Fresh Food Major Issue For Bayview

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 6, 2007
      Fresh Food Major Issue For Bayview
      Study Shows Residents Willing To Pay For Healthy Food

      nbc11.com POSTED: 12:25 pm PDT October 29, 2007

      SAN FRANCISCO -- A study released Monday showed that residents in San
      Francisco's Bayview Hunters Point neighborhood think access to fresh
      and health food is an urgent issue that needs to be addressed.

      According to the study administered by the Southeast Sector Food
      Access Working Group, residents in the neighborhood have been asking
      for quality grocery stores for 20 years.

      Ninety-four percent of the 562 residents surveyed said they would
      actively support new food options in the neighborhood.

      Over half of the residents surveyed said they shop at Safeway stores
      in other neighborhoods. Four out of five respondents said that
      freshness was the most important factor when choosing a place to buy
      food, even above affordability.

      According to the study, 58 percent of residents want a co-op market
      in the neighborhood, while 53 percent said the most important factor
      when choosing a grocery store is that foods be free of pesticides and
      chemicals.

      Residents in the Bayview Hunters Point neighborhood have
      disproportionately higher rates of health problems associated with
      poor nutrition than other neighborhoods with better food options,
      according to the San Francisco Department of Public Health.

      "This survey makes clear how urgent it is that we find a way to
      provide Bayview Hunters Point residents with convenient access to the
      same kinds of healthful foods available in any other San Francisco
      neighborhood," said SEFA Co-Chair Mark Ghaly. "The disproportionate
      number of people here struggling with obesity, asthma, heart disease
      and other health issues demands that we do better."

      SEFA is a working group of the Mayor Gavin Newsom's Shape Up SF
      Coalition, and is composed of city agencies and community-based
      organizations.
    • Kristine Enea
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 7, 2007
        Hi all, I'm happy to help spread the news that the Noteware
        Development project at 5800 Third Street, which broke ground
        recently, has negotiated a deal to house a "fresh&easy" full-service
        grocery store at their site. As a result of the grocery store deal,
        Noteware has been able to reconfigure their floor plans to add back
        more of the three-bedroom units that had been nixed when the building
        heights were reduced to three stories.

        Fresh & Easy Neighborhood Market is part of a UK company that is
        branching out into California. They are opening six or so stores in
        the SoCal area over the next month or so and will be up here in
        person as soon as they can to answer questions. Meanwhile, they will
        provide more information in writing at the next Full PAC meeting. You
        can also check them out on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
        fresh&easy

        Here's info on the next PAC meeting:

        Full PAC (Project Area Committee)
        Thursday, Nov 15, 6pm-8pm
        Southeast Community Facility
        1800 Oakdale @ Phelps

        Kristine

          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 7, 2007
            sounds good except for the wal-mart comparison, what did npr say?
            we just watched the anti-wal-mart documentary and it was
            illuminating. i wouldn't spend a dime there now. they're poison for a
            community in every way.

            from the fresh&easy website...
            "We're donating $1,000 to a neighborhood group every time we open a
            new store." http://freshandeasy.com/charity_voting.aspx

            From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
            Type Grocery
            Founded 2007
            Headquarters El Segundo, CA
            Industry Supermarket/Retail
            Products Bakery, dairy, deli, frozen foods, general grocery, meat,
            pharmacy, produce, seafood, snacks, liquor
            Parent Tesco
            Website freshandeasy.com
            fresh&easy or Fresh & Easy Neighborhood Market is a chain of grocery
            stores on the US West Coast. It is a subsidiary of the UK-based
            retailer Tesco, the world's third largest retailer, and is Tesco's
            attempt to expand into the United States.

