Re: [betterbayview] Re: AT&T INFRASTRUCTURE "IMPROVEMENTS" PROPOSED

  • Wes Thierry
    Message 1 of 18 , May 6, 2013
      Phone company, comcast, and PGE all use public space for their phone poles etc.... Payphones are in public space, flower stands, coffee booths, probably could come up with more if I think about it long enough.  Its  a pretty common thing in a city.

      On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 5:43 AM, Kristine Enea <kristine@...> wrote:

      What other business gets to use public sidewalk space to pursue a private business?

      Circosta Metals…
      Kristine

    • Morgan D.
      Message 2 of 18 , May 6, 2013
        Or Seyed Alav in the eBay...

      • Sean Karlin
        Message 3 of 18 , May 6, 2013
          Street art would be cool.  Better than a grey box.

          Sean D. Karlin
          seandkarlin@...

          415.265.8691.m

          On May 6, 2013, at 10:18 AM, "Morgan D." <morgantor@...> wrote:

          Or Seyed Alav in the eBay...

        • Dan Dodt
          Message 4 of 18 , May 6, 2013
            and any business with a sandwich board, most locations with a parklet, those with outdoor chairs and tables, various portable food carts around town
            with a sidewalk use permit, etc.  this is not a new development, but rather a boxy and permanent example.

            On May 6, 2013, at 5:43 AM, Kristine Enea wrote:

            What other business gets to use public sidewalk space to pursue a private business?

            Circosta Metals…
            Kristine

          • Jim Hunger
            Message 5 of 18 , May 6, 2013
              Phone booths are almost nonexistent now, but the neglected paper racks are certainly an eyesore. Not sure what coffee booths are, but I have a hard time understanding how anyone could call a flower stand a blight.

              Message 6 of 18 , May 6, 2013
                its not a blight, but in response to the question asked about if private companies can use public space, and the answer is yes, they do all the time.  Now if you dont like the att boxes, thats fine, but its not much different than the other items mentioned.

                Message 7 of 18 , May 7, 2013
                  ...doesn't Circosta have scales integrated into the sidewalk in front of their yard?
                • Jill Fox
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 9, 2013

                    Know I am a little late to this convesation but I think those of you who think ATT boxes will all be cool art projects are being Pollyanna. Better than nothing, but many murals on many boxes might get old as well. My guess is most will look like the one at Evans and Mendell -- an ugly green box that blocks the sidewalk, catches litter, and steals a parking place -- spray painted scrawl says DO NOT BLOCK.  Really giant boxes on the sidewalk is the best they can come up with?

                    As to other private companies using public sidewalks:

                    Power poles are coming down in other cities and other neighborhoods

                    Light poles serve a true public service

                    Single newspaper boxes are being replaced -- in other parts of this city they have been gone for years

                    Phone booths? So twentieth century! :)

                    Perhaps we ask for a mile of undergrounding for every ATT box? At the very least, what if we all advocate that the property owners adjacent to these boxes receive FREE ATT service on the property title forever -- that might make up for the fact that these will certainly lower property values. Or you folks who think they are so great, want to volunteer the front of your property?

                    Jill

                      Sent: Monday, May 6, 2013 3:59:23 PM