200 Paul Ave/400 Pal Ave Developments

  • David Froehlich
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 15, 2013
      Hi Heidi,

      Our neighborhood group as well as other Bayview community members have
      concerns about both the 200 Paul and 400 Paul Ave projects.

      We met with the representatives for the 200 Paul project, whom were
      somewhat defensive and seemed to be more concerned about providing
      better service for their tenants than the neighbors of their building
      and the effects on them. They stated that they currently have 17
      existing diesel generators that will be upgraded and will be adding 22
      new diesel generators. That makes a total of 35 diesel generators. Two
      generators will be tested twice daily, once a month on business days
      which means that there will be diesel generators being tested every
      working day of the year. The Bayview is currently trying to make
      improvements and clean up. The representatives said they would be a
      net zero increase in air pollution but I believe that a company should
      be doing better to reduce the pollutants and not just break even,
      especially adjacent to a residential area. Another concern is that
      each generator also has a 4,000 gallon tank of diesel fuel and what
      would happen in the event of an emergency or earthquake. The residents
      of 5800 3rd Street also have a direct view of the back of the 200 Paul
      Ave lot which is where the diesel generators will be located and there
      is currently no screening or improvements to the side or back of the
      property for noise, view or pollutants. The developers were supposed
      to get back to us with answers to some of our questions but we still
      have not heard back from them.

      We have not met or heard from anyone about the 400 Paul project but
      after reviewing the plans it looks like they too will be adding 18
      diesel generators which will add to the noise and pollution to the
      neighborhood. The plan also shows new driveways into their property
      which will remove a few parking spots. There is currently a flag stop
      for the Muni bus in front on Paul Ave which is currently difficult to
      use as you have to step into oncoming traffic from parked cars to wave
      the bus down. The plan also shows two parking lots that hold a total
      of 160 cars and a gravel service yard for truck access. Paul Ave is
      already a dangerous street with cars speeding up and down and at times
      can be clogged with traffic on game days and morning commuters turning
      onto 3rd Street or Bayshore Blvd. We currently have trucks from the
      tenants (Astound) of 200 Paul Ave speeding down our neighborhood
      streets at all hours of the day and night and do not want this to get
      worse. The addition of 160 parking spaces is a concern that traffic
      will heavily increase along our corridor without any improvements to
      the current infrastructure; repaving, pedestrian safety improvements,
      bike improvements, traffic calming, etc.

      We are not opposed to the companies expanding and moving into the area
      in the case for 400 Paul do want to see that it does negatively impact
      our neighborhood or the Bayview/Portola Districts. Perhaps there is a
      cleaner alternative to 53 backup diesel generators? I also see that
      the estimated construction cost for 400 Paul alone is $20.5 million
      and wanted to check and see if there were development impact fees
      associated with these two projects and where the money goes to.

      Thank you for allowing us to voice our concerns and please keep us
      informed on the process for these two projects. I have copied our
      supervisor, Malia Cohen on this email so that she is aware of our
      concerns as well.

      Sincerely,
      David Froehlich
      Exeter St