Re: [betterbayview] AT&T INFRASTRUCTURE "IMPROVEMENTS" PROPOSED

  • Jim Hunger
    Message 1 of 18 , May 5, 2013
      These boxes are really an ugly visual blight. It would be great if someone could think of a reasonable, clever alternative. Apparently sinking them into the ground doesn't work very well.

      Jim

      Message 2 of 18 , May 5, 2013
        They could but these connector boxes underground as PG&E does but it costs a lot more, so the got the city to give them our sidewalk real estate.  It is all about greed and avarice!
        Michael Hamman
        702 Earl Street
        San Francisco, CA 94124
        415-643-1376 Office
        415-265-0954 Cell
        mhamman@...

        On 5/5/2013 10:38 AM, Jim Hunger wrote:
[...]

        __

        Marc D. Blakeman
        Regional Vice President - External Affairs

        AT&T California
        525 Market Street, Room 1906
        San Francisco, CA  94105
        P: 415.778.1230
        F: 415.543.3766
        M: 415.205.7426
        mb3878@...

        att.com

        Rethink Possible

      • Wes Thierry

          Message 4 of 18 , May 5, 2013
            thematically decorating those things would be awesome.  check out this beautiful work along "the wiggle" by the very talented mona caron.

            The Wiggle
            The WiggleThe Wiggle

          • Michael Hamman
            Message 5 of 18 , May 5, 2013
              Please enplane how it benefits the neighborhood.  it seems to me it only benefits AT&T.  What other business gets to use public sidewalk space to pursue a private business?
              Michael Hamman
              702 Earl Street
              San Francisco, CA 94124
              415-643-1376 Office
              415-265-0954 Cell
              mhamman@...

              Message 6 of 18 , May 5, 2013
                Mona Caron she's truly an artist/activist, I love her work,
                I hope she could decorate most of them and we could have one of her murals in the neighborhood!
              • Wes Thierry
                Message 7 of 18 , May 5, 2013
                  IMHO , the benefit is financial, a cheaper solution to cable and internet.  A metal box on the sidewalk is no more an eyesore than a payphone, a newspaper stand, or even a power line.  This is a city, and things like that are what makes a city conveinient. not everyone will use it, true, but then again, not everyone uses the third street light rail, yet people say that is an improvment to the area.  I rarely use the light rail, and those cement stations in the middle of the street are more of an eye sore to me than anything.

                  On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 7:43 PM, Diego Castellani <deecastellani@...> wrote:

                  Mona Caron she's truly an artist/activist, I love her work,
                  I hope she could decorate most of them and we could have one of her murals in the neighborhood!

                • Kristine Enea
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 6, 2013
                    What other business gets to use public sidewalk space to pursue a private business?

                    Circosta Metals…
                    Kristine
                  • Wes Thierry
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 6, 2013
                      Phone company, comcast, and PGE all use public space for their phone poles etc.... Payphones are in public space, flower stands, coffee booths, probably could come up with more if I think about it long enough.  Its  a pretty common thing in a city.

                      On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 5:43 AM, Kristine Enea <kristine@...> wrote:

                      What other business gets to use public sidewalk space to pursue a private business?

                      Circosta Metals…
                      Kristine

                    • Morgan D.
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 6, 2013
                        Or Seyed Alav in the eBay...

                      • Sean Karlin
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 6, 2013
                          Street art would be cool.  Better than a grey box.

                          Sean D. Karlin
                          seandkarlin@...

                          415.265.8691.m

                          On May 6, 2013, at 10:18 AM, "Morgan D." <morgantor@...> wrote:

                          Or Seyed Alav in the eBay...

                        • Dan Dodt

                            Message 13 of 18 , May 6, 2013
                              Phone booths are almost nonexistent now, but the neglected paper racks are certainly an eyesore. Not sure what coffee booths are, but I have a hard time understanding how anyone could call a flower stand a blight.

                              Message 14 of 18 , May 6, 2013
                                its not a blight, but in response to the question asked about if private companies can use public space, and the answer is yes, they do all the time.  Now if you dont like the att boxes, thats fine, but its not much different than the other items mentioned.

                                Message 15 of 18 , May 7, 2013
                                  ...doesn't Circosta have scales integrated into the sidewalk in front of their yard?
                                • Jill Fox
                                  Message 16 of 18 , May 9, 2013

                                    Know I am a little late to this convesation but I think those of you who think ATT boxes will all be cool art projects are being Pollyanna. Better than nothing, but many murals on many boxes might get old as well. My guess is most will look like the one at Evans and Mendell -- an ugly green box that blocks the sidewalk, catches litter, and steals a parking place -- spray painted scrawl says DO NOT BLOCK.  Really giant boxes on the sidewalk is the best they can come up with?

                                    As to other private companies using public sidewalks:

                                    Power poles are coming down in other cities and other neighborhoods

                                    Light poles serve a true public service

                                    Single newspaper boxes are being replaced -- in other parts of this city they have been gone for years

                                    Phone booths? So twentieth century! :)

                                    Perhaps we ask for a mile of undergrounding for every ATT box? At the very least, what if we all advocate that the property owners adjacent to these boxes receive FREE ATT service on the property title forever -- that might make up for the fact that these will certainly lower property values. Or you folks who think they are so great, want to volunteer the front of your property?

                                    Jill

                                      Sent: Monday, May 6, 2013 3:59:23 PM