Re: [betterbayview] Fwd: Really wild here in BVHP?

  • maia carriveau
    Message 1 of 22 , Jul 1, 2013
      I sent a personal thank you to Chris directly, but wanted to thank him once more publicly. We recently moved to the Bayview, and really like it here; we've met great neighbors. We appreciate Chris's response to Matier and Ross!

      On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 2:54 PM, ann dejesus <anndejesus2000@...> wrote:

      Kudos to you!  Thanks for standing up for the Bayview.  It is heart-warming that others share (for want of better words), "pride of living" in the Bayview!

      Do no think that anyone would debate that there are issues that the Bayview stills need to work on; however, positive momentum has already begun with much more on the horizon!

      Best,
      Ann deJesus

      Message 2 of 22 , Jul 3, 2013
        Hi all,
        This description of Bayview Hunters Point by Matier & Ross ran in Monday's paper, July 1st. It was the 2nd story in their column. The online version only appears to include their lead story from that day.

        Does anyone have a hard copy of Monday's Chronicle?

        Here is the link to the Matier & Ross column.

        Can anyone else find the M&R column anywhere on SF Gate or the full-length Chronicle website?

        The support for my open letter (an email tapped out on my phone during lunch break) and the disappointment in the depiction of BVHP by our community is very heartening.

        I haven't received a reply or been contacted by M&R or the Chronicle. I would like to secure a hard copy & online version of Monday's column, while I still await a response.

        Glad to know I'm not the only one taking issue with Monday's column.

        Thanks,

        Chris Buck
        Palou Ave

        From: Chris Buck <mrchrisbuck@...>Date: July 1, 2013, 1:31:11 PM PDTTo: "matierandross@..." <matierandross@...>Cc: Malia Cohen <Malia.Cohen@...>, "bayviewmerchantsassociation@..." <bayviewmerchantsassociation@...>Subject: Really wild here in BVHP?
[...]
      • ximena ares
        Message 3 of 22 , Jul 3, 2013
          you bet.   Next time, you may cc BetterBayview so that we can reply directly to the Chronicle with our support = )

          From: Chris Buck <mrchrisbuck@...>Date: July 1, 2013, 1:31:11 PM PDTTo: "matierandross@..." <matierandross@...>Cc: Malia Cohen <Malia.Cohen@...>, "bayviewmerchantsassociation@..." <bayviewmerchantsassociation@...>Subject: Really wild here in BVHP?
[...]

        • Diego Castellani
          Message 4 of 22 , Jul 3, 2013
            Absolutely, saw your email the other day Chris and totally agree with you.
            We need to converge as a all group here in the Bayview District and disagree with this misleading article, at least as a suggestion, ask for an apology.
            Unfortunately certain city's department still wants to confine the BD in a sort of limbo, a place where in example, you can displace crime or a new shelter...

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Jul 3, 2013, at 12:58 PM, ximena ares <ximenaares@...> wrote

            From: Chris Buck <mrchrisbuck@...>Date: July 1, 2013, 1:31:11 PM PDTTo: "matierandross@..." <matierandross@...>Cc: Malia Cohen <Malia.Cohen@...>, "bayviewmerchantsassociation@..." <bayviewmerchantsassociation@...>Subject: Really wild here in BVHP?
[...]

          • billbeier
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 3, 2013
              Which 'city department'?   Human Services?

              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 3, 2013
                Lets invite M&R and the Chronicle editorial board out for a walking tour and lunch.  I'll bet we could get All Good or Radio Africa to treat them to something really surprising, and we could show them why we LOVE this place!   We could end the tour at my place with some Speakeasy Beer and a view of a real undeveloped shoreline diamond in the rough*.   If they ever were to experience the Bayview we know they would all sign it praises as we do.

                *  John King had an orgasm over the undeveloped portion of Chrissy Field and called it the last undeveloped shoreline in SF.   Actually India Basin is the last undeveloped shoreline in SF with a potential surpassing that of Chrissy Field.

                Michael Hamman
                702 Earl Street
                San Francisco, CA 94124
                415-643-1376 Office
                415-265-0954 Cell
                mhamman@...

                From: Chris Buck <mrchrisbuck@...>Date: July 1, 2013, 1:31:11 PM PDTTo: "matierandross@..." <matierandross@...>Cc: Malia Cohen <Malia.Cohen@...>, "bayviewmerchantsassociation@..." <bayviewmerchantsassociation@...>Subject: Really wild here in BVHP?
[...]

