contractor recommendations?

  • Ivan T
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 13, 2007
      Anyone have a recommendation for a service who could
      come pressure wash our house exterior? It's gonna
      require ladders or a lift.

      Also will eventually need a chimney cleaning service,
      and an interior painter who also does stripping and
      sanding.

      More interested in capable friendly people than in the
      lowest bidder.

      We used a roofing contractor and a floor refinisher
      that seem to have done a great job affordably if
      anyone needs either.

      Ivan

      Bored stiff? Loosen up...
      http://games.yahoo.com/games/front
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 13, 2007
        We found our chimny sweep through the Good Service Guide. A free
        small yellow pages type book which only lets reputable contractors
        advertise with them. They pride themselves on weeding out the bad
        seeds.

        You can phone 415-642-9990 to request a free guide be mailed to you
        or visit them online at
        http://www.goodserviceguide.com/guide/san_francisco

        I probably have a receipt somewhere with the chimney sweep's name. We
        had the service almost a year ago. I was happy to find out burning
        real wood was better. The pressed wood products like Duraflame leave
        more sooty deposits. Burning seasoned wood not green is also better.

        Found this advice online regarding wood stoves, but the lesson
        applies...

        The main reason a pressed log (Duraflame) is not to be used in a wood
        stove is it puts out too much concentrated energy (heat) and can
        damage the stove. Another reason is they produce much more residue
        (sooty deposits) in the chimney. Interestingly, the deposits contain
        very little creosote. However, when pressed logs are burned in some
        fires and real wood is burned during other fires, you have an extra
        hazard. The smoke from wood fires will rapidly cool, condense and
        collect upon the pressed log residue and creosote from the cord wood
        fires will multiply at an alarming rate.

        We found a good plumber "Grace Santana" through the guide. And by
        chance found another good plumber in the regular yellow
        pages... "Travis of Smelly Mels".

        "John Wilson" in the guide is also good with garage doors.

        I can tell you who NOT to hire to paint your house, build a deck, or
        install windows.

        Matt

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 12, 2007
          This is the chimney sweep we used a year ago. No complaints.

          Warm Solutions
          dba American Chimney Services
          431 Grand Ave. S. San Fran. 94080
          650.583.2393

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 25, 2008
            Anyone have one or more of the following they can recommend?

            - Chimney Sweep
            - Cyclone Fence Contractor
            - Termite and Pest Control

            Thanks-

            Ivan
          • wmontgomery

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 25, 2008
                With all the winter spare-the-air days in the offing, are we going to
                get to use our fireplaces ever again?

                How about using one or two of those chimney sweeping logs (CSLs)? Do
                they work?

                Chris
              • Ivan
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 26, 2008
                  --- In betterbayview@yahoogroups.com, "cawaddling" <waddling@...> wrote:

                  > With all the winter spare-the-air days in the offing, are we going to
                  > get to use our fireplaces ever again?

                  We just want it inspected after long disuse. Might be an elf stuck in
                  there...

                  We're considering installing a gas log for special occasions.

                  Real fires are wonderful, but they do tend to put out a lot of soot.

                  Thanks-
                  Ivan
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 26, 2008
                    we picked a chimney sweep out of the good service guide.
                    http://goodserviceguide.com/

                    i think they were based in south sf

                    we used terminex 10 years ago. liked the guy.

                    we've talked to a fence guy, but not cyclone fence.