new Array();lrec_URL[1] = "http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129vmva16/M=295196.4901138.6050264.3001176/D=groups/S=1705061104:HM/EXP=1083505235/A=1874382/R=0/id=flashurl/SIG=118tuuldn/*http://companion.yahoo.com/?.cpdl=srch";var link="javascript:LRECopenWindow(1)";var lrec_flashfile = 'http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ya/yahoo_companion/302_v1_nws_lrec_01.swf?clickTAG='+link+'';var lrec_altURL = "http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=129vmva16/M=295196.4901138.6050264.3001176/D=groups/S=1705061104:HM/EXP=1083505235/A=1874382/R=1/id=altimgurl/SIG=118tuuldn/*http://companion.yahoo.com/?.cpdl=srch";var lrec_altimg = "http://us.a1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/a/ya/yahoo_companion/302_v1_nws_lrec_01.gif";var lrec_width = 300;var lrec_height = 250;

      • Steve
        Message 3 of 3 , May 6, 2004
          Hi All, Have just found this site having never known it exsisted.
          I was diagnosed as a Beurgers sufferer - eventually - in 1998.
          Unfortunately, for me it was too late. I started with a below knee
          amputation and then two years later, a through the knee amputation
          of the same left leg. My family doctor did not recognise the
          symptoms and it was only recognised by a vascular surgeon on
          admission to A & E. It's good to know there are other people, like
          me, out there and that I have company. I mention the fact that I
          have the disease to medical professionals over here in the UK and
          get that puzzled look as if I'm trying to have them over. It is
          very rare over here. Interestingly enough, I have spoken to a
          number of Indian doctors who state that it is prevelant in India
          because of the harsh cigarettes that are smoked in that country. I
          learned too late that smoking is the main culprit to this disease -
          although I was never a heavy smoker. In so saying that, the medical
          profession still don't know what actually causes the onset.
          Good luck to everybody in kicking the habit and having to live with
          this problem.
          All the best
          Steve in the UK