              • Kristin Houk

                    From: Chris Buck <mrchrisbuck@...>Date: July 1, 2013, 1:31:11 PM PDTTo: "matierandross@..." <matierandross@...>Cc: Malia Cohen <Malia.Cohen@...>, "bayviewmerchantsassociation@..." <bayviewmerchantsassociation@...>Subject: Really wild here in BVHP?
                    Dear Phillip Matier & Andrew Ross,Regarding your piece in today's paper about last week's double shooting at Northridge & Westpoint, I take strong exception to the way you portray Bayview Hunters Point.Homicide and shootings are down in BVHP but no, facts don't get in your way, and you write "Fire Zone: Summer is here and it's getting really wild out in Bayview-Hunters Point..."Yes, every shooting and homicide is tragic but with violent crime down in BVHP, with one careless, inflammatory description of our community, you have erased all the hard work and efforts of our elected officials, community leaders and law enforcement officials. It's easier for you to fall back on your old conceptions of our neighborhood. As
                  • Dan Dodt

                      From: Chris Buck <mrchrisbuck@...>Date: July 1, 2013, 1:31:11 PM PDTTo: "matierandross@..." <matierandross@...>Cc: Malia Cohen <Malia.Cohen@...>, "bayviewmerchantsassociation@..." <bayviewmerchantsassociation@...>Subject: Really wild here in BVHP?
[...]

                    • ivan
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jul 4, 2013
                        Good job Chris!

                        100% agree.

                        Isn't it still true violent crime/ murder is actually worse over in the beloved, oh-so-hip, no longer affordable Mission District?

                        Ivan

                        --- In betterbayview@yahoogroups.com, Chris Buck <mrchrisbuck@...> wrote:

                        > Here is my open letter to Matier & Ross:
                        >
                        > Begin forwarded message:
                        >
                        > > From: Chris Buck <mrchrisbuck@...>
                        > > Date: July 1, 2013, 1:31:11 PM PDT
                        > > To: "matierandross@..." <matierandross@...>
                        > > Cc: Malia Cohen <Malia.Cohen@...>, "bayviewmerchantsassociation@..." <bayviewmerchantsassociation@...>
                        > > Subject: Really wild here in BVHP?
                        > >
                        > > Dear Phillip Matier & Andrew Ross,
                        > > Regarding your piece in today's paper about last week's double shooting at Northridge & Westpoint, I take strong exception to the way you portray Bayview Hunters Point.
                        > >
                        > > Homicide and shootings are down in BVHP but no, facts don't get in your way, and you write "Fire Zone: Summer is here and it's getting really wild out in Bayview-Hunters Point..."
                        > >
                        > > Yes, every shooting and homicide is tragic but with violent crime down in BVHP, with one careless, inflammatory description of our community, you have erased all the hard work and efforts of our elected officials, community leaders and law enforcement officials. It's easier for you to fall back on your old conceptions of our neighborhood. As an 11-year resident 1/2 block from 3rd & Palou, I am as outraged by these shootings as everyone else. It does not mean however, that "it's getting really wild."
                        > >
                        > > A lot of businesses and community members have been working really hard for years to make 3rd Street and other areas of BVHP more economically viable. Now readers just received your printed assessment: stay out of BVHP at all costs, it is nothing but mayhem here.
                        > >
                        > > The Editor of the Chronicle also deserves reprimand for allowing this untrue statement to be published. If you wrote this way about North Beach you would be sued for libel.
                        > >
                        > > I am asking for the courtesy of a reply to this complaint to be sent to myself and Supervisor Malia Cohen and the Bayview Merchants Association. At a minimum, a written correction or follow-up piece about the defamatory nature of your words should also be seriously considered by the Chronicle editorial staff.
                        > >
                        > > Sincerely,
                        > >
                        > > Chris Buck
                        > > 1600 block, Palou Ave
                        > > 415-596-0436
                        > >
                        > > P.S. I will be forwarding this as an open letter to other members of our community
                        > >
                        > > Sent from my iPhone

                      • Sean Karlin
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jul 4, 2013
                          Sorry, can someone put a link to the story? All I have seen is the emails condemning it.

                          Sean D. Karlin
                          seandkarlin@...

