Re: [betterbayview] The Police

  • Dust Wells
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 11, 2011
      Just the other day --last tuesday-- I heard some young adult black males threaten to kill a teenage girl they had surrounded outside the Opera House

      I called it in and the police swept in and arrested two of the guys who had guns in their pockets.

      then the "activists" started throwing bottles at the cops and calling them fascists.

      i just don't get it.

      how can a mob of guys murdering a teenage girl be wrongly accused and victims of racial profiling?

      on the other hand, the SF DA called me to testify against the guys. they're locking them up.

      i love cops. i wish we had more cops in the 94124

      On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 12:19 PM, Chris Waddling <cawaddling@...> wrote:

      FYI,

      At tonight¹s SECF Commission meeting, 1800 Oakdale, 6PM, Chief Suhr is on
      the agenda:

      Topic: discuss the issues pertaining to crime, law and fair justice as
      related to the underrepresented residents of San Francisco.

      Thanks,

      Chris

      From: Jim Hunger <jimhunger@...>
      Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 12:16:16 -0700 (PDT)
      To: Better Bayview <betterbayview@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [betterbayview] The Police

      That's a great idea, Ivan! When we first moved in 13 years ago, our
      neighbors thought we were cops, and many of our neighbors (Asian especially)
      expressed gratitude that we were willing to move to BHP. Positive-energy
      newcomers are always a plus for any neighborhood, but especially one like
      ours.

      As far as the police handling of the Mendell Plaza shooting, I'm really
      tired of city agencies and nonprofits having meetings in Bayview and
      allowing unhappy street people and "activists" from the projects with a
      victim mentality to co-opt public meetings. It should be absolutely
      unacceptable for a rowdy bunch to take control of a meeting and put an end
      to any possiblity of intelligent and productive discussion. The press always
      reports on it as if they are the voice of BHP, but they only speak for their
      own small minority. I'm out on the streets a lot, and most people don't even
      go to these meetings because they know that the noisy victim types will
      negate any possibility for productive discourse. Any public meeting should
      have strict rules of behavior. Anyone who doesn't take their turn to speak
      during the scheduled time for public comment, should be thrown out. Police
      should be at all the meetings and prepared to arrest anyone who is
      disruptive even after being thrown out. People should also be obligated to
      speak on topic and within the time limits. Threats and violence should never
      be allowed. Matt and I used to go to a lot of community meetings, but we got
      tired of wasting our time and being unwilling witnesses to this kind of
      dysfunctionality.

      Personally, I'm appalled at anyone who would try to paint Kenneth Harding as
      a victim of police racism when he was an ex-con convicted of attempting to
      pimp out a 14-year-old black girl, beating her up in the process, and was a
      person of interest in the murder of a young African American woman and her
      unborn child. This, in a nutshell, is what is destroying the African
      American community and culture. African Americans are the victims of
      monsters like this and should be outraged at him for his crimes against
      members of the black community‹or for that matter, against anyone of any
      ethnicity. Martin Luther King fought for integration, and we're all stronger
      and better as a diverse community if we ALL work together for it.

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 11, 2011
        I agree with everything Jim Hunger says about the few disrupting the democratic process in the Bayview.  i have been on the PAC and involved in other groups for over 12 years now and in that time I have received more that my share of abuse and ridicule.  Like many of you i have long wondered why this is allowed to continue.  i am now of the opinion that this is deliberate and encouraged by the powers that be to keep this neighborhood disenfranchised and impotent.  City Hall does not want a truly democratic Bayview because such a neighborhood would not allow them free reign to do what ever they want our here.  Redevelopment is a classic example.  They are now set up to grab ALL the property increase from all development in the Bayview and all they have to pay out are some bribes to local "non-profits".  this will make someone very very rich but the minute anyone starts to talk about it a very small group of the usual suspects screams racism and the media calls them the voice of the "hood"

        This extreme dis-functionality is not an accident!

        Michael Hamman
        mhamman@...

        --

        new cell (415) 335-3364
      • Ivan T
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 12, 2011
          Thank You Dustin for your actions relevant to the thugs assaulting the girl.

          Ivan
        • Ivan T
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 12, 2011
            Re: The Police
            Posted by: "Michael Hamman" mhamman@...   lmhamman
            >I agree with everything Jim Hunger says about the few disrupting the
            democratic process in the Bayview. ... Like many of you i have long
            wondered why this is allowed to continue. i am now of the opinion that
            this is deliberate and encouraged by the powers that be to keep this
            neighborhood disenfranchised and impotent. City Hall does not want a
            truly democratic Bayview because such a neighborhood would not allow
            them free reign to do what ever they want our here. ....<

            This is an intriguing line of reasoning. Certainly it could explain why there is so little action at public meetings to deal with meeting hijackers. It might even explain why local media loves to quote colorful characters more often than otherwise credible but dull citizens. And perhaps explain why the SFPD would schedule a public meeting knowing full well it would devolve into a shout-down. SFPD may be dull-witted (and easily made a pawn of a larger scheme), but I find it hard to believe that there is a secret agenda coordinating multiple city agencies in order to develop Bayview for massive profits. Hopefully City Hall just can't be that smart... but they often seem to make self-serving, greedy and stupid decisions and maybe there is a method to that madness.

            Or blame the Chinese organized crime syndicates that actually already run this town.  hahaha

            Interestingly the local Bay Area "Black News" sources often promulgate racist conspiracy theories but unfortunately these media reflectors tend to be entirely non-credible. Their clearly biased stories pander to and seem to be taken as fact by many of our neighbors (who I do talk to about these things, carefully). If there is a conspiracy by City Hall, it would be bitterly ironic that these paranoid and amateurish local media sources are playing right along. Perhaps someone on this list can pass the idea along to the "Black News" community that angry writing tone, illogical and inflammatory syntax, glorification or sanctifying of known criminals, and unsubtle racism may be aiding a major conspiracy by "the man".

            Back to the Harding shooting, I do not agree that the police should arrest shouters and disruptors at any public meeting, especially not one regarding police actions. An open public meeting sounds well-intended but everyone knows it can be a bad place for civil discussion. Calling it a "media conference" or even a "community leader meeting" instead, where attendees are vetted or screened, would be much smarter. Press and community leaders attending would then have an investment in behaving civilly.

            The Harding shooting was routine police business. If he was white or hispanic or asian it would be forgotten already and no shrine would be erected where he fell. Yes there are legitimate questions about what happened, as there should be for any shooting. But there are far more important issues in our community needing attention than this small-time thug who seemingly deserved what he got.

            Ivan
          • Vaughn, Carla
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 17, 2011

              Dear Dust:

              On behalf of all mothers that care about their teenage daughters and worry about them on a continual basis -  THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for calling the police on those bums.  This type of behavior is prevalent in the black community unfortunately due on part to a culture that dehumanizes and exploits the psyche and sexuality of our young ladies through the misguided entertainment industry.   A co-worker of mine recently lost her 23 year old daughter to similar street violence.

              Regards,

              Carla Vaughn

              Executive Secretary II

              Southeast Community Facility Commission