Re: [betterbayview] pick up some cans and bottles

  • Chris Waddling
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 6, 2007
      Re: [betterbayview] pick up some cans and bottles Good call!!

      Every morning, I’m at the Palou-Phelps mini park either calling 311 or picking up a can, bottle, and/or a wrapper.  I found this online for those who don’t want to stoop or touch something nasty:

      http://www.arcmate.com/Products.aspx?ParentID=43976

      For $20, get the folding one – that way you can whip it out of your purse and then fold it away when you’re done.

      Chris

      From: bayview94124 <mendellapt@...>
      Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 17:49:01 -0000
      To: <betterbayview@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [betterbayview] pick up some cans and bottles

      This taken from an essay by Wendell Berry.

      "A man who is willing to undertake the discipline and the difficulty of
      mending his own ways is worth more to the conservation movement than a
      hundred who are insisting merely that the government and the industries
      mend their ways.

      If you are concerned about the proliferation of trash, then by all
      means start an organization in your community to do something about it.
      But before - and while you organize, pick up some cans and bottles
      yourself. That way, at least, you will assure yourself and others that
      you mean what you say."

      I regularly call 311 to come clean the piles of debris, but starting
      today I will make a conscious effort to pick up at least one piece of
      trash each day, instead of stepping over it, as I walk the sidewalks of
      Bayview, even if it means going out of my way to find trash and a can
      to dispose of it properly.  :)