                          415.265.8691.m

                          On Jul 4, 2013, at 11:03 AM, "ivan" <hulagun66@...> wrote:

                          > Good job Chris!
                          >
                          > 100% agree.
                          >
                          > Isn't it still true violent crime/ murder is actually worse over in the beloved, oh-so-hip, no longer affordable Mission District?
                          >
                          > Ivan
                          >
                          > --- In betterbayview@yahoogroups.com, Chris Buck <mrchrisbuck@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> Here is my open letter to Matier & Ross:
                          >>
                          >> Begin forwarded message:
                          >>
                          >>> From: Chris Buck <mrchrisbuck@...>
                          >>> Date: July 1, 2013, 1:31:11 PM PDT
                          >>> To: "matierandross@..." <matierandross@...>
                          >>> Cc: Malia Cohen <Malia.Cohen@...>, "bayviewmerchantsassociation@..." <bayviewmerchantsassociation@...>
                          >>> Subject: Really wild here in BVHP?
                          >>>
                          >>> Dear Phillip Matier & Andrew Ross,
                          >>> Regarding your piece in today's paper about last week's double shooting at Northridge & Westpoint, I take strong exception to the way you portray Bayview Hunters Point.
                          >>>
                          >>> Homicide and shootings are down in BVHP but no, facts don't get in your way, and you write "Fire Zone: Summer is here and it's getting really wild out in Bayview-Hunters Point..."
                          >>>
                          >>> Yes, every shooting and homicide is tragic but with violent crime down in BVHP, with one careless, inflammatory description of our community, you have erased all the hard work and efforts of our elected officials, community leaders and law enforcement officials. It's easier for you to fall back on your old conceptions of our neighborhood. As an 11-year resident 1/2 block from 3rd & Palou, I am as outraged by these shootings as everyone else. It does not mean however, that "it's getting really wild."
                          >>>
                          >>> A lot of businesses and community members have been working really hard for years to make 3rd Street and other areas of BVHP more economically viable. Now readers just received your printed assessment: stay out of BVHP at all costs, it is nothing but mayhem here.
                          >>>
                          >>> The Editor of the Chronicle also deserves reprimand for allowing this untrue statement to be published. If you wrote this way about North Beach you would be sued for libel.
                          >>>
                          >>> I am asking for the courtesy of a reply to this complaint to be sent to myself and Supervisor Malia Cohen and the Bayview Merchants Association. At a minimum, a written correction or follow-up piece about the defamatory nature of your words should also be seriously considered by the Chronicle editorial staff.
                          >>>
                          >>> Sincerely,
                          >>>
                          >>> Chris Buck
                          >>> 1600 block, Palou Ave
                          >>> 415-596-0436
                          >>>
                          >>> P.S. I will be forwarding this as an open letter to other members of our community
                          >>>
                          >>> Sent from my iPhone

                        • Dust Wells
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jul 4, 2013

                            Let's not sugarcoat the problems, however.

                            do you not get the police log emailed to you 3x a week?

                            On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 11:35 AM, Sean Karlin <seandkarlin@...> wrote:

                            Sorry, can someone put a link to the story? All I have seen is the emails condemning it.

                            Sean D. Karlin
                            seandkarlin@...

                            415.265.8691.m

                            On Jul 4, 2013, at 11:03 AM, "ivan" <hulagun66@...> wrote:

                            > Good job Chris!
                            >
                            > 100% agree.
                            >
                            > Isn't it still true violent crime/ murder is actually worse over in the beloved, oh-so-hip, no longer affordable Mission District?
                            >
                            > Ivan
                            >
                            > --- In betterbayview@yahoogroups.com, Chris Buck <mrchrisbuck@...> wrote:
                            >>
                            >> Here is my open letter to Matier & Ross:
                            >>
                            >> Begin forwarded message:
                            >>
                            >>> From: Chris Buck <mrchrisbuck@...>
                            >>> Date: July 1, 2013, 1:31:11 PM PDT
                            >>> To: "matierandross@..." <matierandross@...>
                            >>> Cc: Malia Cohen <Malia.Cohen@...>, "bayviewmerchantsassociation@..." <bayviewmerchantsassociation@...>
                            >>> Subject: Really wild here in BVHP?
                            >>>
                            >>> Dear Phillip Matier & Andrew Ross,
                            >>> Regarding your piece in today's paper about last week's double shooting at Northridge & Westpoint, I take strong exception to the way you portray Bayview Hunters Point.
                            >>>
                            >>> Homicide and shootings are down in BVHP but no, facts don't get in your way, and you write "Fire Zone: Summer is here and it's getting really wild out in Bayview-Hunters Point..."
                            >>>
                            >>> Yes, every shooting and homicide is tragic but with violent crime down in BVHP, with one careless, inflammatory description of our community, you have erased all the hard work and efforts of our elected officials, community leaders and law enforcement officials. It's easier for you to fall back on your old conceptions of our neighborhood. As an 11-year resident 1/2 block from 3rd & Palou, I am as outraged by these shootings as everyone else. It does not mean however, that "it's getting really wild."
                            >>>
                            >>> A lot of businesses and community members have been working really hard for years to make 3rd Street and other areas of BVHP more economically viable. Now readers just received your printed assessment: stay out of BVHP at all costs, it is nothing but mayhem here.
                            >>>
                            >>> The Editor of the Chronicle also deserves reprimand for allowing this untrue statement to be published. If you wrote this way about North Beach you would be sued for libel.
                            >>>
                            >>> I am asking for the courtesy of a reply to this complaint to be sent to myself and Supervisor Malia Cohen and the Bayview Merchants Association. At a minimum, a written correction or follow-up piece about the defamatory nature of your words should also be seriously considered by the Chronicle editorial staff.
                            >>>
                            >>> Sincerely,
                            >>>
                            >>> Chris Buck
                            >>> 1600 block, Palou Ave
                            >>> 415-596-0436
                            >>>
                            >>> P.S. I will be forwarding this as an open letter to other members of our community
                            >>>
                            >>> Sent from my iPhone

