San Francisco Beautiful Call For Beautification Award Nominations

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2010
      Maybe we can get another winner in the neighborhood like past winner Quesada Gardens. - Matt

      This from the SF Beautiful Newsletter.

      San Francisco Beautiful
      Call For Beautification Award Nominations

      In This Issue
      Examples of Past Beautification Award Winners
      Nominate An Entry
      Quick Links
      San Francisco Beautiful Beautification Awards
      Save the Date: Awards Dinner on October 13 at the Mark Hopkins Awards Dinner Tickets

      Beautification Award Nomination Deadline: April 12

      San Francisco Beautiful's Annual Beautification Awards highlight and celebrate exceptional projects, efforts and outcomes by individuals, organizations, businesses and coalitions which create, protect, enhance or affirm the livability and beauty of San Francisco. This year's theme, "Celebrating Our Urban Villages", will focus on efforts which reflect a commitment to the value of our distinct neighborhoods and districts which through their number, variety, human scale, sense of community, ability to inspire civic and social engagement, and sense of place underlie the positive character of our city, and enhance the quality of experience for residents and visitors. While the existence of these distinct areas has been consistently identified as one of the defining characteristics of San Francisco and an aspect which makes it a place people want to be, they remain under threat from insensitive development, insufficiently wise public policies or conflicting desires for centralization, economies of scale and trends toward uniformity.

      Help us illuminate efforts which have enhanced the quality of your experience in important ways, and efforts which reflect a commitment to a future about which we can be genuinely enthusiastic and in which we can take pride creating for those who come after us.

      Examples of Past

      Beautification Award Winners

      Lake Merced restoration

      Octavia Boulevard creation

      Conservatory of Flowers restoration

      Visitacion Valley Greenway creation

      Duboce Triangle Neighborhood Assn & Friends of Duboce Park for park enhancements

      Quesada Gardens Initiative

      Adah Bakalinsky, author, Stairway Walks in San Francisco

      Amy Meyer & D. Edgar Wayburn, People for a Golden Gate National Recreation Area

      Immigrant Point Lookout and Batteries to Bluffs Trail Network creation

      Mt Sutro Native habitat restoration

      24th Street Mini-Park rehabilitation

      16th Avenue Tiled Steps design and implementation

      Yerba Buena Gardens creation

      Mission Creek habitat restoration

      Parque Ninos Unidos enhancements

      16th Street BART Plaza redesign

      Daniel E. Koshland Park and Community Garden rehabilitation

      Glen Canyon Park habitat restoration

      Randall Museum enhancements

      Chinese Historical Society of America Museum and Learning Center restoration

      Monroe Elementary School mosaic murals creation

      The passage of Prop J (2008) creating the Historic Preservation Commission

      ClementinaCares South of Market alleyway improvements

      Piers 1 1/2, 3 & 5 restoration

      Shotwell Greenway creation

      Ocean Avenue beautification

      Nominate An Entry
      Print this form or click here for a .pdf version

      Nominated entries must be located or active in San Francisco and for physical projects be fully visible or physically accessible to the general public. Nominations are due at Noon on Monday, April 12th. Award winners are selected by San Francisco Beautiful's Award Jury and winners will be notified in early May. Awards will be publicly presented at SFB's Beautification Awards Dinner on October 13th at the Mark Hopkins Intercontinental Hotel. For questions or assistance with your application, contact San Francisco Beautiful at awards@....

      Nominated project (name/title/event/program)

      Location or address of project

      Sponsor(s)/owner(s)/organizer(s)/primary volunteer(s) responsible [Contact info for all]

      If different, names and contact info for other persons who can provide knowledgeable information about the entry.

      Telephone/fax/email

      If different from above:

      Your name

      Your address

      Your telephone/fax/email

      Please also provide the following:

      Description of nominated project. If available, include before and after photos. Submissions can be made in hard copy or electronically.

      Reasons for nominating including special qualities or benefits to San Francisco residents and visitors.

      Send by Noon on April 12th to:

      San Francisco Beautiful

      100 Bush Street, Sutie 1580, San Francisco, CA 94104

      Fax: 415.421.4037;awards@...

      For details, call 415.421.2608x12.

      SAVE THE DATE:

      Plan to attend our Beautification Awards Dinner on October 13th at the Mark Hopkins Intercontinental Hotel when we honor the 2010 Beautification Award winners.

      Hope to hear from you soon with some fantastic Beautification Award nominations. Good Luck!

      Sheila Kolenc
      Deputy Director
      kolenc@...

      San Francisco Beautiful | 100 Bush Street, Suite 1580 | San Francisco | CA | 94104