The Spa is OPEN

  • Michael Hamman
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2012
      At long last.  http://www.banyasf.com/
      --
      Signature TEXT

      Michael Hamman
      mhamman@...
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2012

        This place is right down the street from us

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2012
          looks like they worked the PR to get front page coverage in the sunday chronicle style section!

          Cover Story

          BATHHOUSE READY TO MAKE BIG SPLASH

          S.F.’s new
           Archimedes Banya carries on tradition of Russia, ancient Rome

          image.png

          By Beth Hughes

          SPECIAL TO THE CHRONICLE

          Archimedes, the original math geek, discovered the principle of hydrostatics while stepping into his bath. “Eureka!” he exclaimed as water sloshed over the side.

          His breakthrough moment was the realization that when an object is immersed in fluid, it’s buoyed up by a force equal to the weight of the liquid being displaced by the object. The object in this case was Archimedes himself.

          For Mikhail Brodsky, president and rector of Oakland’s Lincoln University, and the owner of the new Archimedes Banya in India Basin, the “Eureka!” moment came when he realized that San Francisco lacked a true Russian bathhouse — and that he could set things right.

          Knowledgeable about baths worldwide — from Tokyo’s
           sento to Britain’s Roman baths — Brodsky began working on his project 12 years ago. The bathhouse is a three-story blend of feelgood bathing techniques incorporating elements of Greek laconica,

          Turkish
           hammam and Russian

          banya,
           with an emphasis on banya traditions. It is scheduled to open to the public today.

          All of it owes some degree of debt to the ancient Greeks and Romans, according to Alissa Whitmore, a doctoral candidate at the University of Iowa who is studying ancient Roman baths.

          “A lot of cultures engage in public bathing … and it tends to be a social activity.

          It is more than just bathing and getting clean. It is a place to do business, and gossip,” she says. Indeed, so much social activity took place in the Roman baths, she pointed out, that Seneca, who lived above one, described
           the noise as close to unbearable.

          Because there are bathing traditions outside Western cultures, such as those in Japan or the practices of American Indians who enjoyed hot springs, she suggests that “people seem to enjoy being in water and interacting in a social way. … There seems to be somechange
          thing about being in warm water and talking. Being in the hot tub with your friends, even swimming pools in the summer, they’re both very social activities that are about something more than getting clean.”

          Nor are we the only sybaritic species. “I’ve seen a video of monkeys together in hot water, and then in a colder pool as well to cool down,” she says.

          Both hot pools and coldwater plunges are on offer at Archimedes, which is a mashup that goes beyond soaking in hot water. There are two Russian saunas, each dominated by customdesigned and tiled stoves heated with negative-ionemitting rocks from Finland, which according to Brodsky ensures the best kind of soft steam.

          The
           hammam features heated tiled seats and scented steam.

          A Finnish sauna creates a bath of hot, dry air for a cleansing
           sweat.

          There are warm pools.

          There are coldwater plunges.

          There’s a roof deck for sunning and a quiet room for thinking about the time before you were
           born.

          And, in the best tradition of the ancient Romans as well as the Russians, there’s food and drink.

          “Don’t call it a spa,” said Brodsky while giving a tour of the newly built Innes Avenue facility, which includes
           treatment rooms formassages, facials, body wraps, body scrubs, herbal and mineral baths, and waxing. “It’s more than a spa.

          There is a spa inside the
           banya.”

          Key to the Russian experience is the
           venik platza, a treatment that is similar to brushing except the practitioner uses veniks, or small branches still bearing dried leaves, for a massage. Birch, oak, juniper, fir and eucalyptus options are available.

          In the
           hammam section, the emphasis is on steam, followed by head-to-foot exfoliation, massage and what is billed as a “relaxation period,” which is a therapeutic way of saying “a nap.”

          There is a clothing-optional area with designated times for men and women that
           to mixed after 8 p.m.

          on Saturdays and Sundays.

          The clothing-required section is always mixed. The pricing starts at $20 for a first-time visit and includes a variety of packages and memberships.

          Seniors, students, teachers, first responders and artists pay $25, $10 less than the basic
           banya pass. Spa services are extra.