                            new cell (415) 335-3364
                          • Sean Karlin
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jul 4, 2013
                              That I get, and I even witnessed some of the police response around Innes and up the hill in Hunters Point.  But I really want to read the article considering how offended our neighbors felt by it.

                              Sean D. Karlin
                              seandkarlin@...

                              415.265.8691.m

                              On Jul 4, 2013, at 4:34 PM, Dust Wells <dusty.whales@...> wrote:

> [...]

                              >>> The Editor of the Chronicle also deserves reprimand for allowing this untrue statement to be published. If you wrote this way about North Beach you would be sued for libel.
                              >>>
                              >>> I am asking for the courtesy of a reply to this complaint to be sent to myself and Supervisor Malia Cohen and the Bayview Merchants Association. At a minimum, a written correction or follow-up piece about the defamatory nature of your words should also be seriously considered by the Chronicle editorial staff.
                              >>>
                              >>> Sincerely,
                              >>>
                              >>> Chris Buck
                              >>> 1600 block, Palou Ave
                              >>> 415-596-0436
                              >>>
                              >>> P.S. I will be forwarding this as an open letter to other members of our community

                              new cell (415) 335-3364

                            • Dust Wells
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jul 4, 2013
                                they used some glib language to refer to the sociological fact that crime rises when the temperature rises

                                crime goes down when it rains too . . . so that's interesting . . .

                                their language was a step away from being racist

                                but I've lived in the Bayview for over a decade. I know that stop signs are optional on Fridays. that people go crazy here on hot days and on holidays and start spinning donuts in the intersections, so I'm always extra-careful about driving and walking on hot days and I think you should be too

                                I love the Bayview, but be careful . . . don't look at your phone on MUNI, ever!!!

                                Dust

                                On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 5:32 PM, Sean Karlin <seandkarlin@...> wrote:

> [...]

                                >>> The Editor of the Chronicle also deserves reprimand for allowing this untrue statement to be published. If you wrote this way about North Beach you would be sued for libel.
                                >>>
                                >>> I am asking for the courtesy of a reply to this complaint to be sent to myself and Supervisor Malia Cohen and the Bayview Merchants Association. At a minimum, a written correction or follow-up piece about the defamatory nature of your words should also be seriously considered by the Chronicle editorial staff.
                                >>>
                                >>> Sincerely,
                                >>>
                                >>> Chris Buck
                                >>> 1600 block, Palou Ave
                                >>> 415-596-0436
                                >>>
                                >>> P.S. I will be forwarding this as an open letter to other members of our community

                                new cell (415) 335-3364

                                --

                                new cell (415) 335-3364
                              • ivan
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jul 5, 2013
                                  The article is not available online that I can find. Can someone with a hard copy scan and upload the article? Or maybe someone with an online subscription can grab a screenshot.

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jul 5, 2013

                                    Here's the article...

                                    Fire zone: Summer is here and it's getting really wild out in Bayview-Hunters Point - where bullets are flying and cops have seized 131 guns so far this year, with 80 arrests.

                                    Citywide, gun arrests nearly doubled as well, to 225 from 114.

                                    Ironically, however, the rise in gun seizures is making it harder to keep the shooters off the streets.

                                    Consider a recent drive-by shooting in the middle of the day at a bus stop shelter at West Point and Middle Point roads.

                                    Within hours, the cops had identified the shooters as members of the Big Block gang and had sent undercover cops to surround the suspect's' home while awaiting search warrants.

                                    The situation was tense enough, but then one of the cops spotted a member of the rival West Mobb gang lurking in the shadows across the street.

