Planning Meeting for India Basin Area, 8/1/2007, 6:00 pm

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31, 2007

      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      From: Indiabasin@yahoogroups.com < Indiabasin@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: 1 Aug 2007 00:58:14 -0000
      Subject: [Indiabasin] Planning Meeting for India Basin Area, 8/1/2007, 6:00 pm
      To: Indiabasin@yahoogroups.com

      Title: Planning Meeting for India Basin Area

      Date: Wednesday August 1, 2007
      Time: 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
      Location: Our Lady of Lourdes - 851 Hawes
      Notes: Meeting about the upcoming planning efforts including India basin Neighborhood.

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2007
        Found my flyer from the last meeting. Says it's 410 Hawes, though I
        couldn't find 410 nor 851 Hawes on Mapquest.

        Most importantly the flyer says... refreshments and snacks will be
        provided. ;)

        For more info contact...

        Supv. Maxwells office - Connie Chan 415.554.7670 connie.chan@...

        SF Redevelopment Agency Kelley Kahn 415.749.2419 kelley.kahn@...
        www.sfgov.org/sfra

        SF Planning Dept. Jon Lau 415.558.6383 jon.lau@...
        www.sfplanning.org

        Para sa impormasyan sa Tagalog tumawag sa: 558-6251

        Para informacon en Espanol llamar al: 558--6307

        --- In betterbayview@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Lantsberg"
        <lantsberg@...> wrote:

> [...]
        Wednesday August

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2007
          the location is at the community space of 'our lady of lourdes' church between hudson and innes aves on hawes street.  hope to see y'all there tonight...

          aml

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 2007
            Really good turn out at tonight's meeting, and really good
            sandwiches, including a vegan/vegetarian choice, chips, soda and
            vegetable tray with dip.

            The redevelopment agency and planning department draft was discussed
            in mostly abstract ways as the use and zoning of this land is still
            being figured out, with community input. There was a strong sense
            from the people at the meeting that we in the community want a usable
            waterfront for recreation and small businesses, with some
            residential. No large big box stores around India Basin nor high rise
            high density residential towers. The preference is for it to be a
            destination for residents of BHP, SF, and even tourists.

            Needed is improved access to the waterfront for pedestrians,
            bicyclists, and motorists by creating new roads, sidewalks, and
            walkable green streetscapes. To my delight mention of a designated
            off leash dog park was also suggested.

            To find out what we need there was a worksheet in the welcome folder
            and even cool India Basin Postcards.

            Residents mentioned that we need some things fixed now, and can not
            wait for this plan coming years down the road. Overall it was very
            positive and another great opportunity for building community.

            Attending were at least 4 Bayview Project Area Committee (PAC)
            members, and at least two Citizen's Advisory Committee (CAC) members,
            maybe a half dozen India Basin Neighborhood Association members and 4
            or 5 people from Better Bayview. Those of you who could make it,
            please add anything I've missed.

            Matt

            connie.chan@...<connie.chan%40sfgov.org>

            kelley.kahn@...<kelley.kahn%40sfgov.org>

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 2, 2007
              yes, the meeting was well attended and there was a palpable desire on the part of participants to see some good community serving development that brings with it the services and amenities that other neighborhoods in the city enjoy.  it wasn't clearly articulated at the meeting, but there are several large landowners who between them control about 3/4 of the developable land in the area.  two landowners control about 2/3 of the currently fallow land (about 20 acres of PG&E property and another 12 or so acres in the india basin flats).  while there is most definitely little to no support for high-rise towers, development at a more reasonable though still somewhat intense scale would get support.  the trick is to make sure its done right in terms of urban design and that it indeed does bring along the types of uses that we all want to see.

              for those interested in helping move our neighborhood's efforts along, i ask you to join us in working to make the shipwright's cottage at 900 Innes a San Francisco landmark.  this  c.1870 italianate cottage is among the last remaining remnants of the active boat building and fishing community that existed in india basin.  the neighbors want to landmark it, while a developer most associated with the notorious residential builders association wants to demolish it and put 160 condos right on the water and directly adjacent to india basin shoreline park.  if you want to join the fun in getting this little gem landmarked and eventually restored, please contact me off the list.

              last thing...i am expecting to get copies of the 'worksheet' forms handed out in yesterday's meeting and will post them to this list so that y'all can weigh in support of our efforts.

              thanks everyone
              alex