Re: [betterbayview] SFPD Bayview Police Captain's Meeting

  • Mendell Studio
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 2, 2011
      The broken link worked for me too. A whole 6 block stretch of my street is one of the hotspots! So much so that it also got a 2nd mention as a hotspot within the hotspot! 2 of 25. What's the opposite of creme de la creme?

      Like graffiti, it the trash remains, it encourages more dumping. Call 311 and ask for a pick up. Especially important to call if you see toxins like oils. So much of DPW's resources go to picking up illegal dumping. Think how the city could shine if those resources were diverted back into sidewalk repair, curb ramps, pot hole repair and tree plantings.

      We have to keep building pride in our community so these people who are dumping on it gain enough self respect to start participating in improving the quality of life for their neighbors. We help ourselves by helping others.

      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 3, 2011
        What's the opposite of creme de la creme?

        bottom of the barrel. :)

      • Jim Hunger
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 3, 2011
          Cool—I just assumed it wouldn't because the line below looked different.

          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 3, 2011
            Jes,

            My understanding has been that households are supposed to have garbage service, and if they don't put out cans, but instead just dump on the street, they can be cited, and Recology will help in the process. They may want some kind of back-up evidence (pic of miscreants dumping ideally, although it might help to have pic on garbage day with everyone's cans out, but none at their place, and dumped garbage in the vicinity).

            All dumping carries a hefty fine, but they hesitate to prosecute without more than a neighbor's comment. Dumping of hazardous materials is a BIG no-no, and the garage could be closed if it's egregious. Also, it's illegal to work on cars on the streets, so if you see it, you can report it at 553-0123, or with Capt. Chignell. It's common knowledge that the people doing this can pretty much be counted on to leave their debris and hazardous materials in the street.

            Jim

            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 4, 2011
              > Also, it's illegal to work on cars
              > on the streets, so if you see it, you can report it at 553-0123, or with Capt.
              > Chignell. It's common knowledge that the people doing this can pretty much be
              > counted on to leave their debris and hazardous materials in the street.

              Hey I disagree! While this comment is obviously not aimed at me personally, I'd prefer NOT have a well-meaning neighbor report me for working on my car at home. I recycle my used oil religiously, same with old batteries. I'm really good about NOT leaving debris on the street, and I keep my curb and sidewalk cleaner than most of my neighbors do!

              Auto parts retailers in SF are required to accept used batteries and oil. The transfer facility on Tunnel Ave will also take them free of charge. Lowe's and most hardware stores take old batteries (as well as old fluorescent lamps). However, if you see a dumped container that looks like used oil or solvents, or old car batteries, immediately dial 311 and report it. The DPW will come remove it very quickly.

              Ivan
              Message 6 of 15 , Nov 4, 2011
                You are a good example and I'm sure are not one of the chronic dumpers who residents are concerned about. All the same you make a good point.

                I feel the same when dog owners are maligned for leaving poop in tree basins or on neighbors sidewalks. It's not everyone with a dog, and I don't mind people saying, "You're picking that up right?" Dumping of any sort is inexcusable and just not neighborly.

                Matt

                --- In betterbayview@yahoogroups.com, "ivan" <hulagun66@...> wrote:

                > > Also, it's illegal to work on cars
                > > on the streets, so if you see it, you can report it at 553-0123, or with Capt.
                > > Chignell. It's common knowledge that the people doing this can pretty much be
                > > counted on to leave their debris and hazardous materials in the street.
                > >

                > Hey I disagree! While this comment is obviously not aimed at me personally, I'd prefer NOT have a well-meaning neighbor report me for working on my car at home. I recycle my used oil religiously, same with old batteries. I'm really good about NOT leaving debris on the street, and I keep my curb and sidewalk cleaner than most of my neighbors do!
                >
                > Auto parts retailers in SF are required to accept used batteries and oil. The transfer facility on Tunnel Ave will also take them free of charge. Lowe's and most hardware stores take old batteries (as well as old fluorescent lamps). However, if you see a dumped container that looks like used oil or solvents, or old car batteries, immediately dial 311 and report it. The DPW will come remove it very quickly.
                >
                > Ivan

              • Jim Hunger
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 6, 2011

                  Ivan, none of your neighbors would consider you a problem street car-repairing person. If I saw you working on your car, I would assume you're conscientious about cleaning up after yourself and turning recyclables in at the proper locations. It's the people we see on the streets that we KNOW are not going to recycle or clean up that are the problem. Even though you can turn toxic stuff in (batteries, oil, etc.) they think nothing of dumping it on the street. This is also true of people who throw their other garbage on the street, and litterers who throw their waste on the sidewalk even if they're standing next to a garbage can! While 311 will come out and clean up--except, of course, the oil dumped in the gutter, etc.--this is an expensive solution to a problem that would be better to stop at the source. An expensive ticket may be one of the most effective ways to make people trashing the neighborhood stop.