                                    What really got the cops' attention was when he raised what turned out to be a 7.62mm-caliber rifle with an extended 50-round clip, racked the chamber and took aim at the window of the Big Block house.

                                    According to police reports, the cops sprang out of their positions and the gunman took off running - and, as is often the case, tossed the gun away. They're still looking for him.

                                    The next day police were called by a neighbor who had found the rifle in his backyard. It's now undergoing DNA and fingerprint analysis.

                                    Here's the catch - so many guns are being seized that it's taking months for crime-lab techs to run the tests and come back with the results.

                                    And in the meantime, the suspects have to be cut loose, pending the lab findings that can enable the district attorney to bring a case.

                                    Alex via mobile

                                  • Dust Wells
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jul 5, 2013
                                      ya'll mad about that?

                                      "Fire zone: Summer is here and it's getting really wild out in Bayview-Hunters Point - where bullets are flying"

                                      sheesh.

                                      --

                                      new cell (415) 335-3364
                                    • ivan
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jul 6, 2013
                                        Thanks Alex. Definitely has a sensational vibe without context or depth. Typical of the "news".

                                        --- In betterbayview@yahoogroups.com, Alex Lantsberg <lantsberg@...> wrote:

                                        > Here's the article...
                                        >
                                        > Fire zone: Summer is here and it's getting really wild out in
                                        > Bayview-Hunters Point - where bullets are flying and cops have seized 131
                                        > guns so far this year, with 80 arrests.
                                        >
                                        > Citywide, gun arrests nearly doubled as well, to 225 from 114.
                                        >
                                        > Ironically, however, the rise in gun seizures is making it harder to keep
                                        > the shooters off the streets.
                                        >
                                        > Consider a recent drive-by shooting in the middle of the day at a bus stop
                                        > shelter at West Point and Middle Point roads.
                                        >
                                        > Within hours, the cops had identified the shooters as members of the Big
                                        > Block gang and had sent undercover cops to surround the suspect's' home
                                        > while awaiting search warrants.
                                        >
                                        > The situation was tense enough, but then one of the cops spotted a member
                                        > of the rival West Mobb gang lurking in the shadows across the street.
                                        >
                                        > What really got the cops' attention was when he raised what turned out to
                                        > be a 7.62mm-caliber rifle with an extended 50-round clip, racked the
                                        > chamber and took aim at the window of the Big Block house.
                                        >
                                        > According to police reports, the cops sprang out of their positions and the
                                        > gunman took off running - and, as is often the case, tossed the gun away.
                                        > They're still looking for him.
                                        >
                                        > The next day police were called by a neighbor who had found the rifle in
                                        > his backyard. It's now undergoing DNA and fingerprint analysis.
                                        >
                                        > Here's the catch - so many guns are being seized that it's taking months
                                        > for crime-lab techs to run the tests and come back with the results.
                                        >
                                        > And in the meantime, the suspects have to be cut loose, pending the lab
                                        > findings that can enable the district attorney to bring a case.
                                        >
                                        > Alex via mobile
                                        > On Jul 5, 2013 12:35 PM, "ivan" <hulagun66@...> wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > **
                                        > >

                                        > > The article is not available online that I can find. Can someone with a
                                        > > hard copy scan and upload the article? Or maybe someone with an online
                                        > > subscription can grab a screenshot.

                                      • Jeffrey
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jul 25, 2013
                                          Hi All,

                                          If it's useful to you, I'm here on the 2nd and can show people around Quesada Gardens (including Bridgeview Garden and other projects).

                                          If commerce is the angle, Quesada Gardens General Store is nearing launch (with thanks to Earl and All Good for early product development and pop-up store help).

                                          If you want to make the point the business development in the neighborhood shouldn't be a secret, there are 63 posts on the community blog tagged "Business" since mid-2009. http://quesadagardensblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Business

                                          Just FYI, I submitted a letter to the editor after seeing Chris' letter. It didn't get published.

                                          Editor,

                                          In their Monday column, Matier and Ross meander. They say that, while gun seizures and arrests are way up across the City, the time it takes the crime-lab to do gun analysis is so long that suspects often can't be held ("BART drama," July 1). Okay. But why such a long detour to slam just one San Francisco neighborhood?

                                          Guys, come out for a tour of Bayview Hunters Point. I'll show you a beautiful, safe and vibrant place where folks are not what your readers might assume from your column: zoo animals who can't behave when the temperature goes up. You will leave unharmed, I promise, and perhaps enlightened.

                                          Jeffrey Betcher