            Tesco's initial United States expansion plans
            On February 9, 2006, Tesco announced that it planned to move into the
            United States by opening a chain of small format grocery stores on
            the West Coast (Arizona, California and Nevada) in 2007 named Fresh &
            Easy.[2] The initial planned capital expenditure is up to £250
            ($436m) million per year. CEO Terry Leahy stated,

            "We have committed serious resources to developing a format that we
            believe will be really popular with American consumers".
            Investors responded with some scepticism to the project, with a small
            fall in the company's share price on the day of the announcement.[3]

            In May 2006, the Los Angeles Times reported that Tesco had purchased
            a 130,000 m2 (1,400,000 sq ft) distribution center in Riverside
            County, California, near Los Angeles, and planned to acquire another
            in Phoenix, Arizona. The markets are expected to be around 1,400 m2
            (15,000 sq ft) - good sized supermarkets in many countries, but about
            one-third the size of an average supermarket within the U.S..[4]

            By January 2007, Tesco opened its U.S. headquarters in El Segundo,
            California,[5] near the Los Angeles Airport. Tesco also began
            construction on the Riverside County distribution center, in Moreno
            Valley, California near the former March Air Reserve Base.[6] This
            disbritution center will have California's largest solar panel
            roofing system.[7]

            In October 2007, the Fresh & Easy CEO announced that the first
            California and Arizona stores will open November 8, 2007.[8]

            On November 1, 2007, Fresh & Easy opened its first store in Hemet,
            California in a "soft opening" capacity. Soft openings are
            traditionally done in the retail business in order to test systems
            and store staff and prepare for a larger "grand opening." The store
            in Hemet, California is scheduled for a "grand opening" on November
            8, 2007 along with 5 others in the Los Angeles and Orange County
            areas.

            First U.S. store, Los Angeles, CA

            Fresh & Easy market in Glassell Park
            Fresh & Easy market in Glassell ParkDecember 2006, Tesco announced it
            had leased a 3000 m2 (32,500 sq ft) former Albertsons store in
            Glassell Park (Los Angeles),[9] suggesting that the company might be
            planning stores twice as large as previously thought. However, it is
            documented that Tesco is in fact dividing the Glassell Park site in
            half by bringing in a concession so that it would be left with a
            store in line with its plans for a small format chain.

            "It is a strategy of developing local scale. They want to build
            enough market share to matter," said Darrell Rigby, who heads the
            global retail practice of consultant Bain & Co. in Boston. "The
            biggest question for competitors is how many Tesco formats will show
            up here," Rigby said. The size of the Glassell Park lease indicates
            that the British retailer most likely has a multifaceted approach to
            capturing a slice of the U.S. market, Rigby said.

            Both Albertsons Inc. and Kroger Co.'s Ralphs chain have closed
            supermarkets in the Glassell Park neighborhood, leaving the community
            with one independent grocer and a smattering of small convenience
            stores. "This has forced us to shop outside of our local area," said
            George Brauckman, president of the Glassell Park Improvement Assn. If
            Tesco "is clean and has fresh food and produce, it will do very
            well," Brauckman said. "People will like the idea that Glassell Park
            is the location for this new venture."

            Other Southern California stores
            In 2007, Tesco identified initial Southern California locations

            --- In betterbayview@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Lantsberg"
            <lantsberg@...> wrote:

            > there was a story on NPR's marketplace a couple of days ago about
            this expansion. the company is tesco, which is britain's largest
            store chain, and they're hoping to hit the middle niche in low income
            communities that lack access to larger stores like safeway. their
            hope is to use their immense buying power - a la the beast of
            bentonville wal-mart - to keep costs low in what is usually a pretty
            high priced ,market segment (small/mid-sized groceries).

