Re: [betterbayview] Fwd: SFPUC Lunchtime Talk -- Introduction to Graywater

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2011
      OK.

      graywater specifically refers to water that's been used once and can be reused again for a non-consumptive use.  examples include using your dishwater, washing machine discharge, and shower water in the garden and your bathroom wash water to flush your toilet.  the stuff you pull from your roof is stormwater harvesting and the PUC has programs for that too.

      in terms of getting some savings, yes you can. it'll happen two ways.  in the case of graywater, reusing water results in less consumption. for stormwater and landscape reuse, you'll notice that your bill comes with something called a flow-factor, which is how the PUC assesses your sewer rate charge.  if you're keeping water out of the system then you can get your flow factor reduced.

      so yes, you can save money (and water) a couple of ways doing this

      On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Jim Hunger <jimhunger@...> wrote:

      I can't get away for a mid-week lunch talk, Alex, but I was wondering: would "graywater" include rain run-off from the roof? I've thought it would be great to capture this for garden watering. I think the city charges for number of sewer accesses, including roof drains. It would be great if the added benefit was a reduced sewer bill.