Re:Fresh Food Major Issue For Bayview

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 7, 2007
      sounds good except for the wal-mart comparison, what did npr say?
      we just watched the anti-wal-mart documentary and it was
      illuminating. i wouldn't spend a dime there now. they're poison for a
      community in every way.

      from the fresh&easy website...
      "We're donating $1,000 to a neighborhood group every time we open a
      new store." http://freshandeasy.com/charity_voting.aspx

      From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      Type Grocery
      Founded 2007
      Headquarters El Segundo, CA
      Industry Supermarket/Retail
      Products Bakery, dairy, deli, frozen foods, general grocery, meat,
      pharmacy, produce, seafood, snacks, liquor
      Parent Tesco
      Website freshandeasy.com
      fresh&easy or Fresh & Easy Neighborhood Market is a chain of grocery
      stores on the US West Coast. It is a subsidiary of the UK-based
      retailer Tesco, the world's third largest retailer, and is Tesco's
      attempt to expand into the United States.

      Tesco's initial United States expansion plans
      On February 9, 2006, Tesco announced that it planned to move into the
      United States by opening a chain of small format grocery stores on
      the West Coast (Arizona, California and Nevada) in 2007 named Fresh &
      Easy.[2] The initial planned capital expenditure is up to £250
      ($436m) million per year. CEO Terry Leahy stated,

      "We have committed serious resources to developing a format that we
      believe will be really popular with American consumers".
      Investors responded with some scepticism to the project, with a small
      fall in the company's share price on the day of the announcement.[3]

      In May 2006, the Los Angeles Times reported that Tesco had purchased
      a 130,000 m2 (1,400,000 sq ft) distribution center in Riverside
      County, California, near Los Angeles, and planned to acquire another
      in Phoenix, Arizona. The markets are expected to be around 1,400 m2
      (15,000 sq ft) - good sized supermarkets in many countries, but about
      one-third the size of an average supermarket within the U.S..[4]

      By January 2007, Tesco opened its U.S. headquarters in El Segundo,
      California,[5] near the Los Angeles Airport. Tesco also began
      construction on the Riverside County distribution center, in Moreno
      Valley, California near the former March Air Reserve Base.[6] This
      disbritution center will have California's largest solar panel
      roofing system.[7]

      In October 2007, the Fresh & Easy CEO announced that the first
      California and Arizona stores will open November 8, 2007.[8]

      On November 1, 2007, Fresh & Easy opened its first store in Hemet,
      California in a "soft opening" capacity. Soft openings are
      traditionally done in the retail business in order to test systems
      and store staff and prepare for a larger "grand opening." The store
      in Hemet, California is scheduled for a "grand opening" on November
      8, 2007 along with 5 others in the Los Angeles and Orange County
      areas.

      First U.S. store, Los Angeles, CA

      Fresh & Easy market in Glassell Park
      Fresh & Easy market in Glassell ParkDecember 2006, Tesco announced it
      had leased a 3000 m2 (32,500 sq ft) former Albertsons store in
      Glassell Park (Los Angeles),[9] suggesting that the company might be
      planning stores twice as large as previously thought. However, it is
      documented that Tesco is in fact dividing the Glassell Park site in
      half by bringing in a concession so that it would be left with a
      store in line with its plans for a small format chain.

      "It is a strategy of developing local scale. They want to build
      enough market share to matter," said Darrell Rigby, who heads the
      global retail practice of consultant Bain & Co. in Boston. "The
      biggest question for competitors is how many Tesco formats will show
      up here," Rigby said. The size of the Glassell Park lease indicates
      that the British retailer most likely has a multifaceted approach to
      capturing a slice of the U.S. market, Rigby said.

      Both Albertsons Inc. and Kroger Co.'s Ralphs chain have closed
      supermarkets in the Glassell Park neighborhood, leaving the community
      with one independent grocer and a smattering of small convenience
      stores. "This has forced us to shop outside of our local area," said
      George Brauckman, president of the Glassell Park Improvement Assn. If
      Tesco "is clean and has fresh food and produce, it will do very
      well," Brauckman said. "People will like the idea that Glassell Park
      is the location for this new venture."

      Other Southern California stores
      In 2007, Tesco identified initial Southern California locations

      --- In betterbayview@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Lantsberg"
      <lantsberg@...> wrote:

      > there was a story on NPR's marketplace a couple of days ago about
      this expansion. the company is tesco, which is britain's largest
      store chain, and they're hoping to hit the middle niche in low income
      communities that lack access to larger stores like safeway. their
      hope is to use their immense buying power - a la the beast of
      bentonville wal-mart - to keep costs low in what is usually a pretty
      high priced ,market segment (small/mid-sized groceries).

