Re: from my friends at SPUR re: props A & H

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 6, 2007
      Still reading up on the props.
      More parking (H) sounds great, but FUF warns it means cutting down
      landmark trees to make driveways (bad). I encourage everyone to
      investigate these props and make an informed decision.

      --- In betterbayview@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Lantsberg"
      <lantsberg@...> wrote:

> [...]
      Prop H (Vote
      > No).
      > Prop A is a reform of Muni which provides much needed funding and
      labor
      > reform. Prop H is a parking initiative which would flood our
      downtown with
      > new cars (thus slowing Muni even more).
      >
      > In addition to Props A and H, there are other important measures,
      including
      > Prop C (Vote Yes) which I helped get onto the ballot.
      >
      > SPUR (the organization I work for) analyzes and takes positions on
      ballot
      > measures in every election. If you want to see full writeups and
      > recommendations on all the ballot measures, go to:
      > http://www.spur.org/documents/1107_ballot_analysis.shtm
      >
      > Also below is a short summary of Prop. A (Muni reform) from my
      colleague,
      > Dave Snyder who is SPUR's Transportation Policy Director.
      >
      > Best,
      >
      > Egon
      >

      > From Dave Snyder on Muni Reform:
      > Please forward this email to everyone you think might want to hear
      about
      > this chance to reform Muni.
      > Iʼm writing to encourage you to vote Yes on A, the Muni reform
      measure.
      > SPUR, an organization I respect for its analysis of San Francisco
      public
      > policy, helped to write this reform. It is critically important to
      fixing
      > some of the chronic problems that cause our transit system to be so
      > unreliable.
      >
      > Go here for the detailed analysis:
      > http://www.spur.org/documents/1107_ballot_analysis.shtm#a
      > For the executive summary, keep reading.
      >
      > Prop A provides more funding, about $26 million, by allowing the
      MTA to keep
> [...]
      > will be managers and supervisors whose job it will be to make sure
      the buses
      > leave the yards on time. You -- or your division -- don't perform;
      you're
      > fired.
      >
      > Which brings us to labor reform. Driving a bus is a hard job. Bus
      operators
      > typically work difficult and long shifts to meet peak travel
      demand. They
      > bear the brunt of public frustration with bad service, even when
      it's not
      > their fault. With no outlet for stress, the resultant health
      problems are
      > predictable: in every major city, bus drivers suffer heart problems
      > significantly worse than the general population. Still, most
      operators do
      > the job and do it well. The problem is that some don't, and
      management has
      > too few tools to discipline the workforce. Prop A provides
      management the
      > tools to change the "work rules" that determine how the work force
      is
      > deployed and disciplined. Without the ability to negotiate new work
      rules,
      > transit reform could not succeed.
      >
      > Perhaps most importantly, in this era when everyone knows we have
      to do
      > something about global warming but is having a hard time figuring
      out what
      > to do besides change our light bulbs, Prop A provides a big part of
      our
      > answer. Most of San Francisco's global warming emissions come from
      the
      > transportation sector. Prop A requires the MTA to create a climate
      action
      > plan that details exactly how the agency in charge of
      transportation will
      > help us reduce our emissions, from making transit hugely better
      (enough to
      > attract tens of thousands more riders), to replacing its buses with
      clean
      > fuel and electric buses, and figuring out how to make walking and
      bicycling
      > safer and more attractive to more people. Prop A will reform Muni,
      and it
      > will also reform transportation.
      >
      > SPUR is an evidence-based organization. We make our ballot
      recommendations
      > not on expedient politics but on best practices in good government
      and good
      > planning. Prop A includes all the things that our analysis shows is
      > necessary to fix Muni. With such a comprehensive measure, it's easy
      for
      > people to take potshots at this small element or another of the
      reform.
      > Don't let the propaganda fool you. Read SPUR's ballot analysis at
      > spur.organd decide for yourself. We think once you learn about the

    • Melita R
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 6, 2007
        Well my take on the two Props A and H are kinda straightforward.

        Prop A wants to have MUNI more accountable and work on a transit policy.

        Prop H wants to solve the congestion problem by building more parking downtown. Because of the larger number of cars that would come into the CIty to work/visit again the public transit would be slowed down.

        Coming from NYC originally - there really shouldn't be such an issue about the parking in SF. The public transit is decent considering it doesn't even supply the number of people that the NYC transit does. Yes MUNI could be much better. But if we allow more parking spaces for the cars I think we are shooting ourselves in the public transit foot.

        JMHO (Just my humble opinion)

        Melita