AT&T INFRASTRUCTURE "IMPROVEMENTS" PROPOSED

  • Mendell Studio
    Message 1 of 18 , May 3 9:50 PM
      This from AT&T...

      April 30, 2013

      BAYVIEW HILL NEIGHBORHOOD ASSOCIATION

      BETTER BAYVIEW

      THIRD STREET COMMERCIAL CORRIDOR PROGRAM

      Dear Bayview Community Leader:

      I am contacting you to update you on AT&T’s plans to upgrade its broadband experience by bringing AT&T U-verse to your neighborhood.   This upgrade requires the placement of new street-level cabinet within 300 feet of existing telecommunications cabinets.  We are currently working on our MARCH 2014 plans which may include sites within or near your neighborhood.

      These cabinets are a critical component of AT&T’s efforts to upgrade its network in San Francisco. We are committed to addressing the concerns of the community and would like to work with your organization when siting these cabinets.  We have identified the following locations that may be near your neighborhood for our MARCH 2014 build plan:

      1000 JAMESTOWN

      891 BAYSHORE BLVD.

      If your organization would like to be part of the discussion on any of these sites, please contact our community outreach representative at 415/788-1000 ext. 207 by WEDNESDAY, MAY 15, 2013.  When you call, please provide us with the specific location(s) your organization is interested in working with us on.  Please know that we release our build schedule every month so we will continue to contact you whenever there are planned builds in your area.  We received your contact information from the City and County of San Francisco’s Citidex SF website as a community organization representing the Bayview neighborhood.  Please feel free to share this information with any other organization or party that you feel may also be interested in working with us in siting this cabinet.

      You can also find more information about our project at www.att.com/ipnetwork4sf.

      If you have any questions, please contact our community outreach representative Luis Cuadra at 415-788-1000 ext. 207.

      Thank you.

      Sincerely,

      Marc Blakeman

      Regional Vice President – External Affairs

      415-778-1230

      mb3878@...

      __

      Marc D. Blakeman
      Regional Vice President - External Affairs

      AT&T California
      525 Market Street, Room 1906
      San Francisco, CA  94105
      P: 415.778.1230
      F: 415.543.3766
      M: 415.205.7426
      mb3878@...

      att.com

      Rethink Possible

    • Jim Hunger
      Message 2 of 18 , May 5 10:38 AM
        These boxes are really an ugly visual blight. It would be great if someone could think of a reasonable, clever alternative. Apparently sinking them into the ground doesn't work very well.

        Jim

        Message 3 of 18 , May 5 2:37 PM
          They could but these connector boxes underground as PG&E does but it costs a lot more, so the got the city to give them our sidewalk real estate.  It is all about greed and avarice!
          Michael Hamman
          702 Earl Street
          San Francisco, CA 94124
          415-643-1376 Office
          415-265-0954 Cell
          mhamman@...

            Message 5 of 18 , May 5 2:51 PM
              thematically decorating those things would be awesome.  check out this beautiful work along "the wiggle" by the very talented mona caron.

              The Wiggle
              The WiggleThe Wiggle

            • Michael Hamman
              Message 6 of 18 , May 5 3:18 PM
                Please enplane how it benefits the neighborhood.  it seems to me it only benefits AT&T.  What other business gets to use public sidewalk space to pursue a private business?
                Michael Hamman
                702 Earl Street
                San Francisco, CA 94124
                415-643-1376 Office
                415-265-0954 Cell
                mhamman@...

                Message 7 of 18 , May 5 7:43 PM
                  Mona Caron she's truly an artist/activist, I love her work,
                  I hope she could decorate most of them and we could have one of her murals in the neighborhood!
                • Wes Thierry
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 5 7:48 PM
                    IMHO , the benefit is financial, a cheaper solution to cable and internet.  A metal box on the sidewalk is no more an eyesore than a payphone, a newspaper stand, or even a power line.  This is a city, and things like that are what makes a city conveinient. not everyone will use it, true, but then again, not everyone uses the third street light rail, yet people say that is an improvment to the area.  I rarely use the light rail, and those cement stations in the middle of the street are more of an eye sore to me than anything.

                    On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 7:43 PM, Diego Castellani <deecastellani@...> wrote:

                    Mona Caron she's truly an artist/activist, I love her work,
                    I hope she could decorate most of them and we could have one of her murals in the neighborhood!

                  • Kristine Enea
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 6 5:43 AM
                      What other business gets to use public sidewalk space to pursue a private business?

                      Circosta Metals…
                      Kristine
                    • Wes Thierry
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 6 5:47 AM
                        Phone company, comcast, and PGE all use public space for their phone poles etc.... Payphones are in public space, flower stands, coffee booths, probably could come up with more if I think about it long enough.  Its  a pretty common thing in a city.

                        On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 5:43 AM, Kristine Enea <kristine@...> wrote:

                        What other business gets to use public sidewalk space to pursue a private business?

                        Circosta Metals…
                        Kristine

                      • Morgan D.
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 6 10:18 AM
                          Or Seyed Alav in the eBay...

                        • Sean Karlin
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 6 10:55 AM
                            Street art would be cool.  Better than a grey box.

                            Sean D. Karlin
                            seandkarlin@...

                            415.265.8691.m

                            On May 6, 2013, at 10:18 AM, "Morgan D." <morgantor@...> wrote:

                            Or Seyed Alav in the eBay...

                          • Dan Dodt

                              Message 14 of 18 , May 6 3:56 PM
                                Phone booths are almost nonexistent now, but the neglected paper racks are certainly an eyesore. Not sure what coffee booths are, but I have a hard time understanding how anyone could call a flower stand a blight.

                                Message 15 of 18 , May 6 3:59 PM
                                  its not a blight, but in response to the question asked about if private companies can use public space, and the answer is yes, they do all the time.  Now if you dont like the att boxes, thats fine, but its not much different than the other items mentioned.

                                  Message 16 of 18 , May 7 10:29 AM
                                    ...doesn't Circosta have scales integrated into the sidewalk in front of their yard?
                                  • Jill Fox
                                    Message 17 of 18 , May 9 9:43 PM

                                      Know I am a little late to this convesation but I think those of you who think ATT boxes will all be cool art projects are being Pollyanna. Better than nothing, but many murals on many boxes might get old as well. My guess is most will look like the one at Evans and Mendell -- an ugly green box that blocks the sidewalk, catches litter, and steals a parking place -- spray painted scrawl says DO NOT BLOCK.  Really giant boxes on the sidewalk is the best they can come up with?

                                      As to other private companies using public sidewalks:

                                      Power poles are coming down in other cities and other neighborhoods

                                      Light poles serve a true public service

                                      Single newspaper boxes are being replaced -- in other parts of this city they have been gone for years

                                      Phone booths? So twentieth century! :)

                                      Perhaps we ask for a mile of undergrounding for every ATT box? At the very least, what if we all advocate that the property owners adjacent to these boxes receive FREE ATT service on the property title forever -- that might make up for the fact that these will certainly lower property values. Or you folks who think they are so great, want to volunteer the front of your property?

                                      Jill

                                        Sent: Monday, May 6, 2013 3:59:23 PM