          E-mail comments to style@....

          Archimedes Banya:
           10 a.m.midnight Wed.-Mon. 748 Innes Ave., S.F. (415) 206-9000. www.banyasf.com.

          “Don’t call it a spa. It’s more than a spa.”

          Mikhail Brodsky, owner of Archimedes Banya

          Photos by Elena Zhukova

          The Russian tradition
           includes massages performed using small branches bearing dried leaves.

          In the best tradition of the ancient Romans as well as the Russians, food and drink will be served at Archimedes Banya

          On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Michael Hamman <mhamman@...> wrote:

          At long last.  http://www.banyasf.com/

        • ivan
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 2, 2012
            Wow! Is it in the Albion Brewery Castle? That'd be super COOL!

            Although their website made me chuckle, not because of the nudity but rather the photo of the couple wielding a whole fish and a tankard of beer while immersed in a pool... that is outright comical. A few of the other photos seemed to also have a comedic bent, like something from The Onion.

            Hopefully the food and drink aspect of the business is a bigger focus than the website implies. If so, it might give another option for after-work drinks with friends, which is most comfortably done with clothes on. (I sure miss Dago Mary's).

            Not quite sure about it's success in this neighborhood, but it will be very interesting to check it out.

            Ivan

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 2, 2012

              Unfortunately its not at the albion castle but further towards the shipyard across the street.

              On Jan 2, 2012 11:11 AM, "ivan" <hulagun66@...> wrote:

              Wow! Is it in the Albion Brewery Castle? That'd be super COOL!

              Although their website made me chuckle, not because of the nudity but rather the photo of the couple wielding a whole fish and a tankard of beer while immersed in a pool... that is outright comical. A few of the other photos seemed to also have a comedic bent, like something from The Onion.

              Hopefully the food and drink aspect of the business is a bigger focus than the website implies. If so, it might give another option for after-work drinks with friends, which is most comfortably done with clothes on. (I sure miss Dago Mary's).

              Not quite sure about it's success in this neighborhood, but it will be very interesting to check it out.

              Ivan

              --- In betterbayview@yahoogroups.com, Alex Lantsberg <lantsberg@...> wrote:

              > looks like they worked the PR to get front page coverage in the sunday
              > chronicle style section!
              >
              > *Cover Story**
              >
              > BATHHOUSE READY TO MAKE BIG SPLASH**
              >
              > S.F.'s new** Archimedes Banya** carries on tradition of Russia, ancient Rome
              > *

            • Jill Fox
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 2, 2012

                This is not the Albion Castle. It is the gigantic beige building on the water side of Innes between Alrelious Walker (aka Fitch Street) and Earl.

                I am not against alcohol, but … just wondering if others remember a bar being part of the concept we heard about. At that time it was all about being a spa.

                Jill

                Wow! Is it in the Albion Brewery Castle? That'd be super COOL!

                Although their website made me chuckle, not because of the nudity but rather the photo of the couple wielding a whole fish and a tankard of beer while immersed in a pool... that is outright comical. A few of the other photos seemed to also have a comedic bent, like something from The Onion.

                Hopefully the food and drink aspect of the business is a bigger focus than the website implies. If so, it might give another option for after-work drinks with friends, which is most comfortably done with clothes on. (I sure miss Dago Mary's).

                Not quite sure about it's success in this neighborhood, but it will be very interesting to check it out.

                Ivan

                --- In betterbayview@yahoogroups.com, Alex Lantsberg <lantsberg@...> wrote:

                > looks like they worked the PR to get front page coverage in the sunday
                > chronicle style section!
                >
                > *Cover Story**
                >
                > BATHHOUSE READY TO MAKE BIG SPLASH**
                >
                > S.F.'s new** Archimedes Banya** carries on tradition of Russia, ancient Rome
                > *

              • Michael Hamman
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 2, 2012
                  The housing above the Spa was not part of the original deal either.  Apparently they are not even going to try to market it in this economic environment.
                  Michael Hamman
                  702 Earl Street
                  San Francisco, CA 94124
                  415-643-1376 Office