Fwd: The City Beneath The City; Learn About San Francisco's Sewers

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 19 12:52 PM

      Header

      Help Improve San Francisco's Sewer System

      Spring is upon us, and so are opportunities for you to get involved in our Sewer System Improvement Program!

      Bringing More Green to a Street Near You

      Join us at our Community Open House for the Mission and Valencia Green Gateway Project, the first green infrastructure project of many to showcase green technologies to manage and treat stormwater. Learn about new green infrastructure technologies that naturally capture, treat, and soak up stormwater before it enters our sewer system as well as the Green Gateway project on Valencia Street between Caesar Chavez and Mission streets. You're welcome to attend anytime during the timeframe below and stay as long as you like.

      When: Saturday, April 27, 10:00am - 1:00pm

      Where: Mission Cultural Center for Latino Arts located at 2868 Mission Street (between 24th and 25th).

      Details: More information can be found at www.missionvalenciagreengateway.eventbrite.com

      Did you know that San Francisco has eight urban watersheds? In an urban watershed, rain runs off hardscapes (streets, rooftops, sidewalks, and parking areas) flowing through catch basins, sewers and treatment plants before being discharged to the San Francisco Bay or Pacific Ocean. Most of this water flows in a network of nearly 1000 miles of sewer pipes that run along the path of historic creeks, marshes, wetlands, and throughout the City below our streets. Help us plan the future of San Francisco's sewer system, safeguard our neighborhoods from flooding, and protect the water quality of the bay and ocean!

      Join us for a lunchtime presentation about the history and future of San Francisco's Channel and Northshore Watersheds. Lunch will be provided and space is limited. Please RSVP in advance here!

      When: Monday, April 29, 12:00pm - 1:00pm

      Where: SFPUC HQ, 525 Golden Gate Avenue, 2nd floor O'Shaughnessy Conference Room (come check out our new LEED Platinum Green headquarters!)

      Let the Rain Soak In! Green Your Block with the Sidewalk Garden Project

      The SFPUC and Friends of the Urban Forest have launched the Sidewalk Garden Project to improve the health of our Urban Watersheds by replacing concrete sidewalks with thriving sidewalk gardens. In 2013, we will be working within the Channel, Northshore and Islais Creek Watersheds on the east side of San Francisco.

      If you live in these areas and can get at least half of the neighbors on your block to participate, you may be eligible for a free sidewalk garden. Learn more here www.fuf.net/sidewalk.

      Sincerely,

      The SFPUC Sewer System Communications Team

      Contact Us
      www.sfwater.org

      FacebookTwitter Logo
      Footer
      This email was sent to lantsberg@... by ssip@... |
      SF Public Utilities Commission | 525 Golden Gate Avenue | San Francisco | CA | 94102