Re: perception of a safe neighborhood

  • Ivan T
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 27, 2013

      I agree about the perception of safety. I often pick up trash on the street hoping it will help, and maybe set a good example for others. I believe it works a little as we see neighbors sweeping and picking up trash more than when I moved here.

      If we could somehow make it cool to NOT throw trash on the street, which I see happen frequently usually by passing motorists, that would help. All kinds of people litter but it seems to happen more here. I don't understand a culture that just throws trash out the window uncaringly.

      Walking our dog around the neighborhood, a dog that almost never growls or barks or jumps on folks but greets people with a wagging tail, has been a wonderful way to meet neighbors. We wave and greet people and make direct eye contact. Some folks are icy or ignore us but many respond positively. Strangers wave back or smile, neighbors now often wave or shout a greeting... to the dog! I've learned a lot from dogs.

      I do wish the dog owner who picks up his/her dog poop in a pretty pink bag and then often drops it in the street in front of my home would just take it home or find a public trash can. At least they bagged it. Back to trash cans... We need more of them esp. where people walk dogs. I know public trash cans have baggage (sorry for bad pun) but we need some more in Bayview. Should we coordinate a request? Is this worth pursuing?

      Have a good weekend all.

      Ivan

      Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 27, 2013
        I own a home on Revere; I find that most trash gathered on my front sidewalk and in planted garden areas appears the day of, and the day after trash collection. Through simple observation, there are three obvious reasons for this:
        1. some of my neighbors don't bag all (or part of) their trash before putting it in the BLACK bin; when emptied into the trash-collection truck, some loose trash is blown out of (or falls from) the truck hopper as the BLACK bin is emptied into the truck.
        2. small loose paper items from the BLUE recycling bins is blown out of (or falls from) the recycling truck hopper as the BLUE bin is emptied.
        3. overnight scavengers whom raid the BLUE recycling bins for $$-value items carelessly drop paper recycling materials into the street; some also leave the top cover of the BLUE bin opened after their raiding, and then overnight winds blow loose recycled items out of the bin, and into the street.
        How can these items be solved?
        1. get to know and speak with your neighbors, and kindly ask them to make sure ALL their BLACK-bin trash is bagged before depositing into the bin.
        2. this one is harder; but I try to put small loose recyclable paper items inside cardboard boxes and/or paper bags before depositing them into the BLUE bin.
        3. this one is also harder for most people: I put my trash and recycling bins at the curb very early the morning of collection (not the night before). I know the Recology trucks come very early in the morning; but I am up and going to work before the trucks come. This solves the raiding problem.
        Another line of attack: write and call Recology, asking them to re-design their truck hoppers, so no loose items can escape when the bins are emptied into the trucks. But if everyone followed the three remedies above, then this source of street trash is eliminated.

        Until then, I simply pick up the sidewalk trash, put it in a bag, and deposit it into my BLUE or BLACK bin, as appropriate. It really doesn't take more than one minute to do this simple chore when I come home from work on trash-collection days.

        Doug

        ideal on Evans by "Kristine Enea" kristineenea
        1b
        Re: ideal on Evans by "ann dejesus" anndejesus2000
        1c
        Re: ideal on Evans by "Alex Lantsberg" wideyegroup
        1d
        Re: ideal on Evans by "ann dejesus" anndejesus2000
        1e

        ____________ _________ _________ __
        Hi all, i just noticed a new logo outside the freshly-painted building on Evans Ave:
        http://idealsf. com/
        Always good to see a new business in the 'hood!
        Take a look at their Community page - perhaps some introductions are in order?
        Kristine

        Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:35 am (PDT) . Posted by:

        "Alex Lantsberg" wideyegroup

        and today i got notice of environmental review for a new SFPD forensics lab
        and traffic company at 1995 evans, the old Parisian bakery. they want to
        demo the existing building and build a new 4-story 128K SF builidng and 47K
        SF parking garage. This is a great location for them!

        On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 9:21 AM, ann dejesus <anndejesus2000@ yahoo.com>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Thank you for sharing - it is good to hear good news about a new business
        > first thing on a Friday!!!!
        >
        > Onwards and upwards to an even better Bayview,

        The Yahoo! Groups Product Blog