Environmental Justice Subcommitee for PUC looking for Membership

  • ljsmimosa
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 12, 2010
      Friends:

      We are looking for more public participation for our EJ Citizens Advisory Commitee as well as additional membership. Can you send out Tommorow's Agenda to your respective listserves?

      Its really important we have more Bayview Representation on this commitee!

      Thanks!
      Laurie
      __________________
      Environmental Justice Citizens Advisory Commitee
      The Environmental Justice Working Group was formed in 2004 to support the SFPUC in developing and implementing a set of Guidelines that would provide meaningful direction for the Utility as it: 1) expends capital on repair, maintenance, and new infrastructure creation; 2) delivers services, programs, and program benefits; and 3) distributes the impacts, byproducts, and externalities of its day-to-day operations both within San Francisco and throughout the region. The Committee recognizes that the PUC is at the very frontline of resource management in San Francisco. There is no other agency that has so much direct impact for the thousands of San Franciscans that depend on this very agency for life's vital resources.

      Environmental justice refers to the development and implementation of development, maintenance, and operation policies that encourage equal distribution of the risks and benefits of actions that affect the health of all San Francisco's Citizens and our environment in a fair and equitable manner and encourages the involvement of all affected parties in the decision making process. The EJCAC successfully got the PUC Commission to adopt a landmark EJ working policy in November 2009. We are seeking new members to join us as we move foreward to seek implementation strategies for the EJ Policy.

      Its really important we have more Bayview Representation on this commitee!

      If you are interested, please call Laurie Schoeman @ 415.694.1555
      Thanks,
      Laurie

      Project Manager
      EcoCenter at Heron's Head Park
      p. 415.282.6840
      cell. 415.694.1555
      Literacy for Environmental Justice
      800 Innes Avenue, Suite 11
      San Francisco, CA 94124
      www.lejyouth.org
      http://www.vimeo.com/2642263

      "The point of cities is multiplicity of choice"
      Jane Jacobs