Re: [betterbayview] Re: Fwd: Really wild here in BVHP?

  • Dust Wells
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 4, 2013
      they used some glib language to refer to the sociological fact that crime rises when the temperature rises

      crime goes down when it rains too . . . so that's interesting . . .

      their language was a step away from being racist

      but I've lived in the Bayview for over a decade. I know that stop signs are optional on Fridays. that people go crazy here on hot days and on holidays and start spinning donuts in the intersections, so I'm always extra-careful about driving and walking on hot days and I think you should be too

      I love the Bayview, but be careful . . . don't look at your phone on MUNI, ever!!!

      Dust

      On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 5:32 PM, Sean Karlin <seandkarlin@...> wrote:

      That I get, and I even witnessed some of the police response around Innes and up the hill in Hunters Point.  But I really want to read the article considering how offended our neighbors felt by it.

      On Jul 4, 2013, at 4:34 PM, Dust Wells <dusty.whales@...> wrote:

      Let's not sugarcoat the problems, however.

      do you not get the police log emailed to you 3x a week?

      On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 11:35 AM, Sean Karlin <seandkarlin@...> wrote:

      Sorry, can someone put a link to the story? All I have seen is the emails condemning it.

      Sean D. Karlin
      seandkarlin@...

      415.265.8691.m

      On Jul 4, 2013, at 11:03 AM, "ivan" <hulagun66@...> wrote:

      > Good job Chris!
      >
      > 100% agree.
      >
      > Isn't it still true violent crime/ murder is actually worse over in the beloved, oh-so-hip, no longer affordable Mission District?
      >
      > Ivan
      >
      > --- In betterbayview@yahoogroups.com, Chris Buck <mrchrisbuck@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Here is my open letter to Matier & Ross:
      >>
      >> Begin forwarded message:
      >>
      >>> From: Chris Buck <mrchrisbuck@...>
      >>> Date: July 1, 2013, 1:31:11 PM PDT
      >>> To: "matierandross@..." <matierandross@...>
      >>> Cc: Malia Cohen <Malia.Cohen@...>, "bayviewmerchantsassociation@..." <bayviewmerchantsassociation@...>
      >>> Subject: Really wild here in BVHP?
      >>>
      >>> Dear Phillip Matier & Andrew Ross,
      >>> Regarding your piece in today's paper about last week's double shooting at Northridge & Westpoint, I take strong exception to the way you portray Bayview Hunters Point.
      >>>
      >>> Homicide and shootings are down in BVHP but no, facts don't get in your way, and you write "Fire Zone: Summer is here and it's getting really wild out in Bayview-Hunters Point..."
      >>>
      >>> Yes, every shooting and homicide is tragic but with violent crime down in BVHP, with one careless, inflammatory description of our community, you have erased all the hard work and efforts of our elected officials, community leaders and law enforcement officials. It's easier for you to fall back on your old conceptions of our neighborhood. As an 11-year resident 1/2 block from 3rd & Palou, I am as outraged by these shootings as everyone else. It does not mean however, that "it's getting really wild."
      >>>
      >>> A lot of businesses and community members have been working really hard for years to make 3rd Street and other areas of BVHP more economically viable. Now readers just received your printed assessment: stay out of BVHP at all costs, it is nothing but mayhem here.
      >>>
      >>> The Editor of the Chronicle also deserves reprimand for allowing this untrue statement to be published. If you wrote this way about North Beach you would be sued for libel.
      >>>
      >>> I am asking for the courtesy of a reply to this complaint to be sent to myself and Supervisor Malia Cohen and the Bayview Merchants Association. At a minimum, a written correction or follow-up piece about the defamatory nature of your words should also be seriously considered by the Chronicle editorial staff.
      >>>
      >>> Sincerely,
      >>>
      >>> Chris Buck
      >>> 1600 block, Palou Ave
      >>> 415-596-0436
      >>>
      >>> P.S. I will be forwarding this as an open letter to other members of our community
      >>>
      >>> Sent from my iPhone

      new cell (415) 335-3364

      --

      new cell (415) 335-3364
    • ivan
      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 5, 2013
        The article is not available online that I can find. Can someone with a hard copy scan and upload the article? Or maybe someone with an online subscription can grab a screenshot.

        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 5, 2013

          Here's the article...

          Fire zone: Summer is here and it's getting really wild out in Bayview-Hunters Point - where bullets are flying and cops have seized 131 guns so far this year, with 80 arrests.

          Citywide, gun arrests nearly doubled as well, to 225 from 114.