      > > On 11/7/07, Kristine Enea <kristineenea@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi all, I'm happy to help spread the news that the Noteware
      > > Development project at 5800 Third Street, which broke ground
      > > recently, has negotiated a deal to house a "fresh&easy" full-
      service grocery store at their site. As a result of the grocery store
      deal, Noteware has been able to reconfigure their floor plans to add
      back more of the three-bedroom units that had been nixed when the
      building heights were reduced to three stories.
      > > Fresh & Easy Neighborhood Market is part of a UK company that is
      > > branching out into California. They are opening six or so stores
      in the SoCal area over the next month or so and will be up here in
      > person as soon as they can to answer questions. Meanwhile, they will
      > provide more information in writing at the next Full PAC meeting.
      You can also check them out on Wikipedia:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/fresh&easy

      > > Here's info on the next PAC meeting:
      > >
      > > Full PAC (Project Area Committee)
      > > Thursday, Nov 15, 6pm-8pm
      > > Southeast Community Facility
      > > 1800 Oakdale @ Phelps
      > >
      > > Kristine
    • Elizabeth Dubuque
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 8, 2007
        I am not only glad to hear of a grocery store but
        especially glad to hear they added more three-bedroom
        units. Thanks.
        --- Kristine Enea <kristineenea@...> wrote:

        > Hi all, I'm happy to help spread the news that the
        > Noteware
        > Development project at 5800 Third Street, which
        > broke ground
        > recently, has negotiated a deal to house a
        > "fresh&easy" full-service
        > grocery store at their site. As a result of the
        > grocery store deal,
        > Noteware has been able to reconfigure their floor
        > plans to add back
        > more of the three-bedroom units that had been nixed
        > when the building
        > heights were reduced to three stories.
        >
        > Fresh & Easy Neighborhood Market is part of a UK
        > company that is
        > branching out into California. They are opening six
        > or so stores in
        > the SoCal area over the next month or so and will be
        > up here in
        > person as soon as they can to answer questions.
        > Meanwhile, they will
        > provide more information in writing at the next Full
        > PAC meeting. You
        > can also check them out on Wikipedia:
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
        > fresh&easy
        >
        > Here's info on the next PAC meeting:
        >
        > Full PAC (Project Area Committee)
        > Thursday, Nov 15, 6pm-8pm
        > Southeast Community Facility
        > 1800 Oakdale @ Phelps
        >
        > Kristine

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Jeffrey Betcher
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 8, 2007
          Thanks, Kristine, for helping spread the word on Fresh & Easy, and
          for advancing an interesting discussion. The deal is not closed yet,
          and Amy at the Mayor's Office asked that I insert a message (below)
          into the discussion. I have a couple comments of my own, too,
          further down.

          Jeffrey

          Just to clarify, the developer of 5800 Third Street and Fresh and
          Easy Neighborhood Market have a non-binding Letter of Intent for the
          grocery store to purchase a commercial condo in which to open an
          approx. 14,000 s.f. store. The parties are currently working on a
          purchase agreement but have not reached a final deal. We believe a
          deal is close but cannot guarantee anything.

          The developer will be at the Bayview Hunters Point PAC meeting on
          November 15 with an update for the community and some additional
          information on Fresh and Easy. Fresh and Easy will be invited to a
          PAC meeting in early 2008.

          Amy

          Amy Cohen
          Project Manager
          Mayor's Office of Economic and Workforce Development 415-554-6649
          amy.b.cohen@...

          Amy has been working hard on getting a supermarket to the Bayview,
          and this would be a big step. I applaud her efforts. Tesco isn't
          perfect, and the larger collaborative effort to bring more food
          options here should continue aggressively.

          Our community can also take pride in this development. Many members
          of this group filled out the "food preferences" survey and took time
          to learn about the larger marketing plan designed to ensure community
          involvement in the process. Quesada Gardens wrote the plan and was
          the community leader on the survey, and continues to sit at the
          Southeast Sector Food Access working group table. Future discussions
          include outreach to improve existing food options, developing a
          community kitchen/canning facility, focusing on sustainable food
          systems, and developing a coop market for the Bayview. Anyone
          interested in more information about that is welcome to contact me.

          Thanks, again, to Kristine, and to Amy for what has been a
          challenging effort.

          --- In betterbayview@yahoogroups.com, "bayview94124" <mendellapt@...>