            > > On 11/7/07, Kristine Enea <kristineenea@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi all, I'm happy to help spread the news that the Noteware
            > > Development project at 5800 Third Street, which broke ground
            > > recently, has negotiated a deal to house a "fresh&easy" full-
            service grocery store at their site. As a result of the grocery store
            deal, Noteware has been able to reconfigure their floor plans to add
            back more of the three-bedroom units that had been nixed when the
            building heights were reduced to three stories.
            > > Fresh & Easy Neighborhood Market is part of a UK company that is
            > > branching out into California. They are opening six or so stores
            in the SoCal area over the next month or so and will be up here in
            > person as soon as they can to answer questions. Meanwhile, they will
            > provide more information in writing at the next Full PAC meeting.
            You can also check them out on Wikipedia:
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/fresh&easy

            > > Here's info on the next PAC meeting:
            > >
            > > Full PAC (Project Area Committee)
            > > Thursday, Nov 15, 6pm-8pm
            > > Southeast Community Facility
            > > 1800 Oakdale @ Phelps
            > >
            > > Kristine
          • Elizabeth Dubuque
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 8, 2007
              I am not only glad to hear of a grocery store but
              especially glad to hear they added more three-bedroom
              units. Thanks.
              --- Kristine Enea <kristineenea@...> wrote:

              > Hi all, I'm happy to help spread the news that the
              > Noteware
              > Development project at 5800 Third Street, which
              > broke ground
              > recently, has negotiated a deal to house a
              > "fresh&easy" full-service
              > grocery store at their site. As a result of the
              > grocery store deal,
              > Noteware has been able to reconfigure their floor
              > plans to add back
              > more of the three-bedroom units that had been nixed
              > when the building
              > heights were reduced to three stories.
              >
              > Fresh & Easy Neighborhood Market is part of a UK
              > company that is
              > branching out into California. They are opening six
              > or so stores in
              > the SoCal area over the next month or so and will be
              > up here in
              > person as soon as they can to answer questions.
              > Meanwhile, they will
              > provide more information in writing at the next Full
              > PAC meeting. You
              > can also check them out on Wikipedia:
              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
              > fresh&easy
              >
              > Here's info on the next PAC meeting:
              >
              > Full PAC (Project Area Committee)
              > Thursday, Nov 15, 6pm-8pm
              > Southeast Community Facility
              > 1800 Oakdale @ Phelps
              >
              > Kristine

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Jeffrey Betcher
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 8, 2007
                Thanks, Kristine, for helping spread the word on Fresh & Easy, and
                for advancing an interesting discussion. The deal is not closed yet,
                and Amy at the Mayor's Office asked that I insert a message (below)
                into the discussion. I have a couple comments of my own, too,
                further down.

                Jeffrey

                Just to clarify, the developer of 5800 Third Street and Fresh and
                Easy Neighborhood Market have a non-binding Letter of Intent for the
                grocery store to purchase a commercial condo in which to open an
                approx. 14,000 s.f. store. The parties are currently working on a
                purchase agreement but have not reached a final deal. We believe a
                deal is close but cannot guarantee anything.

                The developer will be at the Bayview Hunters Point PAC meeting on
                November 15 with an update for the community and some additional
                information on Fresh and Easy. Fresh and Easy will be invited to a
                PAC meeting in early 2008.

                Amy

                Amy Cohen
                Project Manager
                Mayor's Office of Economic and Workforce Development 415-554-6649
                amy.b.cohen@...

                Amy has been working hard on getting a supermarket to the Bayview,
                and this would be a big step. I applaud her efforts. Tesco isn't
                perfect, and the larger collaborative effort to bring more food
                options here should continue aggressively.

                Our community can also take pride in this development. Many members
                of this group filled out the "food preferences" survey and took time
                to learn about the larger marketing plan designed to ensure community
                involvement in the process. Quesada Gardens wrote the plan and was
                the community leader on the survey, and continues to sit at the
                Southeast Sector Food Access working group table. Future discussions
                include outreach to improve existing food options, developing a
                community kitchen/canning facility, focusing on sustainable food
                systems, and developing a coop market for the Bayview. Anyone
                interested in more information about that is welcome to contact me.

                Thanks, again, to Kristine, and to Amy for what has been a
                challenging effort.

                --- In betterbayview@yahoogroups.com, "bayview94124" <mendellapt@...>