          Ironically, however, the rise in gun seizures is making it harder to keep the shooters off the streets.

          Consider a recent drive-by shooting in the middle of the day at a bus stop shelter at West Point and Middle Point roads.

          Within hours, the cops had identified the shooters as members of the Big Block gang and had sent undercover cops to surround the suspect's' home while awaiting search warrants.

          The situation was tense enough, but then one of the cops spotted a member of the rival West Mobb gang lurking in the shadows across the street.

          What really got the cops' attention was when he raised what turned out to be a 7.62mm-caliber rifle with an extended 50-round clip, racked the chamber and took aim at the window of the Big Block house.

          According to police reports, the cops sprang out of their positions and the gunman took off running - and, as is often the case, tossed the gun away. They're still looking for him.

          The next day police were called by a neighbor who had found the rifle in his backyard. It's now undergoing DNA and fingerprint analysis.

          Here's the catch - so many guns are being seized that it's taking months for crime-lab techs to run the tests and come back with the results.

          And in the meantime, the suspects have to be cut loose, pending the lab findings that can enable the district attorney to bring a case.

          Alex via mobile

        • Dust Wells
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 5, 2013
            ya'll mad about that?

            "Fire zone: Summer is here and it's getting really wild out in Bayview-Hunters Point - where bullets are flying"

            sheesh.

            --

            new cell (415) 335-3364
          • ivan
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 6, 2013
              Thanks Alex. Definitely has a sensational vibe without context or depth. Typical of the "news".

              --- In betterbayview@yahoogroups.com, Alex Lantsberg <lantsberg@...> wrote:

              > Here's the article...
              >
              > Fire zone: Summer is here and it's getting really wild out in
              > Bayview-Hunters Point - where bullets are flying and cops have seized 131
              > guns so far this year, with 80 arrests.
              >
              > Citywide, gun arrests nearly doubled as well, to 225 from 114.
              >
              > Ironically, however, the rise in gun seizures is making it harder to keep
              > the shooters off the streets.
              >
              > Consider a recent drive-by shooting in the middle of the day at a bus stop
              > shelter at West Point and Middle Point roads.
              >
              > Within hours, the cops had identified the shooters as members of the Big
              > Block gang and had sent undercover cops to surround the suspect's' home
              > while awaiting search warrants.
              >
              > The situation was tense enough, but then one of the cops spotted a member
              > of the rival West Mobb gang lurking in the shadows across the street.
              >
              > What really got the cops' attention was when he raised what turned out to
              > be a 7.62mm-caliber rifle with an extended 50-round clip, racked the
              > chamber and took aim at the window of the Big Block house.
              >
              > According to police reports, the cops sprang out of their positions and the
              > gunman took off running - and, as is often the case, tossed the gun away.
              > They're still looking for him.
              >
              > The next day police were called by a neighbor who had found the rifle in
              > his backyard. It's now undergoing DNA and fingerprint analysis.
              >
              > Here's the catch - so many guns are being seized that it's taking months
              > for crime-lab techs to run the tests and come back with the results.
              >
              > And in the meantime, the suspects have to be cut loose, pending the lab
              > findings that can enable the district attorney to bring a case.
              >
              > Alex via mobile
              > On Jul 5, 2013 12:35 PM, "ivan" <hulagun66@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > The article is not available online that I can find. Can someone with a
              > > hard copy scan and upload the article? Or maybe someone with an online
              > > subscription can grab a screenshot.

            • Jeffrey
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 25, 2013
                Hi All,

                If it's useful to you, I'm here on the 2nd and can show people around Quesada Gardens (including Bridgeview Garden and other projects).

                If commerce is the angle, Quesada Gardens General Store is nearing launch (with thanks to Earl and All Good for early product development and pop-up store help).

                If you want to make the point the business development in the neighborhood shouldn't be a secret, there are 63 posts on the community blog tagged "Business" since mid-2009. http://quesadagardensblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Business

                Just FYI, I submitted a letter to the editor after seeing Chris' letter. It didn't get published.

                Editor,

                In their Monday column, Matier and Ross meander. They say that, while gun seizures and arrests are way up across the City, the time it takes the crime-lab to do gun analysis is so long that suspects often can't be held ("BART drama," July 1). Okay. But why such a long detour to slam just one San Francisco neighborhood?

                Guys, come out for a tour of Bayview Hunters Point. I'll show you a beautiful, safe and vibrant place where folks are not what your readers might assume from your column: zoo animals who can't behave when the temperature goes up. You will leave unharmed, I promise, and perhaps enlightened.

                Jeffrey Betcher